Revell PzIV H, winter cammo.

A place for your pictures and tips
panzerman47

Revell PzIV H, winter cammo.

Post by panzerman47 » 09 Jan 2020, 20:01

Another one just getting under the wire, a Revell Pz IV H, in winter cammo..... ;)

Just trying to get as much done before the deadline, (both life and hobby...), then new thinking and new gaming/modelling will apply..... ;)

Richard B.

Re: Revell PzIV H, winter cammo.

Post by Richard B. » 10 Jan 2020, 09:11

I love this, the faded winter camo is just superb :D

Your basing is brilliant also :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

panzerman47

Post by panzerman47 » 10 Jan 2020, 09:25

Cheers Richard, many thanx!

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 10 Jan 2020, 09:59

Love the panel effect on the side skirts...makes you cold just looking at that ,superb as usual thanks for posting John :D :D :D :D Is that real ice ;) :D

panzerman47

Post by panzerman47 » 10 Jan 2020, 10:17

Thank you too John! And not real ice, that’s in the wee dram I had after... ;)

cartfc

Post by cartfc » 11 Jan 2020, 02:54

Lovely work. Nice kit too.

Cheers Fred.

CarlL

Post by CarlL » 13 Jan 2020, 14:54

panzerman47,
indeed, as others have noted, a splendid paint job!

You must remind us all about your painting techniques and give us plodders with paint brush only, some tips on how to vary our style, as I guess you are using some spray set up for these lovely vehicles paint jobs!
After fifty plus years relying on 00, 0, 1 & 2 and small flat paint brushes (for dry brushing), I could be tempted to repaint some of my old kits in imitation of your style if I could work out the right kit and methods!

CarlL

panzerman47

Post by panzerman47 » 13 Jan 2020, 19:00

CarlL wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 14:54
panzerman47,
indeed, as others have noted, a splendid paint job!

You must remind us all about your painting techniques and give us plodders with paint brush only, some tips on how to vary our style, as I guess you are using some spray set up for these lovely vehicles paint jobs!
After fifty plus years relying on 00, 0, 1 & 2 and small flat paint brushes (for dry brushing), I could be tempted to repaint some of my old kits in imitation of your style if I could work out the right kit and methods!

CarlL
Just buy yourself a basic dual action airbrush (Aztec 470) and a cheap compressor (Testors Blue Compressor) , use only Tamiya paints with about 30 to 40% thinners added, and give it a go.

I knew nothing when I started, and tbh don’t know much more now when compared to the experts, but I’ve found a method that seems to work...

Airbrush on undercoat....
Add thin blackwash.....
Re-apply base coat thinly, leaving edges and panel lines intact...
Add 3 tone or whatever cammo you are doing...
Lighten the base coat/ three tone etc and spray into the centre of panels etc to create highlights....
Spray from a 6” distance the base coat, and then a mud/Earth color for dust/mud effects
Dry brush on highlights as normal,
Simples!

granty101

Post by granty101 » 14 Jan 2020, 07:32

panzerman47 wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 19:00

Just buy yourself a basic dual action airbrush (Aztec 470) and a cheap compressor (Testors Blue Compressor) , use only Tamiya paints with about 30 to 40% thinners added, and give it a go.
Carl, now I am being serious...really!! If you buy a basic set up as John has advised, I'd start off with a large piece of cheap plastic card, and use that to spray onto until you get the hang of the airbrush..i.e, it's touch (weight), the trigger action, (as it can a bit tricky to get the right pressure), paint flow, etc...that way, you won't 'muck up' a kit until you're ready, or feel confident to airbrush it.

Grant

P.S. Badger used to do a basic airbrush kit that contained an airbrush, paint holding jar, and a can of compressed air...not sure if they are still available, but worth a Google. Or you might just want to try a using a 'rattle' can of spray paint, then brush paint in your camo pattern or highlights.

Hope that helps?
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

panzerman47

Post by panzerman47 » 14 Jan 2020, 09:50

Echo Granty’s thoughts for sure.... 8-)

Some people have an old wrecked/spare model and use that to practice on. Have a faff about. Some of my best techniques I came across totally by accident, whilst I was trying to achieve something else.

Apart from the basecoat, it seems best to spray on many thin layers rather than one thick one.
Plus the thinner the paint the better the flow and also less tip drying occurs on the nozzle.
Also progressively lighten the color you are using as you build up a lighter color towards the centre of each area being sprayed.
An advantage of using Tamiya is that they go on so thinly that if you totally screw something up, just overspray it and start again, no-one will know.