Any other Modern gamers ?

Conflicts and wars from the end of the Second World War to the end of the 20th century.
SOTCW799

Re: Any other Modern gamers ?

Post by SOTCW799 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:38 pm

Seret have you tried "Fist Full of TOW's" ? changed from WRG to these about 14 years ago. Tried Modern Spearhead, but did not like some aspects of the rules.

Seret

Post by Seret » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:27 am

sediment wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:01 pm
Might not be perfect, but it's very playable.
Mate, it's Warmaster with tanks. I don't think it feels like the period at all, personally. Some bits of it are just thoroughly strange.

Haven't yet tried "Fistfull of TOWs though", it is on my todo list. Cheers for reminding me!

sediment

Post by sediment » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:17 am

I've got FFoT - have you tried looking through the mass of pages and data? At least CWC is playable. It's based on Warmaster sure, but it's been adapted well and, to labour the point playable!! Each to their own of course.

Cheers, Andy

SOTCW799

Post by SOTCW799 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:04 am

I'm still using FFoT's 2 which is pure modern which makes it much shorter than the current set, Ty should have kept the rules split as FFoT's and Where Panzers Dare in my opinion. Myself and some friends tried Cold War Commander, sold my rules afterwards (along with Challenger )as we found them not to our satisfaction.

UshCha

Post by UshCha » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:46 pm

If anybody is at Hammerhead we will be there so you could try our rules at no cost! It depends however on what you want. Lots of rules compromise on plausibility to get more toys on table. Team Yankee is probably the most biased toward this issue but is very popular with some folk. It depends what you are looking for. I HATE tank rules where tanks don't turn their turrets. That's why tanks are tanks not assault guns and just giving tanks a wider field of fire is plain daft, something akin to the tank running in the field of a Douglas Adams Bambleweeny 47, Finite improbability field generator (but not as much fun); bit bored tonight ;-) .

Seret

Post by Seret » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:47 am

sediment wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:17 am
I've got FFoT - have you tried looking through the mass of pages and data?
Must admit, this factor is a bit of a turn-off for me. Shuffling through reams of paper every five minutes during game isn't my idea of fun. I'll probably give it a crack at some point though. That probably depends on if I can pick up a cheap copy of it though, £30 even for the PDF is taking the piss a bit.

sediment

Post by sediment » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:00 am

You might want to check out the Unofficial Battlegroup Modern rules available from Richard C's blog, linked below.

http://coldwarhot.blogspot.co.uk/

We've played them a couple of times and they play really well, focussing on tactics and game play, rather than data sheets, although there are still some. If you are familiar with the Battlegroup rules system, then a read through and test game should be enough to get the hang of them.

Cheers, Andy

hammurabi70

Post by hammurabi70 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:31 am

Seret wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:27 am
I don't think it feels like the period at all, personally.
I would be interested to know what the key factors are that you think a period-specific set of rules should have.
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

UshCha

Post by UshCha » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:09 am

Our Key factors.

-Nice simple rules.
-Tanks should behave like tanks, capable of a lot but also have vulnerabilities. Turret turning, buttoned and un-buttoned. Hull down turret down etc.
-Artillery should reflect typical allocations and be plausible. Tanks are not really destroyed in any quantity by artillery unlass stationary or under very unusual conditions.
-Communications should be represented. including battle management where applicable.
-Weapon ranges should be plausible no daft exponential ranges'
-Casualty removal eliminated, most forces are unusable after even 30% losses so removing casualties is not very credible. Troops should tire and run out of ammo in a sensible way.
-Plausible armour vs gun rules not based on too much guesswork.
-Most infantry firefights are about suppressing the enemy. To do serious damage you need to assault.

dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:46 am

UshCha wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:09 am
Our Key factors.

-Nice simple rules.
-Tanks should behave like tanks, capable of a lot but also have vulnerabilities. Turret turning, buttoned and un-buttoned. Hull down turret down etc.
-Artillery should reflect typical allocations and be plausible. Tanks are not really destroyed in any quantity by artillery unlass stationary or under very unusual conditions.
-Communications should be represented. including battle management where applicable.
-Weapon ranges should be plausible no daft exponential ranges'
-Casualty removal eliminated, most forces are unusable after even 30% losses so removing casualties is not very credible. Troops should tire and run out of ammo in a sensible way.
-Plausible armour vs gun rules not based on too much guesswork.
-Most infantry firefights are about suppressing the enemy. To do serious damage you need to assault.
Interesting list. From reading and experience the key factors in battle that I would add are: Ground, Weather, Training (inc Doctrine), Logistics. Morale and Leadership. You allude to a few of these but I think that they should feature more heavily.
Alan
[url]http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/[/url]