100 Years of War Sunday 29th September 2019

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
Dave Knight

100 Years of War Sunday 29th September 2019

Post by Dave Knight » 07 Jul 2019, 09:56

I am running this again now in its 7th year

Usual info below - let me know if you would like to participate

Date: Sunday 29th September 2019

Timing: 10:00 – 17:00 (2 gaming sessions with a short break in between for lunch)

Venue: Newlands Community Centre, Montgomery Street, Grangemouth, FK3 8QR

Cost: Free – tea and coffee (and possibly biscuits!) will be available without charge from the kitchen

Notes for Those putting on games

Each game should be capable of being run in full in one of the 2 gaming sessions and will normally only run once. The expectation is that games will be run by individuals or small groups. Think participation game rather than demonstration game. Any system from 1900 onwards, land, sea or air.

Those taking part will have varying levels of experience as wargamers and might have not played the rules system before – indeed some people use this event as an opportunity to have a go at a new system so please bear this in mind when designing your scenarios.

Tables and boards are available as is some club terrain if needed

If you put a game on hopefully you will be able to take part in another game during the other session and you will have first choice of which one you want to take part in

Please contact Dave Knight with details of the game as soon as you can. An initial statement of intent is helpful but please forward details of those putting the game on. period, scale, board size and number of participants as soon as you can and by mid-September at the latest if at all possible. An example would be John Smith and Joe Brown, Normandy 1944, 15mm, Chain of Command 6 x 4 table 2 – 6 participants. Also advise if you expect to play in the other session.

Notes for game participants

You will have the opportunity to play 2 games during the day, although if you can only make one session this is no problem.

You will be able to state a preference of which games you want to take part in nearer the time, but please be aware that your first choice may not be available and you may be asked to take part in a different game. If this causes you a major issue please have a quiet word on the day.

Part of the fun is to mix people from different clubs and for you to have a chance to play something new, but the primary aim is for us all to have 2 fun games so no strict rules apply other than normal sensible behaviour.

Dave Knight

Re: 100 Years of War Sunday 29th September 2019

Post by Dave Knight » 10 Sep 2019, 21:12

Games Currently on offer

Arab Israeli Cold War Commander
WW2 What a Tanker
Spanish Civil War either Bolt Action or Rapid Fire
WW2 Coastal Patrol
Interwar – Eastern Europe
Cold War Force on Force
There is also an all day Chain of Command game but that is currently fully subscribed

Any takers please get in touch

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » 11 Sep 2019, 11:34

WOW, looks like a great selection of games :D

Maybe next year when I`ve retired :lol:
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

Ruggs

Post by Ruggs » 11 Sep 2019, 14:01

Oh, retirement can't come soon enough. Right, Richard? haha

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » 11 Sep 2019, 16:35

Ruggs wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 14:01
Oh, retirement can't come soon enough. Right, Richard? haha
Alicante here I come, July next year and adios UK :lol:
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

CarlL

Post by CarlL » 11 Sep 2019, 19:22

Well done Dave Knight!
Rolling this games event on over six, now seven years is quite a feat.
And seeing the variety of what you have on offer is also a big achievement.
Pity my visits north of the border have lapsed in last 12 months and I am not going to make it this year.
Must get my act on the road, and make more of such wargames events in 2020.

Good luck in 2019 and I hope yopu have a successful and enjoyble games experience.

CarlL

PS Maybe I should start a gamers roadie subsection to the forum to help link up gamers to events with mutual offers of accommodation and the like? Or ideas about exchanges that could help us all get out and meet up more?
eg sharing driving? offering spare bedroom up for night? sharing journey for company sake for those who may not belong to clubs or choose solo gaming role, but may get out more if sharing the effort?

Other ideas welcomed?

granty101

Post by granty101 » 12 Sep 2019, 06:22

CarlL wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 19:22
but may get out more if sharing the effort?
You get out too much as it is Carl...or so your Maggie tells me!!! :lol:

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

Dave Knight

Post by Dave Knight » 29 Sep 2019, 17:00

Another good day. The Spanish civil War game was replaced by a Mexican Revolution game using The Men Who Would be Kings. 21 participants overall.

This will almost certainly run again next year - it is normally the last Sunday in September

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 30 Sep 2019, 12:36

CarlL wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 19:22
Well done Dave Knight!
Rolling this games event on over six, now seven years is quite a feat.
And seeing the variety of what you have on offer is also a big achievement.
Pity my visits north of the border have lapsed in last 12 months and I am not going to make it this year.
Must get my act on the road, and make more of such wargames events in 2020.

Good luck in 2019 and I hope yopu have a successful and enjoyble games experience.

CarlL

PS Maybe I should start a gamers roadie subsection to the forum to help link up gamers to events with mutual offers of accommodation and the like? Or ideas about exchanges that could help us all get out and meet up more?
eg sharing driving? offering spare bedroom up for night? sharing journey for company sake for those who may not belong to clubs or choose solo gaming role, but may get out more if sharing the effort?

Other ideas welcomed?
Aye Carl People can form an orderly queue that are up for letting me crash overnight :D :D :D

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 30 Sep 2019, 12:40

Dave Knight wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 17:00
Another good day. The Spanish civil War game was replaced by a Mexican Revolution game using The Men Who Would be Kings. 21 participants overall.

This will almost certainly run again next year - it is normally the last Sunday in September
Well done Dave a consistently splendid effort :D :D