Truths, Untruths, and damned untruths (of sorts)

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
bannockburn bhoy

Re: Truths, Untruths, and damned untruths (of sorts)

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:59 pm

Senor Richard "lemon grove" Baber is the epitome of diplomatic etiquette and forbearance at all times.
I flatter myself that this is because , if not directly under my tutelage , he has taken me as a shining example of the art.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just thought id lighten things up a bit lads ;) :o :D :D :D

ianrs54

Post by ianrs54 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:30 pm

Carl it has been noted that in most if not all things you have a far higher opinion of your abilities than everyone else (Faknders and Swan sic)

IanS
Any thing bigger than 6 is TOO BIG

granty101

Post by granty101 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:10 pm

ianrs54 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:30 pm
Carl it has been noted that in most if not all things you have a far higher opinion of your abilities than everyone else (Faknders and Swan sic)

IanS
In defence of Carl and his statement, all I can say is that he has spoken from the heart. I have attended a couple of shows where Carl has put on a demonstration game single handed, whilst I and his good lady wife, (Maggie), have tried to promote the SOTCW but selling back issues and signing up members.

Carl is very passionate about this hobby, and will give his all to promote it. If a few more 'lurkers' on this forum got off their backsides and wrote something, or put on a demonstration game, then maybe we wouldn't have been in the position where the Journal has 'died'. :(

I for one applaud Carl, (and others), for their efforts over the years, but when you see the same names posting online, or writing articles, or promoting games at shows, then it's not surprising the Journal has gone :(

Grant (Sending Carl a big hug for his efforts) :)
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

magnification

Post by magnification » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:30 pm

Hello All,

I have just asked Bill to post the following on the TMP for me. I have for a while had trouble posting on TMP and I think my hacked email has exacerbated this.

'Thank you to all who have posted in this thread. Indeed, my email was hacked at the end of June and I have now set up a new one at MWD001@outlook.com. I can see the concern that my new groups name is close to that of the long established Wargames Developments organisation and this is unfortunate and unintentional - in fact the similarity did not occur to me until I read this thread. MWD is in its early formation but its focus is quite different - the word Model should be enough to establish this difference, especially once we are more established. Much is evolving so a name change may occur in due course if the 40 plus members already on board think it is advisable, however, for the present I plan to continue as is. Please contact me at the above email if you think this warrants further discussion'

Regards,

Mark Wheeler

magnification

Post by magnification » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:02 am

Hello All,

Some developments recently following posts on TMP and email I have had may interest you. The below is a summary of an email with Wargames Developments today.

Good to hear from you and thanks for your suggestions below. This issue (Model Wargames Developments as a name) is similar to one had at the inception of the SOTCW and I don't think we ever really solved it satisfactorily - The Society of Twentieth Century Wargames always was a mouthful and indeed limiting once we moved to the year 2000. Still, it was decided by committee, and at present the MWD does not have such a body and so I am free to change things at present. A number of people have contacted me about this (including new members) and whilst I am not convinced it is a major issue I can see that others do, and after a rocky road to get here I would like to head any further issues 'off at the pass' so to say.

The current name Model Wargames Developments is predicated off a desire to have the word 'Model' as this is the focus, e.g. models, modelling, whats out there, paints, colour schemes, decals etc. The word 'Wargames' provides the reason or purpose for the groups activities and the third word in the title needs to begin with a 'D' so our title in acronym - MWD, and vehicle logo, come together to form a handle easier on the tongue than SOTCW. After some thought I think I can change the 'D' but keep the thrust of our name. I gravitated easily to the word 'Developments' and used it without much more consideration; certainly the clash with the Wargames Developments organisation was not anticipated. Upon reflection there are at least two other words that I now think could be used - these are 'Deployments' and 'Designs' and though I am undecided at the time of writing as to which it would be, I think either would equally suit my new groups description whilst hopefully assuaging the concerns of the Wargames Developments organisation

At the time of writing I am leaning towards 'Deployments' as this feels a neat link between The Runner (email newsletter reviewing kits, models, figures paints etc) and The Range Finder (magazine that then places, or deploys, the models into wargames themselves. We'll see.

Mark Wheeler
E Mail Update: mwd001@outlook.com

panzerman47

Post by panzerman47 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:44 am

bannockburn bhoy wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:59 pm
Senor Richard "lemon grove" Baber is the epitome of diplomatic etiquette and forbearance at all times.
I flatter myself that this is because , if not directly under my tutelage , he has taken me as a shining example of the art.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just thought id lighten things up a bit lads ;) :o :D :D :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:26 pm

magnification wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:02 am
Hello All,

Some developments recently following posts on TMP and email I have had may interest you. The below is a summary of an email with Wargames Developments today.

Good to hear from you and thanks for your suggestions below. This issue (Model Wargames Developments as a name) is similar to one had at the inception of the SOTCW and I don't think we ever really solved it satisfactorily - The Society of Twentieth Century Wargames always was a mouthful and indeed limiting once we moved to the year 2000. Still, it was decided by committee, and at present the MWD does not have such a body and so I am free to change things at present. A number of people have contacted me about this (including new members) and whilst I am not convinced it is a major issue I can see that others do, and after a rocky road to get here I would like to head any further issues 'off at the pass' so to say.

The current name Model Wargames Developments is predicated off a desire to have the word 'Model' as this is the focus, e.g. models, modelling, whats out there, paints, colour schemes, decals etc. The word 'Wargames' provides the reason or purpose for the groups activities and the third word in the title needs to begin with a 'D' so our title in acronym - MWD, and vehicle logo, come together to form a handle easier on the tongue than SOTCW. After some thought I think I can change the 'D' but keep the thrust of our name. I gravitated easily to the word 'Developments' and used it without much more consideration; certainly the clash with the Wargames Developments organisation was not anticipated. Upon reflection there are at least two other words that I now think could be used - these are 'Deployments' and 'Designs' and though I am undecided at the time of writing as to which it would be, I think either would equally suit my new groups description whilst hopefully assuaging the concerns of the Wargames Developments organisation

At the time of writing I am leaning towards 'Deployments' as this feels a neat link between The Runner (email newsletter reviewing kits, models, figures paints etc) and The Range Finder (magazine that then places, or deploys, the models into wargames themselves. We'll see.

Mark Wheeler
E Mail Update: mwd001@outlook.com
Mark, I`m not really sure why you posted this (or post here at all now) as you have made it perfectly clear you don`t want to listen to our opinions or advice, you just want to go your own way and do your own thing :(

I for one am happy for you to go and wish you all the best.
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

magnification

Post by magnification » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:35 pm

I post to answer criticism and questions if I think they need a response. So, in this thread I have responded on the email hack issue I suffered, confusion and resolution over the MWD full name now and updated all about my postings elsewhere on the status of the SOTCW, e.g online presence only now. Surely, in the spirit of an open forum I am entitled to do this and keep fellow posters up to date ? Also, you just asked me why I keep posting..............

What have I missed now ?

Mark

Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:52 pm

magnification wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:35 pm
Surely, in the spirit of an open forum I am entitled to do this and keep fellow posters up to date ?
Of course you're entitled to do so. Nobody has said that you're not.

Richard (or anyone else) are equally entitled to express their views on what you post here or elsewhere.

As long as you're all civil about it, and as far as I can see everyone has been, there's no issue.
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing

Dave Knight

Post by Dave Knight » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:01 pm

It's just all a bit boring :roll: