Blasts from the distant past

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
hammurabi70

Re: Blasts from the distant past

Post by hammurabi70 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:44 pm

Russell Phillips wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:46 am
I don't quite understand. There are 50-odd Journals that we don't have available in digital format. If one Journal is too demanding, then what are you offering to do?
Assume there are twelve authors who have written for a journal. We get permission from eleven of them. Does that mean we will publish none of the material as we cannot publish a complete journal? If we take a block of six journals, achieve some level of permissions from the authors, would we publish as a single compendium the 'highlights' from those six journals, picking from the range of articles we now have available? If the former then we might get permission from the authors of 500 articles and achieve nothing; if the latter we might at least get some useful material out for posterity!
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:32 am

hammurabi70 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:44 pm
Assume there are twelve authors who have written for a journal. We get permission from eleven of them. Does that mean we will publish none of the material as we cannot publish a complete journal?
Given that I've already mentioned that Journal 53 is available in digital format, with several articles missing, I thought the answer was obvious. We'd publish what we had permission for.
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing

Seret

Post by Seret » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:06 am

It's a fair point though. Do the articles actually need to be bundled into "journals"? That's a restriction imposed by the printing process.

Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:36 pm

Seret wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:06 am
It's a fair point though. Do the articles actually need to be bundled into "journals"?
Not particularly, no. I'd like to keep some reference to which Journal they were originally in, at least, since the Journal Index is done by Journal.

Until someone actually emails me and says they're willing to do the work of getting permissions, though, this is all academic.
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing