20mm Afrika Korps project

A place for your pictures and tips
Post Reply
sediment
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:14 am
Location: Chester
Contact:

20mm Afrika Korps project

Post by sediment » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:39 am

I made good progress on my Afrika Korps project this week.

Image

Image

Image

Image

More photos on my blog.

Cheers, Andy

CarlL
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:53 pm

Re: 20mm Afrika Korps project

Post by CarlL » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Lovely finishes on those vehicles, Andy / sediment.

Are you using washes with dry brushing over the top by brush? Or are they air sprayed / air brushed?

Lovely blend however you did them.

CarlL

sediment
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:14 am
Location: Chester
Contact:

Re: 20mm Afrika Korps project

Post by sediment » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:36 pm

Thanks Carl.

It's all brushwork. I used to use a cheapo, entry-level airbrush, but it packed in, so I upgraded to a Harder and Steinbeck, but I just can't seem to make it work for me. That is, it works, but I don't like using it. So they are all base coated by brush, washed with Agrax Earthshade and then dry brushed with Iraqi sand. I use a large flat head bristle pastry brush to dry brush with.

Cheers, Andy

CarlL
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:53 pm

Re: 20mm Afrika Korps project

Post by CarlL » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:03 pm

A Pastry brush is a first Andy!

Your mix is inspiring oneI shall try if and when I do any Jerries for desert.

I think with 20mm I have experimented with inch wide brushes but seem to be more able to get finish I want with half inch wide (1cm) flat brushes.
Mind I can sometimes forget brush needs to be almost dry and I occasionally end up with a heavy coat so need to wipe it off or start again.

As for my washes well having had great effects with a Daler Antelope Brown ink wash over light browns and other colours I recently had another go with first one then another "new" bottle of same. (On my Indian Army units for British Empire early 20th century.) I stirred and shook the inks, and I watered them down and took my usual precautions! Sadly one rendered figures a garish bright yellow and another light green !! Trying to fix this problem I ended up more mess. And figures too dark. I was quite saddenee as this make had been really useful in past and I have used several bottles before to bring out details and khaki fy other base colours for WW2 Brits in Desert and eastern front Russians in summer or quilted kit.

CarlL

sediment
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:14 am
Location: Chester
Contact:

Re: 20mm Afrika Korps project

Post by sediment » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:33 am

Hi Carl,

That's a bit of a blow about the variations in ink composition. That's why I go with Agrax Earthshade though as it seems to be pretty consistent so far. I'm not a fan of GW products, but if it works and doesn't cost the roof, then I'm happy.

Cheers, Andy

Post Reply