Crusader/Centaur AA tanks

Discussion around the Second World War.
Seret

Crusader/Centaur AA tanks

Post by Seret » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:55 pm

Rob Morgan has asked a few questions about these vehicles in the Journal, I'll take a crack:

Crusader AA: Rob, you stated in the Journal that these were fitted with "20mm Oerlikons". Actually they came in two flavours:
  1. Crusader AA mk1: single 40mm Bofors
  2. Crusader AA mk2: twin 20mm Oerlikon or Polsten
Obviously the 40mm Bofors mount was a bit of a slap-dash effort, and was the rarer of the two.

Yes, they did see significant ground use during the short period of the fighting in Normandy. The Poles in particular are noted for using theirs (AA mk2) against ground targets throughout Normandy and the rapid pursuit into the Low Countries. They lost them during the refit over winter 44-45 in the Netherlands.

Crusader AA mk1:

Crusader AA mk2:

Centaur AA
Bascially they stuck the turret from a Crusader AA Mk2 onto the Centaur hull, although being a late mod these seem to have exclusively got the version with the Polsten guns instead of Oerlikons. I don't know how much action these saw, the Centaur was tragically underpowered and I can't imagine them being in the forefront of the Allied advance very often.
Last edited by Seret on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard B.

Re: Crusader/Centaur AA tanks

Post by Richard B. » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:49 pm

I have the lovely (but heavy) old Skytrex Mk2 :D

One of only 3 NWE British tanks i own :lol:
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

Seret

Post by Seret » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:04 am

I've got a Rubicon one:

It's a good kit, but the air recognition star on the roof was bloody fiddly!

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:42 am

I`m surprised you`d ever need one on the tabletop in 28mm??
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

Seret

Post by Seret » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:30 am

Well, as I said, they used 'em against ground targets.

Twin 20mms are pretty tasty as a fire support for your infantry. See also the US M16 half tracks, Soviet Quad Maxims and German 20mm AA guns in single and quad mounts. It's fun to put something different on the table sometimes.