Attaque a l'outrance August 1914

Discussion around early wars and conflicts including World War 1
robinsutton

Attaque a l'outrance August 1914

Post by robinsutton » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:49 am

AAR from this weekend's Great War Spearhead game - a very bloody affair for the French

https://wargamingnz.blogspot.com/2018/0 ... -1914.html

Kind regards
Robin

CarlL

Re: Attaque a l'outrance August 1914

Post by CarlL » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:55 pm

Robin,

Lovely photo report.

I have bought but not yet used WW1 version of Spearhead. (My plan was to use it on eastern front between Russians and Austro-Hungarians - I got distracted by early 20th century colonials!). How do you find these rules as game mechanics? Is there lots of prep time? Do you need a lot of markers? Is it a slow speed game system in terms of completing a game move?

I loved the plastic (resin?) orange glow bomb / blast markers they work well in photos; having previously thought them to be too garish; but your photo report has me thinking "no they tell you clearly there is a bombardment".

Well done, it is a lovely looking tabletop, and it is not often we see reports og games in this scale, (be it 5mm or 6mm or 1/300).

CarlL

robinsutton

Post by robinsutton » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:14 am

Carl

The rules system is one of my all time favourites. The mechanisms are simple, and markers are purely a matter of preference not necessity. I only use the markers for the sake of the AARs, not generally as a part of game play i.e. If I weren't contemplating an AAR I wouldn't bother. Their purpose is to show where the action is. I feel that in that regard they light up the table.

They create a relatively speedy game early war. The mechanisms for later war are very elegant. The level of planning of course goes up as you plan bombardments etc

Perhaps one of the many things I like the most is that battles unfold as one reads of them in regimental histories etc They create the feel of a battle as one reads of it in the literature. Caution: they are not a skirmish rules set, so if that's your passion, you'll be disappointed.

Hope that helps.
Kind regards
Robin

TWR

Post by TWR » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:11 am

I was one of the players in the game Carl, one of two commanding the Germans.

I play WWII and Modern Spearhead most often, but occasionally Robin recruits me for a GWSH game. Of all the games in the family the Great War version is the simplest, at least in the early war period where weapon systems are less variable. There are infantry, a few machine guns, some artillery and perhaps some cavalry. Further, an encounter game, like the one reported on is very straight forward. Ones involving entrenchments more so as additional planning must be considered.

It was an excellent game, and if you want to push a division forward in an evening, an ideal system. In this game total playing time was four hours, though Robin had set the terrain up prior which off-set the rusty nature of players like myself that had to check some of the rules before the attacks began.
Visit my gaming sites:
World War II Spearhead: https://ww2spearhead.wordpress.com
Modern Spearhead: https://modernspearhead.wordpress.com

CarlL

Post by CarlL » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:28 am

Thanks guys, I must get my GWSH rules set out and give them a solo run through!
CarlL