SOTCW new hard copy periodical proposal

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
Richard B.

Re: SOTCW new hard copy periodical proposal

Post by Richard B. » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Trouble is even with this post, no-one new is posting :roll:

Just the same guys again and again :?
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

Kalinovsky

Post by Kalinovsky » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:15 pm

I think in the past basically repeatedly being told there would not be any more Journals may have put people off - certainly did for me. I had good intentions of trying to do some stuff on Interwar, particularly as I have permission from the Beamish Museum to use the Vickers Works photos on my Interwar Tank Development blog in print as well as on line. So no matter the quality of anything I wrote at least the pictures would be good. Also bizarrely once the Journal Progress counter got to 100% it made me feel like there was no need to do anything.

I will try to psych myself up again. There is an AAR on one of my blogs which could be turned into some print content. Another thing I have been putting off for a long time is adding text to the entries on the Interwar Tank Development blog, which I could then look at turning into print stuff, if I can get my writing mojo back and if people might be interested in this sort of subject matter.

granty101

Post by granty101 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:08 am

Kalinovsky wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:15 pm
if people might be interested in this sort of subject matter.
Clive, go for it bonny lad!! I love interwar stuff, and I'd be interested in reading anything you put into print :)

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:16 am

Clive thanks for the reply.

I`m just trying to fathom some sort idea as to what enthusiasm there is for the society (in whatever format) continuing?? Very few post here, a few other post of comment or just "like" stuff posted on the FB page. If the SOTCW is going to continue in any format we need to start discussing it.

Andrew wants to go more digital, maybe that is the way an interactive blog type thing, where no one person or even team is responsible for all the workload, we all can pitch in - one writes an article and the group adds to it via comments or additional posts? If it is archieved, it would be available to re-read and add to later (I know my very basic blog has a search function and "labels" tab, so you can later search for similar posts.

Without 30-50 pages of material coming in every three months a written/printed Journal is impossible to maintain - been saying this for yrs haven`t I, but an online digital magazine could well continue with just 10-20 new pages per quarter plus photos, maps etc would be far easier to do.

I`m not proposing anything here I`m starting a conversation :roll:
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

Dave Knight

Post by Dave Knight » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:35 pm

I would be interested in such a digital journal, I don't know how advanced the plans are for the next hard copy journal but there sounds as if there is enough material there was 2 - 3 digital issues and just getting something out again might stimulate more contributors

freewargamesrules

Post by freewargamesrules » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Journal 95 will be completed early next week and sent to Russ for publication (printers and electronic sales).
Pete Jones
-----------------
Editor/Webmaster
SOTCW 00533

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:52 pm

freewargamesrules wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:50 pm
Journal 95 will be completed early next week and sent to Russ for publication (printers and electronic sales).
Well done Pete, stirling work by you and the team - thanks :D

cartfc

Post by cartfc » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:32 pm

It depends what you mean by enthusiasm Richard. I am sure most members would love the Society to continue, but the enthusiasm is needed to produce material. So while the enthusiasm for consuming the product is there, I am not sure how much there is for producing content. There is also the question of having someone who can knock it into shape ready for printing or posting online.

Fred.