Show Us Your Recycled Toys!

A place for your pictures and tips
dadlamassu

Re: Show Us Your Recycled Toys!

Post by dadlamassu »

Richard B. wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 21:27 Those guns are just superb Alan :D
Many thanks for the kind words, Richard. They are built using the old John Sandars methods of basic shapes of thick card "plated" with paper and detailed with bits from the scrap box, wire and finally rivets and panel lines drawn in with ink.

Another couple - a 10cm K-18 and a 17cm K-18 again card, sprue and paper with scrap box wheels
David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

Richard B. wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 21:27 Those guns are just superb Alan :D
What Richard said. They all certainly look the part.

David
David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

When I started building my KNIL (Dutch East Indies) forces, I had not yet learned to do resin casting, and coming up with suitable softskins and other vehicles was a major problem. Some of my initial efforts used Maisto 1940 Ford panel vans converted as needed.

In the upper photo, in addition to another view of the Stadwacht 1935 Cadillac Hot Wheels conversion, you can see before and after versions of the 1940 Ford panel van by Maisto (also sold in the U.S. under the Express Lane label). In the lower photo, we have another Ford panel van conversion, along with an Alvis-Straussler AC3D armored car scratchbuilt from plastic card and an Esci M3A1 White scout car with KNIL crew and armament. Fujimi/Nitto Willys MB Jeeps are being used as stand-ins for the early model Ford GP Jeeps actually used by KNIL cavalry squadrons. The 2cm Flak30 is FAA, Vickers-Carden-Loyd M1936 'Dutchmen' light tanks are Ostmodels, and the infantry are mostly converted Esci and Emhar figures.

David
billk

Post by billk »

Alan, those guns are quite nice. Clearly a lot of time and effort went into them.

David, oh how I wish I had snagged a couple of those FAA 2cm FlaK 30s back in the day.

Wonderful thread.
David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

billk wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 02:38 David, oh how I wish I had snagged a couple of those FAA 2cm FlaK 30s back in the day.
Still available and even In Stock at the moment, if you believe their website.

https://www.faaminiatures.com/p-406-gun ... wcrew.aspx

David
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

dadlamassu wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 22:03
Many thanks for the kind words, Richard. They are built using the old John Sandars methods of basic shapes of thick card "plated" with paper and detailed with bits from the scrap box, wire and finally rivets and panel lines drawn in with ink.

Another couple - a 10cm K-18 and a 17cm K-18 again card, sprue and paper with scrap box wheels
Blimey, these are just fantastic

I own Sander`s wargames book and have a few Gerald Scarborough modeling ones here too - but I`m just not this clever or skilled :shock:
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
billk

Post by billk »

David Reasoner wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 03:26
billk wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 02:38 David, oh how I wish I had snagged a couple of those FAA 2cm FlaK 30s back in the day.
Still available and even In Stock at the moment, if you believe their website.

https://www.faaminiatures.com/p-406-gun ... wcrew.aspx

David
Thanks. The casting by the current owners has been iffy and their service has been woeful, so I am hesitant. Should have acted when John Bruce or Baxter were producing things.
Last edited by billk on 05 Mar 2021, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

billk wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 13:36
Thanks. The casting by the curent owners has been iffy and their service has been woeful, so I am hesitant. Should have acted when John Bruce or Baxter were producing things.
Both lovely guys, John was a total gentleman and Baxter can be very funny :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

A new signals van for my WW2 Italian forces in 1940-41 Greece or perhaps even Russia.

The signals van is a conversion of one of a batch of IHC diecast toy trucks that Bill Krieg kindly sent me. I added new wheels and tires, a driver, rooftop stowage, and some details like front leaf springs and starter crank handle. The result is a reasonable stand-in for one of the elderly Fiat 15ter vans still in Italian service in 1940-41. The second van will be given a similar conversion, but in desert sand.

billk wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 16:24
David Reasoner wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 05:37 The IHC tanker truck will become a Fiat 15ter light utility, also for Italian East Africa.
David, will be looking forward to seeing this conversion. I have one of those tanker trucks sitting here waiting for me to decide it's fate. Bill

A WIP view of the "Fiat 15ter" light cargo truck. The original tanker body has been removed, along with the original wheels and axles. Since I will be omitting the windshield, the gap for it has been filled in with Evergreen plastic strip, and a resin clone of a Skytrex driver figure installed. A tropical helmet has replaced his original bustina field cap. Although a completely open cab would be more accurate for this type vehicle, the cab doors on the IHC model are very solidly cast as part of the metal chassis, defying easy removal. I'll just be content with filling in the gaps behind the doors with plastic card.

A set of new resin wheels are laid out with new wire axles. Being the lazy sort, rather than scratchbuild a new cargo body, I simply adapted one from one of my resin GAZ-AA/AAA or Ford AA trucks to fit the IHC chassis. It will sit slightly higher than it should, due to the IHC model having rear fenders that were not present on the Fiat 15ter cargo truck, but close enough for government work. :lol:

David
billk

Post by billk »

David, you really brought them to life. Great work.