More scratch terrain

A place for your pictures and tips
Richard B.

More scratch terrain

Post by Richard B. »

Bits of Matchbox diorama base roughly patched together with odd bits of HO railway to create about 50cms of track.

I built the barricade to cover a really bad joint :D

Figures for scale

"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

David Reasoner

Re: More scratch terrain

Post by David Reasoner »

Another ingenious use for leftover bits. I've probably built enough Matchbox M16 kits over the years, most of them converted to other M3 variants, to do something similar.

David

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Thanks David, I`ve lost count of how many M16s became either transports, SP variants or Beute German captures :D

At a show (many moons ago) I bought 8 kits for £20 :o :o :o
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

CarlL

Post by CarlL »

More useful terrain Richard. Wel done.

Long ago I bought two different sets of rail track, of varying width with idea of creating some Eastern Front rail lengths to reflect the different gauges used by Russians and Germans but alas it has all sat there undone!

Yet railroads have provided key logistic supply lines since the American Civil War and The Franco-Prussian War never mind all those built by Colonial / Imperial armies to supply their armies seeking to maintain imperial dominance, from Morocco, to Sudan to Palestine, Arabia and Iraq!

Your pieces have rekindled this memory of a plan and may inspire me to complete it! Bravo senor.
CarlL

David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

Richard B. wrote:
16 May 2020, 07:04
Thanks David, I`ve lost count of how many M16s became either transports, SP variants or Beute German captures :D

At a show (many moons ago) I bought 8 kits for £20 :o :o :o
Hard to imagine now, but back in the late 1980's or early 1990's the Airfix M3 halftrack kit was temporarily OOP, as was my preferred 1/76 scale alternate, the Nitto/Fujimi M3A1 kit. My only options were to buy the relatively enormous 1/72 scale Hasegawa M3A1 or convert Matchbox M16's. I chose the latter option. Nearly all of the halftracks in my 20mm U.S. Army collection started out as M16's.

David

CarlL

Post by CarlL »

I have hijacked Richard's theme of railways at Railways, Logistics, and War on the Eastern Front, in a post in WW2 section / tab.
CarlL