help or suggestions about Rumanian actions on Eastern Front

Discussion around the Second World War.
CarlL

help or suggestions about Rumanian actions on Eastern Front

Post by CarlL »

Hi all, OK if you read my "Italian" post you will know what's coming here about Rumania.

This is a request to all and anyone with interest in the Rumanian military actions on Eastern Front..... yes that includes you Mr Biggs... [I am safe he rarely accesses internet! But Granty would tip him off if he knew how! ;) ]

I was searching my history books and wargames books (eg scenario type books) - I have a small library - for examples of Rumanian actions on Eastern Front, with a view to putting on game inspired by historical action.
And I realised how little I have or know about their actions beyond the book 'Red Storm Over the Balkans' (Spring 1944) by David M. Glantz.

So the request is simple, please share title (and if possible the author or Journal title) for any books (could be a general's or soldier's memoirs, or a narrative history describing a battle or campaign, but includes tactical or grand tactical descriptions), or articles (from the learned to the esoteric wargames press) that you know about covering the military actions of the Rumanian army on Eastern Front from the early period of Barbarossa onwards.

I think at this stage it doesn't matter what language they are in, (I am late starter as a fluent reader in English after all these years - another opening for Granty), but Rumanian articles or books on Rumanian actions or even Russian or German articles or books would give us all an idea of range of material out there.

I suppose there may be websites and even films or documentaries that are worth including too? All ideas welcomed.
If you could add your views on the value of the item you suggested then thats cool too, eg "writes from German perspective" or "leans heavily on Soviet sources".
Thank you for reading this and my similar request regarding Italian actions on Eastern front.
CarlL

CarlL

Re: help or suggestions about Rumanian actions on Eastern Front

Post by CarlL »

Here is the list I have been compiling: (its small, I only possess the Glantz and Osprey books).

The Romanian Army of World War II - Men-at-Arms No.246 (Paperback)
Mark Axworthy (author), published 1992; ISBN: 9781855321694. [Useful for uniforms. In English]

Red Storm over the Balkans: The Failed Soviet Invasion of Romania, Spring 1944; Hardcover (University Press of Kansas 2006); by David M. Glantz (Author); ISBN-10: 0700614656, ISBN-13: 978-0700614653. [Detailed and interesting account of Soviet invasion of Rumania. In English]

Reluctant Axis : The Romanian Army In Russia 1941-1944 Paperback – 2006
by Mihai Tone Filipescu ; Publisher: Ftm (2006), ISBN-10: 1891227564
ISBN-13: 978-1891227561; [I have never read this one as even second hand copies expensive. In English. Said to have lots of maps, drawings and photos. One to seek out via inter library loan – when libraries re-open!!]

Third Axis Fourth Ally: Romanian Armed Forces in the European War, 1941-1945; published by Arms & Armour, in 1995, Hardcover, by Mark Axworthy (Author); ISBN-10: 1854092677, ISBN-13: 978-1854092670; [Another I have not read and which is expensive to buy second hand. 368 pages long.]

Hitler's Forgotten Ally: Ion Antonescu and his Regime, Romania 1940-1944 (2006) English Edition, by D. Deletant (Author); ISBN-13: 978-1403993410
ISBN-10: 1403993416. [I have never read this. In English. Again second hand copies are expensive. Blurb on likes of Amazon* suggest a study in tyranny and personality of the dictator rather than a military history. Another to seek out via inter library loan – when libraries re-open!!] *eg. “The prime merit of the book lies in its systematic investigation into the tumultuous evolution of the Antonescu regime and into his personal life. In addition, the combination of historical details with societal factors brings new facets to this analysis. Thus, examination of the Iron Guard leadership and of religious confessions in Romania helps to decipher the atmosphere of those times. In addition, Deletant's writing style makes the book a gripping read, revealing the intimate connections between the personal life of the dictator and the political evolution of his regime. These points, coupled with the fact that most probably Antonescu remained the only leader who could publicly contradict the Führer, offer an incisive image of 'Hitler's forgotten ally'.' - Lucian N. Leustean, European History Quarterly”

CarlL

granty101

Post by granty101 »

CarlL wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 08:41
But Granty would tip him off if he knew how!

CarlL
What are you trying to incinerate Mr Luxford?? :shock:

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

CarlL

Post by CarlL »

A few more, first two off topic as air war!

“Over the Cauldron of Ploesti: The American Air War in Romania
The stories of the American airmen in Romania should never be forgotten.” (August 12, 2019) At
https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/a ... ar-romania
[Unread! off topic! Air rather than ground war!]

Rumanian Air Force, The Prime Decade 1938-1947; Paperback, Squadron/Signal Publications (1999); by Denes Bernad (Author); ISBN-10: 0897474023,
ISBN-13: 978-0897474023; [Not read, off topic! Air rather than ground war!]

“THE IASI-KISHINEV OPERATION, The Red Army's Summer Offensive into the Balkans” by Soviet General Staff, edited & translated by Richard W. Harrison. Publisher: Helion & Company, 2017; ISBN 9781911512431. [Not seen, publisher blurb states: “ details the Soviet preparation and conduct of the Red Army's massive offensive into Romania in the summer of 1944.” And “Whereas the first part offers an operational-strategic overview of the operation, the second is firmly focused at the tactical-operational level. This study is actually a doctoral dissertation dealing with the Third Ukrainian Front's 37th Army, which played the leading role in the front's offensive across the Dnestr River,”

CarlL

CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Nice bit of incincerating Grant!
Makes me chuckle and good to see you are alive out there ... Durham has had its covid19 problems - take care our friend.
Carl & Maggy

granty101

Post by granty101 »

CarlL wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 09:13

Hitler's Forgotten Ally: Ion Antonescu and his Regime, Romania 1940-1944

CarlL
I wonder how things might have turned out if the Eastern European countries of Romanian, Bulgaria, Hungary and the former Yugoslavia, (see map below), had decided to stay neutral, or even form their own NATO style pact, and not allied themselves to Germany? Would the German High Command have been ordered to attack these 'neutral' countries, or would they, (the Germans), just attack the Soviet Union through Poland and the former Czechoslovakia?? And would the Soviet Union then have to attack Germany the same way, and 'skirt' around these countries??

Some points to ponder for a 1941 'what if' three way conflict are:

1) Could Germany attack and fight both the Soviet Union and a NATO style combined Eastern European force?
2) Would the Soviet Union, (once it had gained the upper hand), respect the neutrality of these Eastern European countries?
3) Could Turkey be 'seduced' into an alliance with Germany and Italy, and attack these neutral states, (as well as invading Greece), and hope to regain the European Ottoman Empire territories it had lost previously?

Sorry to have 'hijacked' your thread Carl, but you have given me some 'what if' food for thought ;)

Grant

granty101

Post by granty101 »

CarlL wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 09:54
Makes me chuckle and good to see you are alive out there

Carl & Maggy
And I hope you two are safely wrapped up at home and not venturing out? After all, you'd get lost without me looking after you!! :lol:

Grant

CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Another omission based on ignorance, (I thought I knew what books this author had written about Stalingrad and Eastern Front)!! Wrong!!
here is another one I have discovered. This one (in a series of five books called a trilogy!) seems to coverRumanians under attack from operation Uranus - pincer movement around 6th [German] army at Stalingrad:
Endgame at Stalingrad : Book One: November 1942; the Stalingrad Trilogy, Volume 3; by Jonathan M. House and David M. Glantz (the third book of 5 in this trilogy!)
Published by University of Kansas Press, 2014. ISBN10 0700619542
ISBN13 9780700619542
[Not yet seen but deals with Romanian as well as Soviet and German actions in November 1942.]
CarlL

CarlL

Post by CarlL »

This website and its thread about the Romanian Army circa Stalingrad is very interesting. I cant say how reliable it is, but I am accepting people post to share knowledge & views.
see https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic ... 3&start=90
CarlL

CarlL

Post by CarlL »

another interesting narrative of how Romanian forces are impacted by Soviet Operation Uranus can be found here (text in English):

https://www.stalingrad.net/russian-hq/o ... tailed.htm

CarlL