Rating Shows

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
UshCha

Rating Shows

Post by UshCha »

How do you rate a show?

It seemes Hammehead 2020 caused some disagreement. Personaly I think its a show that is leading the way. Some older shows to us seem to be fadeing with the emphasis on the older players and minatures being the be all and end all. Hammerhead is diffrent, the emphasis of both the place and its visitors seems much more game than minatures centric and younger audiance. Not that minataures are ignored but they sit in the place I think is corrects, as an ajunct to the game not the be all of the game. The critisism at Hamerhead was they were games that looked (some said worse) like an actual club night. I would not agree with that, some did look like a good club night, but not worse. Personally I thiought that was great, it makes it reachable to those folk who do not see wargame life primarily as painting, rarther than playing.

Having finished the preamble the question is how do you rate a show. To me its 70% game,30% minatures.

Just to be perveres, what sruck me as the most astounding participant was an ancient game done in paper flats with paper treees. I have seen them in photos but they do not doo it justice they looke superb. If I could get real scale 1/144 modern Flats pre-printed and cut out I would look hard at ditching my real scale 1/144 3D printed!

Have fun with this topic, regrettably we are going to be missing a lot of shows this year, this is the closest we will get for quite a while.

Keep safe Brian

CarlL

Re: Rating Shows

Post by CarlL »

Its a good question UshCha.

My first thought reflects what I know of you from your posts! (Dont worry moderator!) - but adding in simple subjective rating scales? score 1 to 10 (poor to excellent? - how useful but hated these can be!!)

1. Novel ideas (to inspire me) for future games (or modelling), but also for rules ideas and presentation of games. My example would be me and Maggy being inspired by (and nicking) your (UshCha's and friends') group's 2D mountains ideas for terrain. One used by us for Rif v Spanish game at 'Battleground' and later with different "basing" for Foreign Legion v Tuareg game again at 'Battleground' show.

This leads to another tangental thought about judging shows.
2. (or is it 2A?) Meeting new people, making new contacts, making new gaming modelling friendships and links through attending shows? (Hi Granty!!) and
(is it 2B?) Resuming and renewing friendships and hobby contacts? (Like seeing my camaradas from Crosby Wargames Group (CWG)! hi all. The Armati crowd! Hi there. And many others)

3. Why did I start going to shows back in 1980s? (pre internet, pre mobiles, pre home computing) TRADE !! Seeing new and longstanding figure sellers and their wares, (Hi Ian Kay! Still going strong if to far fewer shows! There are others swept away by ill-health or changing figure fashions, sadly.) later these shows attracted booksellers, later again terrain makers and painting services. Perhaps all deserve their own rating scale? Each served to inspire if not always attract my parting with cash... (careful what you say now Granty lad!?) Contrary to what others might say I have parted with cash in all those categories. Peversely I suppose I feel its been a good show when I have come away skint and a bad show when the only cash spent has been my entry fee or on a tea break !!??

Is this 3A or 4 or 1A?
Of course fashions in our hobby leads to changes in tastes for gamers: there was the WRG rules era, the 15mm figure era, now a 28mm era, and so on (including a computer games era that perhaps because it lacks figures and lacks social face to face camaraderie has died at our hobby shows. (Or perhaps grown to become its own show elsewhere!)
So should I be inventing sub-scales in my ratings like: did show have variety of scales? or specific scale ratings like did it have a presence for 2to6mm gaming or 10to12mm gaming or 15mm or 20mm (where to put 18mm!) or 25mm or 28mm or 42mm or 54mm etc?
Should I add subscales for did it have novel hobby presence in its traders, like the resin printing traders? (Or in their early days, mdf terrain or resin terrain, etc)
And a subscale for retro ideas? Like old school figures (Hi Jacklex Miniatures good to see you at Battleground Show!) Or retro gaming ideas?

This leads back to Ushcha's comments above and my point 5 to rate Shows by:
5. Did it make space to put on demo games? (And rating subscales like did it cram them in a corner where you could not see them? or put them out of sight in a back room? etc or give them space for us to notice them and then pay them attention, in a place of prominence, where we could gather around with camera, questions and hopefully supportive comments?
5A. Were the games demo of the kind where the players are doing their own thing but not really wanting to be disturbed (or give the impression that they have just brought their club night to the show)? Or was it truly a partcipation game accessible to all? (Here I recall my putting on DBA games for the SoA at Phalanx show back in 80s and 90s, as DBA was easy to pick up for non gamers and gamers of all ages. Later Martin Charlesworth continued this at same show for SoA and CWG, well done Martin, and continued to make it accessible for all ages.

I suppose this ramble through my thoughts could be better organised as a checklist of questions for operationalising as a rating scale?
But time to make a brew and leave it there.
Nice one UshCha.
CarlL

granty101

Post by granty101 »

CarlL wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 09:05
Meeting new people, making new contacts, making new gaming modelling friendships and links through attending shows? (Hi Granty!!)
I've never met this Carl person in my life!! It wasn't me...honest!! :lol:

But seriously, for me, as a non-gamer, a show is about traders and meeting people. I love history, and whilst I haven't got a clue about 'playing soldiers', I was quite happy to attend Battleground with Carl and Maggy and help push the SOTCW. As for the traders, well, I like books and models, so looking at some new publications or miniatures/models, is what I attend shows for.

As for rating shows, well each one is different. Whether it be location, (i.e. size of venue), or traders attending, you can't really compare say a large show like Vapnartak at York racecourse to Durham Wargamers small intimate venue.

I think it comes down to personal choice, and what you want to see at a show.

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

UshCha

Post by UshCha »

I definitely have a hate for 5A. A friend and I once were asked to mark the games at a Derby Worlds. We made up a marking scheme between us and stuck rigidly to it. I believe there were some naysayers.

However poorly fronted i.e 5A turning up to a game asking questions and being pointed to the paperwork as they were interested more in the game than the public, lost a huge number of marks. They had perhaps some of the best figures but the anti-social (to us) behviou made them come quite low. If I recall a quite impressive game visually but not the best one on the basis of the enthusiasm and ability to communicate with the public won. To me what a showe game is all about.

My favorite show was Bifrost, thechnically a SI FI show but it captured the spirit of a show and was more show than Shopping event. Alas it passed like many, greed by the venue and laclk of time of the organisers, but thay left a lasting legasy.

Stay safe folks.

granty101

Post by granty101 »

UshCha wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 09:18
I definitely have a hate for 5A
Brian, on that issue, I have to agree with you. If you're at a show and ignore the public, then why be there in the first place?? You could do what you're doing at your club or in a friends house.

Having attended the Stockton show with Carl and Maggy Luxford on a few occasions, (as both representatives of the SOTCW, and as 'punters' ), we engaged with the public, (when SOTCW reps), and we also had a few good conversations with both gamers and traders. ( I wrote an article for the Journal a while back, about our first outing at Battleground. Did you read it?? ).

Speaking personally, as a non-gamer, I go to shows for three things:

1) Model traders. ( It's always nice to see what's new in the field...pardon the pun ).
2) Book sellers. ( I love books!! :D )
3) Bring and buy stalls. ( I know some people, (traders), don't like seeing them at shows, but you can pick up some bargains if you're "in the right place at the right time" )

So, speaking personally, I think it all depends what you are looking for from a show...and if you don't like a show, don't go to it again is the simple answer.

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!