You are not logged in.

#1 29-Sep-2017 15:30:41

Richard B.

Reviews and The Journal

Spoke to Pete (email) last week about whether he and the team still wanted reviews - I know some team members feel they are a waste of space anyway.

Pete advised me that the society if considering putting reviews onto the website instead of into the magazine and asked me to continue to write and send them in with this in mind.

During my time as editor I used reviews to fill space and make up numbers as far as pages were concerned, but still felt reading a hands on reviews of toys from an un-biased source was valuable - maybe i was mistaken?

I have always noted those most vocal about out "20mm bias" never, ever submit reviews of their favoured scales - 10mm, 15mm or 28mm etc to attempt a redress of the balance sad

"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

#2 29-Sep-2017 16:55:38

CarlL
Lieutenant General

Re: Reviews and The Journal

I like the Journal reviews as it gives you both info thats not born of a sales ad in a glossy and often images you cant find on smaller (not very web based) figure and model makers sites or lists!

CarlL

#3 29-Sep-2017 17:40:35

Richard B.

Well in that case, we could make an online section on the website very visual with lots of images.........

"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

#4 30-Sep-2017 07:48:57

ianrs54
Brigadier
Website

Richard - all my recent reviews have been 15mm stuff..........

Any thing bigger than 6 is TOO BIG

#5 30-Sep-2017 19:22:59

cartfc
Captain

Journal reviews are not so much to let people know what is new and that applies to any magazine now, but to give more information than you typical get off the web. For example what are the castings like, and flash, how they fit with other ranges etc. So I still read all the Journal reviews.

#6 30-Sep-2017 19:59:11

granty101
Lieutenant General

cartfc wrote:

So I still read all the Journal reviews.

So do I, even if the product under review doesn't interest me

Grant

Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

#7 01-Oct-2017 23:31:54

panzerman44
Brigadier

Me too, and I think reviews still have a place.
Sometimes flagging up things I had not heard about before. Problem with t'internet is there can be too much to digest and things can get missed or overlooked.

Nicht Kleckern sondern Klotzen!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVFCLq664Oc
"We're playing a wargame not making a documentary." The Cardinal's 3rd Maxim

#8 02-Oct-2017 09:58:54

cartfc
Captain

The internet tells you what is new out there, but not very often do you get a review. Mostly it is firm’s release announcement. You usually get pictures, but the casting or models will have been at the very least cleaned up and black washed and often nicely painted. Even the worst figures look nice painted well. If you are interested in something in particularly a few days after it is released you sometimes get an unboxing video online, where an ordinary punter does just that, opens the box/packet and shows you the figures/kit and gives their opinion of them. You sometimes get useful info from these, like how the figures compare with others he has from the same company or other figure lines. The main drawback with these is they tend to be only available for the most popular lines and the most popular kits from those lines. So there are dozens of these videos for every Tiger kit that gets released. Probably none for a recovery vehicle or truck.

#9 02-Oct-2017 20:41:02

cartfc
Captain

The review in the latest journal for the Dictionary of Imaginary Places inspired me to order a copy. Does it have a map of Ruritania? Have a project on the one day when a I get round to it list for an imaginations late 19th century campaign set around Ruritania and using Irregulars shiny toy soldier range. Not in our period I know!

Board footer