You are not logged in.

#1 08-Sep-2017 11:45:45

GregP
Colonel

PULP??

So PULP as a genre falls into the first third or even half of the 20th Century, so is in our 'period', but do any of you game it?

If so what rules and figures do you use ? I bought the Wargames Illustrated mag this month, ( I know I still feel unclean and unworthy, but it sat there with an exotic cover and said 'buy me'!). It has a pulp theme and a good 'how to get started' article which helped me realise I could use a lot of the figures and models and scenery I already have, which would make it a cheap diversion from 'proper wargaming'. What I really lack is some scenarios to get me started so I wondered if any of you have 'dabbled' in this sort of game? ( I promise to protect the identity of anyone responding).

#2 08-Sep-2017 13:04:08

Seret
Major
Website

Re: PULP??

GregP wrote:

What I really lack is some scenarios to get me started

Well, that's the thing about pulp, your inspiration can (and should) be movies and books, and not the historical kind! You can't go wrong with the type of stuff you'd find in an Indiana Jones movie. Chuck in some Nazis, robots, an evil scientist or a sinister cult add some dashing heroes, plant tongue firmly in cheek and the scenario just about writes itself. A good idea is to write a short campaign as if it were an episode of a TV show or movie, so go for Act 1: establish the characters and present the problem, Act 2: the good guys stuggle to overcome the bad guys, Act 3: the final showdown where the bad guys get their comeuppance! Rules like 7TV take this metaphor literally, with an "audience" and "cast".

Pulp shouldn't take itself too seriously, it's just a bit of fun. Bonus points for the number of in-jokes known only to your group of gamers that you can work into it.

#3 08-Sep-2017 13:10:03

granty101
Lieutenant General

Hello Greg, as you may, or may not know, I'm not a wargamer!!! lol

As for 'PULP', I'd say, (and this is just my personal point of view), it is based around the 1920's/30's Gangster era, or maybe later on, mid to late 1940's/early 1950's.

So if you're into VBCW, then some of those type of figures could be used...but again, it depends upon how you interpret 'PULP' I suppose.

So sorry, I can't be of any help lol

Grant

Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

#4 08-Sep-2017 14:24:11

GregP
Colonel

Seret wrote:
GregP wrote:

What I really lack is some scenarios to get me started

Well, that's the thing about pulp, your inspiration can (and should) be movies and books, and not the historical kind! You can't go wrong with the type of stuff you'd find in an Indiana Jones movie. Chuck in some Nazis, robots, an evil scientist or a sinister cult add some dashing heroes, plant tongue firmly in cheek and the scenario just about writes itself. A good idea is to write a short campaign as if it were an episode of a TV show or movie, so go for Act 1: establish the characters and present the problem, Act 2: the good guys stuggle to overcome the bad guys, Act 3: the final showdown where the bad guys get their comeuppance! Rules like 7TV take this metaphor literally, with an "audience" and "cast".

Pulp shouldn't take itself too seriously, it's just a bit of fun. Bonus points for the number of in-jokes known only to your group of gamers that you can work into it.

Thanks Seret, a lot of what you say above is what is appealing to me about the idea, no rivet counters telling me I have the wrong tank for that month in 1942, and something different to force A attacks ridge held by force B etc. The problem is I have done that sort of historical based wargaming for so long (30+ years) that I am having trouble freeing my mind from the constraints of such things and need a bit of a jump start for my imagination! By the sounds of it I think I will have to check out You Tube for some B movie style inspiration!

#5 08-Sep-2017 14:35:17

GregP
Colonel

granty101 wrote:

Hello Greg, as you may, or may not know, I'm not a wargamer!!! lol

As for 'PULP', I'd say, (and this is just my personal point of view), it is based around the 1920's/30's Gangster era, or maybe later on, mid to late 1940's/early 1950's.

So if you're into VBCW, then some of those type of figures could be used...but again, it depends upon how you interpret 'PULP' I suppose.

So sorry, I can't be of any help lol

Grant

Thats what I am liking about the genre, PULP is a sort of generic setting, being both a genre and a historic period which is sort of 1920 to 1950 and somewhere in South America, or China, and a bit 'back of beyond', or some desert island, and the Nazi's can be anywhere (even though they didn't get there in reality and did not wear black), and the Japanese can start island hoping a decade early, and I can use planes from the 1920's to 1940's and a tank is just a tank, ( who cares what type), and despite this it has an aura of historical reality in as much as the US Marines are recognisably US Marines etc.

#6 08-Sep-2017 17:06:43

dadlamassu
Major General
Website

We do Pulp!  Great fun.  Everything you need is on our website (for free)

SKULL ISLAND
http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Skull%20Is … _Intro.htm

DSCF5889.JPG

Many more
http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Morvalones … _Intro.htm

#7 08-Sep-2017 20:51:56

cartfc
Captain

Nazis make good pulp villains, but there is a distinct lack of figures. Think brown shirts tooled up with MP28's, Kar98's and a Maxim or MG34. Oh and a broom handled Mauser for the officer! Heroes are the likes of Biggles, Bulldog Drummond, Dick Barton, Indiana Jones etc. Villains Fu Manchu or some other evil mastermind, sundry Nazis, secret societies like the Tong or Thugees. As for gangsters that is a bit of sub genre as it has a strong historical basis and the aims were more prosaic such as making money from drugs, prostitution, extortion etc., rather than world domination. There are a raft of Fu Manchu movies, all the Indianan Jones ones, Biggles, League of Extrodinary Gentlemen, the Mummy movies, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, The Shadow, Tintin and loads more for inspiration.

Last edited by cartfc (08-Sep-2017 20:57:22)

#8 09-Sep-2017 09:33:24

granty101
Lieutenant General

cartfc wrote:

There are a raft of Fu Manchu movies, all the Indianan Jones ones, Biggles, League of Extrodinary Gentlemen, the Mummy movies, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, The Shadow, Tintin and loads more for inspiration.

The ultimate inspiration would be the James Bond movies smile

Grant

Last edited by granty101 (09-Sep-2017 09:34:32)

#9 09-Sep-2017 11:38:08

ianrs54
Brigadier
Website

JB is hardly early 20th century though.

Any thing bigger than 6 is TOO BIG

#10 09-Sep-2017 11:56:52

granty101
Lieutenant General

ianrs54 wrote:

JB is hardly early 20th century though.

True, but he's always after megalomaniacs bent on world domination, or sinister dark organisations.

Grant

#11 09-Sep-2017 14:27:51

dadlamassu
Major General
Website

He is from the mid 20th Century - many of the books were written in the 50s.

#12 12-Sep-2017 07:40:27

GregP
Colonel

dadlamassu wrote:

WOW, now that is serious PULP!! Many thanks, I am already working through all the stuff on your links, thanks for making it all  available! Looks great fun, and thats whats been missing in some of my wargaming recently, cheers Greg

Board footer