You are not logged in.

#1 15-Aug-2017 14:29:54

granty101
Lieutenant General

Closure of MMS models

Hello all, just picked this up for a modellers forum, but might be useful here. MMS make white metal models primarily for modellers, but they can be used on the wargames table. This is what the message said:

Not sure how many folk are aware that Barry Walby of MMS models is to cease trading on the 30th of Sept 2017. There are many useful items in the range so now is the time to stock up on your needs as no buyer has come forward as yet and if not that will be it from the mentioned date. Now is the time to thank Barry for all he has done for our small scale modelling family and wish him well for the future. All items can currently be viewed on the MMS website.

Might be worth a look for those 'one off' vehicles you may need. i.e. command and control vehicles.

Grant

Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

#2 15-Aug-2017 18:59:21

Richard B.

Re: Closure of MMS models

Real shame, but people retire sad

Big range too, I guess it would cost a lot to buy - hence the lack of offers??

"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

#3 16-Aug-2017 06:37:26

NTM
Staff Sergeant

Shame bought a fair bit from them in the past but stopped doing 20mm some time ago. Message on the website suggests that offers have been made to purchase but were not deemed suitable.

http://www.mmsmodels.co.uk/index.php?news=22

Last edited by NTM (16-Aug-2017 06:37:47)

#4 16-Aug-2017 09:56:18

Richard B.

NTM wrote:

Shame bought a fair bit from them in the past but stopped doing 20mm some time ago. Message on the website suggests that offers have been made to purchase but were not deemed suitable.

http://www.mmsmodels.co.uk/index.php?news=22

Happens a lot with business sales, the owner has put is life and soul into it plus un-countable hours of hard work, his opinion of what it is worth then differs from a potential buyer sad There are also many time-wasters and sharks out there looking for a deal too.

Lets hope a reasonable offer appears and the range can be saved smile

"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

#5 16-Aug-2017 11:20:39

cartfc
Captain

I would have thought getting something for it is better than nothing. Once the range goes OOP it is harder to carve out a market share again if it is subsequently sold. Although 20mm is not my thing I hope someone picks it up. Always a shame to see good quality stuff disappear.

#6 16-Aug-2017 11:27:33

Richard B.

When Ian Clunie and Paul bought all the Skytrex moulds and stock, it was a massive commitment in both time and money, whilst I`m not 100% sure where they are today but, they were still finding stuff and trying to sort out moulds/masters, etc about 18months after the initial purchase.

Whoever buys it has to have the room, the skills, the know-how as well as the money and sales experience - not for the faint-hearted smile

#7 16-Aug-2017 11:53:19

sandsmodels
Lieutenant Colonel
Website

i did hear from a potential buyer that the figs did not add up, he wanted too much for it compared to turnover/sales ect figs.
s&s can be bought for £1,000,000 soon though!

sandsmodelshop.com

#8 16-Aug-2017 12:28:40

bannockburn bhoy
General

Does that include the SOTCW 10% discount Shaun  smile

#9 16-Aug-2017 12:35:22

Richard B.

sandsmodels wrote:

i did hear from a potential buyer that the figs did not add up, he wanted too much for it compared to turnover/sales ect figs.

Yes, just what I heard too sad

As I said the owner of a business has a hard job walking away sometimes from the thing he has built and what he/she thinks a business may be worth might just not add to a potential buyer.

A couple of yrs back we looked into buying our neighbour and expanding the business, but what he wanted was insane -like twice what I saw his business being worth to me, plus we would have needed to put in £20K to bring the building up to standard. As it was he finally sold to someone else for £80K less and the present owner is still working on it sad

When we finally come to sell I`m just looking at getting out, not bothered about making a profit on the building.

#10 16-Aug-2017 12:40:18

bannockburn bhoy
General

Richard B. wrote:

When Ian Clunie and Paul bought all the Skytrex moulds and stock, it was a massive commitment in both time and money, whilst I`m not 100% sure where they are today but, they were still finding stuff and trying to sort out moulds/masters, etc about 18months after the initial purchase.

Whoever buys it has to have the room, the skills, the know-how as well as the money and sales experience - not for the faint-hearted smile

All in all its a big ask I think Richard , Andy Grubb has done a great job , and saved a huge range from either going

abroad or biting the dust ,with the amalgamation of Grubby Tanks and Britannia Miniatures. An emotional investment

can always cloud the actual worth of things. Understandably though.

#11 16-Aug-2017 12:48:19

bannockburn bhoy
General

Richard B. wrote:
sandsmodels wrote:

Yes, just what I heard too sad

As I said the owner of a business has a hard job walking away sometimes from the thing he has built and what he/she thinks a business may be worth might just not add to a potential buyer.

A couple of yrs back we looked into buying our neighbour and expanding the business, but what he wanted was insane -like twice what I saw his business being worth to me, plus we would have needed to put in £20K to bring the building up to standard. As it was he finally sold to someone else for £80K less and the present owner is still working on it sad

When we finally come to sell I`m just looking at getting out, not bothered about making a profit on the building.

A wise position I think Richard ,because no one is ever going to know what you put into it to make it happen , sacrifices ,overcoming problems , financial and otherwise ,dealing with local authorities etc etc. I sold a business in London that I put fifteen years into ,and built from scratch, in W.1. You have to take half a step back and look at it as its worth to someone else.  I employed two appraiser firms to value mine ,and split the difference. Sold in three days. Then you start to question if you did the right thing. Walk away ,end of story.

#12 16-Aug-2017 15:26:25

sandsmodels
Lieutenant Colonel
Website

bannockburn bhoy wrote:

Does that include the SOTCW 10% discount Shaun  smile

oh no, no way!!!!!!!!!!!!

sandsmodelshop.com

#13 17-Aug-2017 06:41:33

ianrs54
Brigadier
Website

Shaun you obviously have a far higher opinion of your value that everybody else does smile

IanS

Any thing bigger than 6 is TOO BIG

#14 17-Aug-2017 15:18:50

sandsmodels
Lieutenant Colonel
Website

ianrs54 wrote:

Shaun you obviously have a far higher opinion of your value that everybody else does smile

IanS

yes i do, coz if i don't then  no one else will!
lol

sandsmodelshop.com

#15 18-Aug-2017 07:06:30

ianrs54
Brigadier
Website

smile

Any thing bigger than 6 is TOO BIG

#16 21-Aug-2017 12:28:24

aardvark99
Lance Corporal