You are not logged in.

#76 11-Jun-2017 18:09:58

granty101
Lieutenant General

Re: Journal 92 now out

Dave Knight wrote:

my suggestion was to still charge a modest amount so we still have an identifiable membership.

Good idea Dave, I'll pay into a separate forum' fund' smile

Grant

Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

#77 12-Jun-2017 07:40:46

Russell Phillips
root
Website

Dave Knight wrote:

I suggest a small annual sub £2 - £5 perhaps.

For some reason people often value something they pay for over a freebie. It also gives a feeling of being part of a Society rather than just a member of something like a facebook group

If we were going to do that, I wouldn't want to make it more than £1 a year - just a nominal amount. We're likely to finish this sub with about £1,000 in the bank. At current prices, that's enough to pay for sixteen years of domain and web hosting.

Russell Phillips

Shilka Publishing
20% discount for SOTCW members - see The Journal for details

#78 12-Jun-2017 14:11:41

Rumblestrip

hammurabi70 wrote:
dadlamassu wrote:

I don't buy any of the glossies or read them in WH Smith but would an advert in any glossy cost anything?

I doubt it would be worthwhile.  More effective would be posting entries in other forums with links to items of interest on the SOTCW website as a basis for introducing people to the Society who were unaware of it.

As Richard pointed out way back in this thread, we tried advertising and it didn't seem to do much. What might work better is a brief article for MW to fit into that magazine's 'Why I wargame' or 'Wargaming Clubs' slot. However
1 Someone needs to write it (I possibly could)
2 More importantly, we need to know what it is we're saying about the Society (i.e. what it offers for what price). At the moment we don't know that and, if we do go down the road of 'The Journal Lite' as previously described/outlined within this thread, then I am not sure that there's too much to actually advertise. However, worth bearing in mind.

Hammurabi's point, I think is an interesting one and my gut feeling is that such an approach could work very well. I think it would require someone with the appropriate skills, as well as the imagination to know where to cross post and which things to highlight.

Cheers

Andrew

¡Vencerán…pero no convencerán!

#79 12-Jun-2017 15:07:27

ianrs54
Brigadier
Website

Why not use the member profiles ?

Any thing bigger than 6 is TOO BIG

#80 13-Jun-2017 20:56:29

hammurabi70
Major

Rumblestrip wrote:

I think it would require someone with the appropriate skills, as well as the imagination to know where to cross post and which things to highlight.

Well someone posts details of each Journal when published on other forums so I assume someone in the management team is already doing this.

If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

#81 15-Jun-2017 10:57:10

Rumblestrip

hammurabi70 wrote:
Rumblestrip wrote:

I think it would require someone with the appropriate skills, as well as the imagination to know where to cross post and which things to highlight.

Well someone posts details of each Journal when published on other forums so I assume someone in the management team is already doing this.

I agree that one or more of the current editorial team has the access to/membership of other forums but that team is reducing by one (at least) thus reducing that access. Also having the access is not synonymous with having the imagination to know where or what to cross post. Nor yet with having the time or the inclination.

Done properly I think it's a job by itself, separate from the duties of editor, treasurer, sub-editor, membership secretary etc.

Cheers

Andrew

#82 15-Jun-2017 11:12:03

Russell Phillips
root
Website

Rumblestrip wrote:

Also having the access is not synonymous with having the imagination to know where or what to cross post. Nor yet with having the time or the inclination.

Done properly I think it's a job by itself, separate from the duties of editor, treasurer, sub-editor, membership secretary etc.

Agreed. Currently we simply post a message when a Journal is released. My understanding of the suggestion is that someone periodically posts interesting topics from the forum, or pages from the website, or possibly descriptions of articles from the Journal. That requires much more thought and consideration.

Russell Phillips

Shilka Publishing

#83 21-Jun-2017 20:36:52

hammurabi70
Major

Russell Phillips wrote:
Rumblestrip wrote:

Also having the access is not synonymous with having the imagination to know where or what to cross post. Nor yet with having the time or the inclination.

Agreed. Currently we simply post a message when a Journal is released. My understanding of the suggestion is that someone periodically posts interesting topics from the forum, or pages from the website, or possibly descriptions of articles from the Journal. That requires much more thought and consideration.

True - but do we put good material behind a paywall or in front of it? 

I think I am still of a view of articles behind a paywall with an annual of the best would be the way forward.

#84 22-Jun-2017 09:50:38

Rumblestrip

hammurabi70 wrote:
Russell Phillips wrote:
Rumblestrip wrote:

I think I am still of a view of articles behind a paywall with an annual of the best would be the way forward.

Not quite sure how that links to whether someone (and if so who) should post 'teasers' on other forums directing back to the SOTCW Forum?

But anyway, I also think it is becoming clear that there is no appetite in the Society for anything other than some form of 'half a Journal' (predominantly in a PDF form) once every year or two. Nothing suggested beyond that has garnered any support. As such I see little chance of there being a 'paywall'.

Cheers
Andrew

#85 22-Jun-2017 16:10:46

Seret
Major
Website

hammurabi70 wrote:

Articles behind a paywall might as well not exist.

#86 25-Jun-2017 13:12:53

hammurabi70
Major

Seret wrote:
hammurabi70 wrote:

Articles behind a paywall might as well not exist.

From whose POV?  Seems to work okay from Wargames Developments.

#87 26-Jun-2017 07:55:31

Russell Phillips
root
Website

I think people may be talking at cross purposes. hammurabi70, when you talk of a paywall, what exactly is the structure you are thinking of? Articles in a members-only area, obviously, but would your plan include a Journal? If so, would it consist of the articles that were behind the paywall?

Russell Phillips

Shilka Publishing

#88 26-Jun-2017 23:12:03

hammurabi70
Major

I was not thinking so much of Journals as putting individual articles of interest in yearly folders; subscription gets you access to the folders.  £2 access fee would keep the Society in ample funds; just need to ensure subscribers find membership worthwhile.  A formal Journal might be a bit taxing for management to continue but editing and publishing individual articles on a regular basis would keep them timely.

Board footer