You are not logged in.

#1 08-Jun-2017 20:41:57

hammurabi70
Major

D-Day

A quick query for those familiar with the Memoir 44: D-Day Landings game.

How many people would be interested if a game of this was put on in the south, say, at Guildford, Surrey?  The idea would be to do all six maps so ideally twelve players with a player for each map.  It would be played all day on a Saturday (probably).

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has done such a game; Memoir 44 is a rather wargame-lite product.

If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

#2 10-Jun-2017 08:12:38

Seret
Major
Website

Re: D-Day

I might be up for that. I don't have a copy of the game, though...

#3 10-Jun-2017 11:05:08

CarlL
Lieutenant General

I presume lack of replies reflects lack of knowledge of Memoir 44 ?
Its not a game I know so I have not commented previously.

I dont know the geography of travel links for Guildford (I suppose I should do as its my namesake grandfathers home town) but I presume it has a good catchement area for greater London travellers, as well as Kent, Sussex, Surrey?

I have to admit to being one of those who has not made much effort to get to Sotcw or Sotcw members games days, which is not intended as insult to anyones efforts, more a reflection of my energy levels come free time, mainly at weekends, and juggling my hobby interest with my wife's interests and visiting daughters etc..

So I think its good to see a Sotcw member or Forum visitor offering games days etc..

I have mainly limited my take up to those within an hours walk /drive / public transport ride of my home over my 48 years involvement in wargames hobby or related matters like museum visits, battlefield tours, and games days, or trade shows. There have been exceptions. It wasnt a successful strategy when I lived in west of Scotland and nor perhaps now I am in south Yorkshire; although I was lucky enough in my home town on Merseyside to know many other gamers wihtin half an hours walk of where I lived and access to three different attic wargames venues. So I am perhaps untypical in my lazy and often solo approach to my hobby.

Perhaps the scope and nature of Memoir44 would make a short article for Journal or this forum?

Good luck with your games day proposal.
CarlL

Last edited by CarlL (10-Jun-2017 11:06:42)

#4 10-Jun-2017 12:55:54

hammurabi70
Major

Seret wrote:

I might be up for that. I don't have a copy of the game, though...

I have access to a copy.

CarlL wrote:

I presume lack of replies reflects lack of knowledge of Memoir 44 ?
Its not a game I know so I have not commented previously.

I dont know the geography of travel links for Guildford (I suppose I should do as its my namesake grandfathers home town) but I presume it has a good catchement area for greater London travellers, as well as Kent, Sussex, Surrey?

I have to admit to being one of those who has not made much effort to get to Sotcw or Sotcw members games days, which is not intended as insult to anyones efforts, more a reflection of my energy levels come free time, mainly at weekends, and juggling my hobby interest with my wife's interests and visiting daughters etc..

So I think its good to see a Sotcw member or Forum visitor offering games days etc..

I have mainly limited my take up to those within an hours walk /drive / public transport ride of my home over my 48 years involvement in wargames hobby or related matters like museum visits, battlefield tours, and games days, or trade shows. There have been exceptions. It wasnt a successful strategy when I lived in west of Scotland and nor perhaps now I am in south Yorkshire; although I was lucky enough in my home town on Merseyside to know many other gamers wihtin half an hours walk of where I lived and access to three different attic wargames venues. So I am perhaps untypical in my lazy and often solo approach to my hobby.

Perhaps the scope and nature of Memoir44 would make a short article for Journal or this forum?

Good luck with your games day proposal.
CarlL

It could be material for a Journal article but there are a lot of articles available here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10630/memoir-44
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpa … y-landings
Given that it was published in 2004 and has become very popular I would have imagined members would be familiar with it but it would seem that is not always the case.

It is a very light form of wargaming with a tad too much luck for my taste but I play it fairly regularly because it is easy to get to the table and completes within two hours.  Light and fun.

After 50+ years in the hobby, I also have a preference for 'local' activity and prefer limiting journeys to one or one and a half hours maximum.  On the assumption that this applies to others it is one reason for soliciting levels of interest for such a location and finding out how many members in the area are interested!  It would be fun to get all six maps down on the table but that needs at least 12 players, which is rather a lot of SOTCW members to get in one place.

#5 11-Jun-2017 18:04:38

CarlL
Lieutenant General

Having by chance seen the Eastern Front Memoir44 extension set ina games shop in York today, the box art / box graphics and brief talk thru, suggested an Axis and Allies type format ? Or is this way off the mark?
12 players in any one place bar a very active local club or trade convention seems unlikely! But very desirable aim.
CarlL

#6 12-Jun-2017 07:37:27

Russell Phillips
root
Website

I have a copy of the base game, but Guildford is too far for me to travel, I'm afraid.

Russell Phillips

Shilka Publishing
20% discount for SOTCW members - see The Journal for details

#7 12-Jun-2017 09:02:50

Seret
Major
Website

hammurabi70 wrote:

Given that it was published in 2004 and has become very popular I would have imagined members would be familiar with it but it would seem that is not always the case.

That's a pretty fair assumption. I'd imagine most people had heard of it, although possibly under the name Commands and Colours, or the other recent C20th offering The Great War? Any of those ring a bell Carl?

#8 12-Jun-2017 13:46:41

Rumblestrip

I know the game and it's perfectly okay as a light wargame.

However I have just returned from the south and their chipshops' failure to serve mushy peas or gravy makes it difficult for me to contemplate going again. Well that and the 250 mile round trip.

Good luck with it however.

Chers
Andrew

¡Vencerán…pero no convencerán!

#9 12-Jun-2017 18:23:33

CarlL
Lieutenant General

Andrew
So North man..... smile
CarlL

#10 13-Jun-2017 21:04:40

hammurabi70
Major

Rumblestrip wrote:

their chipshops' failure to serve mushy peas or gravy makes it difficult for me to contemplate going again.

My wife makes the same complaint about living in the south.

There is an interesting review that has just been posted here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/179502 … -memoir-44

Worth a read; extract:

Borg started designing the Commands & Colors system in the late 1970s. He was into big strategy board games and military miniatures, but the games he was playing took all day to play and often did not come to a resolution. Additionally, these games didn’t have a historical feel. While at the Rock Con game convention he purchased a set of American Civil War 25mm miniatures, and soon he started work on rules for a game based on the American Civil War. “I wanted to create a game that played to a conclusion in a few hours, had a winner, and provided players with the feel of the historical period,” Borg said. Taking elements from both board games and miniature gaming, he developed the game system in a few weeks.

Additionally:

Though the gameplay is similar between the various Commands & Colors games, there are variations to account for historical realities. As Borg said, “By design, my chief goal is to make each Commands & Colors game play like history reads. And this is why certain play concepts are in a specific game. They are included to give the historical period more depth, detail and or the proper feel.”

Memoir ‘44 has gone on to receive countless expansions. The game has a popular digital implementation, and it is still in print by Days of Wonder.

Board footer