You are not logged in.

#1 01-Jun-2017 13:41:56

dadlamassu
Major General
Website

French Paratroops 1940

I was reading about the 1940 campaign in France and found references to the French Paratroop Company's actions.  I have found some pictures of them in their jump overalls but I was going to wargame with them I'd like to know if their combat uniform was any different to that of the infantry.

Anyone know?
Note the Boys ATRs!  (and the "bunny ears")
Boys_ATR.jpg

Jump Overalls (the holster are not for huge pistols but their rifles)
carbines_on_the_side_.jpg

Last edited by dadlamassu (01-Jun-2017 13:43:23)

#2 01-Jun-2017 13:57:26

Richard B.

Re: French Paratroops 1940

Found these images

equipment_items_zpslnlkugi3.jpg
00front_zpskprgxw9s.jpg
01front_zpsi10v2vgj.jpg

"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

#3 01-Jun-2017 14:06:05

granty101
Lieutenant General

Well you do learn something new everyday...I never knew the French had any Paratroop units/companies/regiments hmm

Grant

Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

#4 01-Jun-2017 14:39:41

dadlamassu
Major General
Website

Those photos are useful and I found them too.  However, the idea of the jump suit (very fashionable) was that it was discarded on the DZ and the troops fought in something less conspicuous. Mind you they probably kept their suits on as it made them look elite.

Interestingly the fashion industry adopted the idea after the armies discarded it
joleen-camouflage-jumpsuit-85429-30.jpg

#5 01-Jun-2017 15:21:37

granty101
Lieutenant General

dadlamassu wrote:

Those photos are useful and I found them too.  However, the idea of the jump suit (very fashionable) was that it was discarded on the DZ and the troops fought in something less conspicuous.

Would a paratrooper, (possibly under fire), have time to 'disrobe' from his jump suit in a Drop Zone??

Grant

#6 01-Jun-2017 15:35:52

dadlamassu
Major General
Website

If he lands under fire the plan he is probably in the wrong place (not uncommon).  Of course he will have the time because he does not have to do it immediately on landing.  He can still move and fight with it on until it is safe to take it off.  As I said the idea was to discard it but they probably did not.

#7 01-Jun-2017 16:18:59

granty101
Lieutenant General

dadlamassu wrote:

I was reading about the 1940 campaign in France and found references to the French Paratroop Company's actions.  I have found some pictures of them in their jump overalls but I was going to wargame with them I'd like to know if their combat uniform was any different to that of the infantry.

Alan, did they fight as infantry from the outset of the campaign? I only ask as I had never heard of French Paratroops until you did this post.

Also, as France was invaded, would these Paratroops ever/even have 'jumped in anger' behind German lines??

Paratroop assaults are widely known and written about, (e.g. the German attack upon Eben Emael fort complex, and later on during the Crete campaign), plus the British/Allied air assault during Operation Market Garden...but nothing about French Paratroop actions.

I think this has the makings of an article for the Journal, as it's something I'd like to read more about smile

Grant

#8 01-Jun-2017 16:48:51

dadlamassu
Major General
Website

granty101 wrote:

Alan, did they fight as infantry from the outset of the campaign? I only ask as I had never heard of French Paratroops until you did this post.

Yes ground troops only, they were attached to the Chasseurs Alpin in Alsace.

granty101 wrote:

Also, as France was invaded, would these Paratroops ever/even have 'jumped in anger' behind German lines??

They had originally been intended to drop from Potez-640 or Farman-222 but were allocated to a ground role and split into groups as deep recce and carried out patrols and ambushes behind German lines. 

granty101 wrote:

I think this has the makings of an article for the Journal, as it's something I'd like to read more about smile

It is part of a bigger project I'm working on and may be published into the Journal.  I've been reading that the Journal is on its way out though I've not received my copy yet to confirm this.  If the Journal survives then it will certainly be submitted.

#9 01-Jun-2017 17:28:11

granty101
Lieutenant General

dadlamassu wrote:

If the Journal survives then it will certainly be submitted.

I think the Journal will survive for a while yet...so get writing Alan, as I'd love to read more about these troops please.

Grant

Board footer