You are not logged in.

#1 01-Apr-2017 08:28:14

UshCha
Staff Sergeant

PDF Subscriptions Help

I felt guilty ;-) and the SOTCW is a good forum so I thought I would pay for a PDF subcription (realy to help pay for the forum).  However when I click on it it just shows a jurnal at £5.58.  I think somerhings broke or I have missed the plot.  Help please.

#2 01-Apr-2017 09:08:51

Russell Phillips
root
Website

Re: PDF Subscriptions Help

It sounds like you've got the right thing. The picture is always the latest Journal cover. If underneath it says "Subscription 15 (PDF)" and a description, then you're all good.

Russell Phillips

Shilka Publishing
20% discount for SOTCW members - see The Journal for details

#3 01-Apr-2017 11:42:20

granty101
Lieutenant General

UshCha wrote:

I felt guilty, and the SOTCW is a good forum so I thought I would pay for a PDF subscription

Don't feel guilty, you're doing your bit now smile

Grant

Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

#4 01-Apr-2017 18:10:22

UshCha
Staff Sergeant

Done it now.

#5 01-Apr-2017 22:58:16

hammurabi70
Major

UshCha wrote:

Done it now.

Good show!

However, the tricky bit is to have enough of interest that is free to attract the ordinary punter to the forum while having enough behind the pay-wall to make it worthwhile wanting to subscribe.

If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

#6 02-Apr-2017 07:42:33

Rumblestrip

hammurabi70 wrote:

However, the tricky bit is to have enough of interest that is free to attract the ordinary punter to the forum while having enough behind the pay-wall to make it worthwhile wanting to subscribe.

That's interesting. I've never considered the forum the gateway to the Journal/Society. Probably more the other direction, if anything.

Presumably, reading across from the other post, in your view we should be seeking ways to enhance/promote the forum in order to convince people to join the Society which then offers further goodies (which may or may not include some physical written organ).

Cheers

Andrew

¡Vencerán…pero no convencerán!

#7 02-Apr-2017 18:58:56

hammurabi70
Major

Yes I think so.  Newspapers try to find ways to get online subscribers paying cash and they have the advantage of getting serious advertising revenue.  I think SOTCW has to get the best out of the synergies of publication and online forum.  People are not going to pay for a forum as there are already plenty of those available for free but this one gets used regularly and needs to become the 'go-to' site for those interested in the period.  The question would then become what would people be willing to pay for in addition?

If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

#8 03-Apr-2017 07:37:23

Russell Phillips
root
Website

hammurabi70 wrote:

Yes I think so.  Newspapers try to find ways to get online subscribers paying cash and they have the advantage of getting serious advertising revenue.

Newspapers seem to be struggling with the switch to digital, and with falling revenue (particularly from advertising), so I'm not sure they have the answer.

The main difference between us and them, however, is that we don't need to make a profit, just cover our costs. If we abandon print copies of the Journal, and only have a web presence (whatever form that takes), then the costs go down dramatically.

Russell Phillips

Shilka Publishing

#9 03-Apr-2017 09:02:53

granty101
Lieutenant General

Russell Phillips wrote:

Newspapers seem to be struggling with the switch to digital, and with falling revenue (particularly from advertising), so I'm not sure they have the answer.

The main difference between us and them, however, is that we don't need to make a profit, just cover our costs. If we abandon print copies of the Journal, and only have a web presence (whatever form that takes), then the costs go down dramatically.

Russell, I work in the newspaper and magazine distribution industry, and I can say wholeheartedly that my company has seen, (over the last ten years), and drop of around 15% in newspaper and magazine sales. Newspapers and magazines sell advertising based upon how many they print, not how many they sell!! Your can print one hundred thousand copies, but if you only sell fifty thousand, then you only get seen by fifty thousand people, and you have a 'waste' of another fifty thousand that you still have to pay for!! The Journal on the other hand, being a subscription only magazine, gets its advertisers seen by all.

As for an online only presence: you can log onto/into any of the major tabloid sites without having to pay. (At work at midnight, we log into the local 'rag' website and read the headlines....and this is over two hours before they reach us at the depot!!)

Another thing to consider, and this has been raised before on the forum, (I think??), is that not all our subscribers to the printed version have computers, so they won't be able to have access to the Journal.

I don't have the answers, but I sure don't want to see the Journal go digital only. sad

Grant

P.S. If it does go digital only, will we have 'pop up' adverts from advertisers?? I do hope not, as 'pop up' ads bug the heck out of me on some websites!!! mad

#10 03-Apr-2017 09:17:31

Russell Phillips
root
Website

I very much doubt we'd use pop-up adverts - people dislike them, and websites are reporting that they're getting less and less income from adverts. If it's down to me (as I suspect it will be for the foreseeable future), if there are pop-ups at all, they'll be discreet and won't track you. I have one on my own website, which doesn't appear on mobile screens (because it would take up too much space), and on a full-size screen, is in the bottom-right corner, so that it doesn't obscure the actual content.

We currently pay about £50/year for the domain and web hosting. If we do go digital-only, it'd probably be worth revisiting how we raise money, since the amount needed would be so much lower.

Russell Phillips

Shilka Publishing

#11 03-Apr-2017 09:36:10

granty101
Lieutenant General

Russell Phillips wrote:

I very much doubt we'd use pop-up adverts - people dislike them

I don't mind sidebar adverts on my screen, but not pop-up ones...bugs the heck out of me Russell!!

Grant

#12 03-Apr-2017 09:38:00

Russell Phillips
root
Website

Grant, you're not alone, which is why I doubt we'd use them. Have you thought about installing an ad blocker?

Russell Phillips

Shilka Publishing

#13 03-Apr-2017 10:31:37

granty101
Lieutenant General

Russell Phillips wrote:

Grant, you're not alone, which is why I doubt we'd use them. Have you thought about installing an ad blocker?

Russell, I have a pop-up blocker, but some still get through sad

I find it's mainly on sites I'm not registered with and just want a quick browse for something..

Grant

#14 03-Apr-2017 12:04:30

Russell Phillips
root
Website

Nothing is perfect, but I find the combination of AdBlock Plus and Privacy Badger to be pretty effective.

Russell Phillips

Shilka Publishing

#15 04-Apr-2017 07:06:05

Seret
Major
Website

Russell Phillips wrote:

If we abandon print copies of the Journal, and only have a web presence (whatever form that takes), then the costs go down dramatically.

I think it'll go that way eventually, it's just a question of when. It's a much more efficient form of delivery, and if people want they can always print it out. Print on demand is an area that's just waiting for someone to move in and "do it right", too.

Board footer