You are not logged in.

#1 30-Jan-2017 00:08:08

Russell Phillips
root
Website

J90 stop press: The future of the Journal and the Society

Journal 90 has more colour photos than usual. This is because the society currently has plenty of money, but very few contributions for the Journal (so the additional photos are eye-candy filler). If we carry on as planned, we would finish this subscription with around £1,500 in cash and far too few articles to continue printing the Journal.

We’ve therefore decided to use the extra money to provide a better Journal, with more colour. As things stand, we’re going to struggle to get enough content to fill the Journals for Sub 15. Indeed anything beyond Journal 91 looks very threatened. We set out to print Journals every two months (and will achieve that for the first three editions), but if we don’t get enough articles, we may have to delay sending out Journals until we have enough content to fill them.

At the end of Sub 15, we’ll have to make a decision about whether or not to continue with the Journal and currently the odds-on likely decision will be to stop production. We don’t want to take people’s money if we can’t send them what they’ve paid for, and we’re simply not getting enough material to feel confident that we could fill another subscription. If we can’t produce the Journal, then we’ll have to make a decision about how and if the society continues.

Russ Phillips, Pete Jones, Andrew Rolph, and Phil Gray

Russell Phillips

Shilka Publishing
20% discount for SOTCW members - see The Journal for details

#2 30-Jan-2017 07:02:50

Richard B.

Re: J90 stop press: The future of the Journal and the Society

Been there done this sad

You could broadcast a request for material on TMP, The Wargames website plus any forums anyone is on? Offer free membership or prizes (I have books I can donate).

What about a competition?

"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

#3 30-Jan-2017 09:33:45

granty101
Lieutenant General

Hello all,

I have sent Pete a rough draft of an article I'm working on. I hope to have it finished this week. I've also got a few more ideas kicking about in my head, but I'm no professional writer and I find I need time too, not only research the articles in question, but to write them up!! (Russell, you've written a few books, I think you know what I mean?)

But I shall endeavour too write (something) for as long as the Journal goes on smile

Grant

Last edited by granty101 (30-Jan-2017 09:34:31)

Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

#4 30-Jan-2017 10:59:51

Russell Phillips
root
Website

I know exactly what you mean, Grant. Unfortunately I also know that there's no way around it - the only solution is to find time to sit down and write.

Russell Phillips

Shilka Publishing
20% discount for SOTCW members - see The Journal for details

#5 30-Jan-2017 11:45:52

Richard B.

More ideas -

Email games people direct - Richard Clarke (Toofatlardies), Colin Rumford (Rapid Fire!), Scott Fisher (Skirmish Campaigns) + the guys who sell "Bolt Action" (and anyone else you can think of - Iron Ivan Games, The Battlegroup system lads - Warwick Kincaid or Piers Brand?) and ask them directly for something you can publish almost as an adverticle for their product/rules.

Ask Jim Webster if he has anything he`d like to contribute (hes still writing for MW I notice).

"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

#6 30-Jan-2017 14:42:58

CarlL
Lieutenant General

Sobering,

My plea would be to delay production rather than halt production.

Time and energy to write (and something that burns your fire to stoke the engine up) are barriers to producing. I have some ideas I am working on, slowly, so hope to have a few short articles in soonish.

CarlL

Last edited by CarlL (30-Jan-2017 14:43:25)

#7 30-Jan-2017 16:07:32

granty101
Lieutenant General

CarlL wrote:

Sobering,

My plea would be to delay production rather than halt production.

Time and energy to write (and something that burns your fire to stoke the engine up) are barriers to producing. I have some ideas I am working on, slowly, so hope to have a few short articles in soonish.

CarlL

CarlL, I shall mention you in dispatches at the end of my article!! lol

Grant

#8 01-Feb-2017 23:26:04

panzerman44
Brigadier

If it does fold that would be a shame for sure. But equally you can only publish what is sent in.
Only solution is for people to send more articles in, and there's the rub.

Nicht Kleckern sondern Klotzen!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVFCLq664Oc
"We're playing a wargame not making a documentary." The Cardinal's 3rd Maxim

#9 02-Feb-2017 03:58:35

Dave Knight
Lieutenant

Did you get my review of 'Kamikaze' ?

2017 target 101 games

#10 28-Mar-2017 19:39:16

hammurabi70
Major

As a practical point for gaining interesting articles could the following be promoted?

(1) Most members will have read at least two books during 2016.  Could they not do a review of the best and worst to inform others that the book exists, what it does and if it is good, bad or indifferent?
(2) Any member who has purchased at least one miniature during the year could do a short review of it.
(3) Most members will have had at least one game during the year: a brief write up of the most memorable of the year would be informative if players could indicate why it was so memorable so that others could reflect on how to set good games.

Generic appeals seldom seem to produce much whereas some specifics could create greater response.

If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

#11 28-Mar-2017 21:11:33

Richard B.

hammurabi70

Please read any of the multiple begging posts I wrote as editor over the 8 or so yrs I did it - I asked those very questions and begged the membership to support their magazine - only the usual suspects ever stepped up sad

#12 28-Mar-2017 22:24:56

hammurabi70
Major

I fear you are missing the point.  General appeals generate little result; been there, done it, bought the T-shirt.  25 years ago I was virtually writing half the content of the Arquebusier.  This is a suggestion for members with direct concepts; of course if nobody responds then we can agree that there is insufficient interest to maintain the Journal.

If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

#13 29-Mar-2017 09:01:17

granty101
Lieutenant General

hammurabi70 wrote:

of course if nobody responds then we can agree that there is insufficient interest to maintain the Journal.

You will always get those who 'lurk' on the fringes, buy the Journal, but never feel competent enough to write anything for it...then you get people like myself who will try to write something, albeit not as good as authors like James Clavell or Jeffrey Archer...and then you get people like Russell Phillips who is a published author and who does write a bit for the Journal.

Speaking from personal experience of manning a Society stand last year at Stockton, people gazed at the copies of the Journal on display before they signed up for membership. How do you expect to attract new members if you have nothing 'physical' to show them??

As Richard said, it was, is, and always will be, a never ending battle to get members to submit articles...but this member will try as hard as he can to write something, as I still prefer a good physical copy to read.

Grant

#14 29-Mar-2017 10:29:41

Richard B.

hammurabi70

I think you missed my point also - I made the very points you have - read a book/write review; buy a new toy/write review; play a game/write an AAR

I honestly did, go back and have a read through past posts & Journal editorials 

Mark Wheeler (when he did answer emails) said that this was never an issue for him or Mark Bevis during their periods as editor - but I pointed out - the bloody Journal never arrived on-time to a fixed schedule under them either smile Maybe the team is just trying too hard for perfection when with a volunteer, society run, un-paid submissions magazine - this just ain`t going to happen.

We/you/ the team whatever have to accept things arn`t going to be easy or perfect.

Members will understand (the majority) that they can`t have their cake and eat it, if the editor and his team arn`t supplied with sufficient material, you cannot expect an 100% production schedule. Not once did I get a single complaint about a late issue - never, and I`m pretty sure you won`t get any either (to be honest, anyone who does complain is an arsehole anyway).

The team are doing a fantastic job under difficult (if not impossible circumstances) and should take great heart from that - don`t beat your selves up if an issue is late, tell it how it is in a press release on TMP et al across the web. If the society doesn`t pull its collective fingers out the magazine won`t last - end of.

#15 29-Mar-2017 11:02:18

granty101
Lieutenant General

I have to agree with you Richard, and I myself, (not blowing my own trumpet), have got a few articles that need finishing or on the back burner.

Grant

#16 29-Mar-2017 15:51:31

CarlL
Lieutenant General

We are in danger of shooting the messengers, and each other. (I will take cover at this point!) wink

Russell noted the need for material to keep the Journal on schedule.  As Richard noted it is an all too common problem. The previous editors may have found a solution in terms of not producing a Journal when no material was forthcoming?  I suppose the balance to be struck is between lessening the schedule to match the flow of articles when we have a drought of articles? While agreeing as a membership to holding the cash balance till we have material to produce and apolgising to those who have subscribed as the Journal is a voluntary effort by members even if some write and many others read only.

More efforts to all our "pens" (ok wordprocessors or whatever) rather than self destruction by mud slinging.

CarlL

Last edited by CarlL (29-Mar-2017 15:56:04)

#17 29-Mar-2017 17:38:23

granty101
Lieutenant General

CarlL wrote:

More efforts to all our "pens" (ok wordprocessors or whatever) rather than self destruction by mud slinging.

CarlL

Carl, if you ever get covered in mud, I volunteer to turn the hose on you and wash it off!!! lol

Grant

#18 29-Mar-2017 18:04:12

CarlL
Lieutenant General

Cheers Grant, thats surely what friends are for!! ???

CarlL

#19 29-Mar-2017 18:08:38

granty101
Lieutenant General

CarlL wrote:

Cheers Grant, thats surely what friends are for!! ???

CarlL

I'm not your friend...I'm your carer...hence why I get the carers allowance!!! lol

Grant

#20 28-Jul-2017 00:07:10

TWR
Lance Corporal

An interesting editorial in Journal 93.

I joined the society of few months back, when I noticed the more reasonably priced PDF version. I was somewhat disappointed in soon after reading the demise of the journal.

As a new member my reading of the editorial in 92 was that the fate was determined and nothing in the future would change the decision. The latest editorial suggests a change, even if an electronic version is the way forward. My point here is that the the editorial in 92 indicated to me there was no future. That may have contributed to the lack of response lamented in editorial 93.

Trying to get punters to contribute will of course, as with any hobby journal, be a challenge. Having a possible way forward may in time assist the process, only time will tell.

Thanks for all those who have worked on the journal, both editing and contributing. It will be interesting to see how things develop.

Kind regards,

Keith

Last edited by TWR (28-Jul-2017 00:07:37)

#21 28-Jul-2017 06:48:21

granty101
Lieutenant General

TWR wrote:

I joined the society of few months back, when I noticed the more reasonably priced PDF version. I was somewhat disappointed in soon after reading the demise of the journal.

Keith

Hello Keith, well I hope the Journal isn't going to die, as I do prefer a paper copy to read...and yes, you're right, the journal can only survive if people contribute. I'm on doing three, yes three, articles which I hope prove interesting and informative...but like everyone else who writes articles, I get stuck, and have lost my writing mojo in the past. Hopefully that will change soon.

Grant

#22 13-Aug-2017 03:39:28

Joe Legan
Private

Just downloaded J93 and read the future of the journal part 2.  I have only been a member for a few years but can certainly put something together.  Will submit a scenario for my platoon forward game that I finished recently.  My only other thought to induce submissions would be to "credit" folks who write articles.  How about a free back issue per X pages or 1/6th off your next subscription? 

Cheers

Joe

#23 27-Aug-2017 16:48:18

Rumblestrip

Sorry no one's responded from the editorial team - I think we've all been busy editing or on holiday. I'm typing this in France.

Anyway credit for articles is a basically sound idea which starts to create quite a lot of admin when you look closely at it. Basically it would have to be a credit against a future sub which would leave to multiple prices to check (because of different discounts) or the free granting of a whole sub to a contributor. So how many words earn you a sub? What do we do about lost income? Would it be a pdf sub only (might be an empty gesture for those who want hard copies)? Giving some sort of discount per article could reduce income so much that the cover price has to be raised. Is a review worth the same as an article? Other things occur the more you think about it.

Some rewards have been given in the past but on an as hoc basis (and I don't think ever by the current team - because we're mean spirited curmudgeons).

So, perfectly good idea but a bit too tricky.

Cheers (or salut)

Andrew

¡Vencerán…pero no convencerán!

Board footer