You are not logged in.

#1 26-Mar-2017 08:18:34

dadlamassu
Major General
Website

North Korean Armed Forces

Some interesting vehicles including BTR-40 still in service!
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/photos/th … p#image=38

#2 26-Mar-2017 08:42:46

Richard B.

Re: North Korean Armed Forces

All for show I suspect.......

Not an expert on modern war, but the size of your standing army is irrelevant when your enemy (the US or whoever) can stand off and obliterate your men without hardly risking anything.

Look at Iraq, their tankers couldn`t even see the M1s that blew them to pieces! Drones and lazer guided munitions smash your bunkers and comms. Patriot (and ECM, etc) provides protection from your missiles, etc.

Frankly I don`t see a "war" lasting too long - could be very costly in lives and the North would probably deploy chemicals and nukes in desperation, but that would only delay the inevitable.

The "free world" and I use the term in its loosest form rather than stoop to "good guys Vs bad guys" would probably start be a long term air campaign over many months, before they even considered a land campaign - if that was ever needed? I think after a few weeks/months the North`s generals would arrest their leader pop him against a wall and sue for peace.

"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

#3 26-Mar-2017 11:23:42

granty101
Lieutenant General

Richard B. wrote:

I think after a few weeks/months the North`s generals would arrest their leader pop him against a wall and sue for peace.

I don't think the Chinese would let it go that long. After all, in economic terms, China would have a lot more to lose than say America, Japan, South Korea or the European Union countries in a long protracted conflict on their own doorstep.

grant

Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

#4 26-Mar-2017 11:52:00

bannockburn bhoy
General

The Chinese are the only reason the ""State" of North Korea exists.

#5 26-Mar-2017 12:14:27

granty101
Lieutenant General

bannockburn bhoy wrote:

And North Korea is a right state!!! lol

Grant

#6 29-May-2017 08:05:55

Peter
Major

granty101 wrote:
bannockburn bhoy wrote:

And North Korea is a right state!!! lol

Grant

And in what state are they Grant? big_smile

Peter

"See problems as challenges"
"I've done so much with so little for so long, I'm now entitled to do anything with nothing"

#7 29-May-2017 11:30:42

granty101
Lieutenant General

Peter wrote:

And in what state are they Grant? big_smile

Peter

From what is said on the news Peter, I'd say it was in a state of decay!!!!

Grant

#8 30-May-2017 07:59:59

Peter
Major

I see those messages too and that they have a lot of old stuff in the army, but...........
It doesn't matter if you are hit by a bullet from 1950 or one from 2017.
Both a dangerous, if not deadly.

My 2 cents.....

Peter

"See problems as challenges"
"I've done so much with so little for so long, I'm now entitled to do anything with nothing"

#9 30-May-2017 08:22:40

Seret
Major
Website

Richard B. wrote:

Patriot (and ECM, etc) provides protection from your missiles, etc.

Yeah, not really. Patriot intercept rates in the Gulf War were about 40%. Ballistic missile defence is still a very tough nut to crack. ECM is little use as ballistic missile guidance tends to be passive (ie: inertial).

The US is pouring BIG money into ballistic missile defence, but so far all they've really got are a string of embarrassing failures and some point defence systems (Patriot, Standard SM-3) that offer partial protection.

In a real shooting war against NK the US wouldn't really have the option of holding them at arm's length. Seoul is very close to the border, and South Korea and the US would be obliged to defend it. There are a lot of US ground forces on the peninsular that would be up to their neck in it.

Having said that, yes, the US would quickly establish air supremacy which would go a long way toward tackling NK armour.

Board footer