Potential future website (split from What`s everyone up too?)

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
Richard B.

Re: What`s everyone up too?

Post by Richard B. »

Seret wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 16:50 Right, so lack of engagement from the membership, yet 20th century remains the single most popular period in wargaming. Something of a paradox, no?

Which means that while wargamers aren't spendng cycles of brain time on SOTCW, they are doing it elsewhere.

They're out there, the trick is engaging them.
Well this forum has failed - i gave you the scores earlier what is your big plan??
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
hammurabi70

Post by hammurabi70 »

Richard B. wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 17:11Well this forum has failed
In what way? The Wargamers Guild was a long established website that has reinvented itself so it is hardly surprising that it is reconnecting with previous members and growing quickly.

How is it doing in comparison with the previous forum?

How is it doing in comparison with other period-specific Societies?
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

I am not blaming anyone or pointing fingers I was just stating facts.

I don`t see any new members signing up and posting here, just the same old faces (welcome :D ), but nobody new. So this forum isn`t doing it, we are not attracting new members as we have nothing to offer, that isn`t available on others forums - sad but true :cry:

The website hasn`t had anything new for months either (December 2nd according to google), this is hardly keeping us in the spotlight either - and before you raise any argument about me knowing fuck all, I run (as you well know) a small guesthouse, our industry has had to adapt to the internet more than most over recent years. Our website is updated everyday to keep those Google spiders finding us.

You want to change the face of the society away from the stuffy old Journal - fine, but you have to actually DO SOMETHING............

I feel like i`m just repeating myself to those who don`t really want to listen, I`ve supported the society, I`ve supported 4 editors and various "teams" over the years, i`ve posted on here and the older forum as much as anyone. I`ve therefore tried my best (I am wearing an SOTCW shirt today too as it happens :D ).

I`ll leave it now and see what you all want to do, I won`t bring this up again. :cry:
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
granty101

Post by granty101 »

hammurabi70 wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 22:03
Not at all; being internet based IS the way of the future.
Sorry to disagree with you, but I still like to read a 'physical' copy.

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!
granty101

Post by granty101 »

Richard B. wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 17:07
Also you come up with ideas but never actually do fuck all
Well Seret, looks like the ball is well and truly in your court now...Time to put up or shut up :P

Grant
Seret

Post by Seret »

Richard B. wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 17:11 what is your big plan??
I don't have a "big plan" Richard, like I said I'm just tossing an idea out there.

But since you're asking; what I would do is:
  1. Set up a "magazine" style site using a good CMS that allows collaboration. Personally I would use Wordpress (a proper install of it hosted on sotcw.co.uk), but that's just me.
  2. Transfer the existing archive of articles into the site. This would be the lion's share of the work, but it's a one-off hit.
  3. Set up a "leaky paywall" for it. This would allow search engines to index the content so that people searching for things like "spearhead scenario" would find our content, which presently they don't. At the moment the SOTCW is almost invisible.
  4. You could set it up so that visitors had whatever level of free access to the archive you liked. Not at all, one article, whatever
  5. Running costs would be the domain and hosting (which we already pay for) and the bandwidth (which our current package may be enough for?). You're looking at something like £100 a year. So I'd set membership fairly low, £2-3 a year should be plenty
  6. I'd give anyone who submits and article free membership for 6 months or a year
  7. Members would be authors in the CMS, they could submit reviews or articles straight into it, and then the editor(s) could review, edit and schedule the posts for publication at whatever rate match the number of submissions
  8. It would probably need one site admin, one or more editor, and input from the treasurer.
  9. I'd link it to FB and Twitter, to push out notifications of new articles, etc.
  10. At launch I'd publicise it everywhere and probably give out free memberships for the first month or so.
The result would be that the archives of the Journal would be visible to everybody on the internet and search engines, but to actually read them folks would have to join the society. Membership would be a small fee for "consumers" and free for "producers".

Setting up that kind of site wouldn't be hard, like I said, the majority of the work would be in transfering the archives over to a web format. Running costs would be negligible, and workload for the editor(s) would be reduced, and they'd no longer be working to deadlines. Publication of new content could be paced to match the rate it came in at. We'd have a platform to allow collaboration, rather than the poor old editor beavering away in isolation.
dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu »

That is a plan, one that is doomed though. Why?

The central issue is not what format the "Journal" should be presented in. That is a side issue that seems to fill pages, more than enough to fill several "Journals" in fact.

What you have failed to address is the core of the "Journal" - the contributors. You can engage all you want with the internet community, Facebook, Twitter or whatever but without securing contributions all you will have is an archive of those contributors who want their articles on the web. Remember that the authors retain the copyright of their submissions so their IP will need to be protected as the SOTCW does not own the material - each author does.

What is needed are contributions not plans.

The solution is amazingly simple. Write something for the Journal and stop "bouncing things around" filling the pages of the forum with hot air.

So get off your collective arses and write something that we can read in the Journal and all these discussions will disappear like magic and the Journal will prosper.
Seret

Post by Seret »

I don't think calling on current members will work, we need new blood with more diverse interests. It's a chicken and egg problem though, how do we attract new members if they don't feel the society has content that's relevant to them?

I think we have to work with what we've got, which is the current library of existing journal content. It's really the society's only asset, and the only thing we can use to attract members. Right now we're not putting it to good use IMO.
granty101

Post by granty101 »

Seret wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 17:13
I don't have a "big plan" Richard, like I said I'm just tossing an idea out there.

But since you're asking; what I would do is:
Go on then, do it!!!

Grant
granty101

Post by granty101 »

dadlamassu wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 17:48 So get off your collective arses and write something that we can read in the Journal
Alan,

After talking/messaging with Richard Baber today, I can honestly say that my finger is well and truly 'pulled out!!'. I am composing two articles as we speak/type/message, and I'm researching a third...so hopefully sometime soon, Pete will be getting a big e-mail from me. Whether the articles get printed is another matter. :lol:

Grant