WWII in 1:87 WIP

A place for your pictures and tips
billk

WWII in 1:87 WIP

Post by billk »

I'll use this thread to post images of my WWII work-in-progress.
Equipment is typically 1:87 and figures are 20mm.
Here we go...

Just completed Fidelis Models resin M3 GMCs...

and an Alsacast resin M3 Scout Car and Roco Dodge Command Car.

Roco M10s still needing some seam sealing and priming.

Roco Pzkfw IIIs (horribly inaccurate model but I have too many to re-invest in newer resin alternatives) still awaiting seam sealing and priming.

Militarizing of civilian die cast trucks from Interntional Hobby Corporation. Not sure how they will end up. For reference, these trucks run slightly big for true 1:87 HO Scale - I would guess 1:84-85th-ish; so they work well for medium military trucks and are suitable as light trucks in 20mm.

Two of the same IHC civilian die casts, replaced wheels and details added, previously pressed into service with my DAK.

more to follow...
David Reasoner

Re: WWII in 1:87 WIP

Post by David Reasoner »

Very nice work on the American vehicles. The IHC diecasts are intriguing, as they might pass for Italian Fiat 15ter light trucks if one squints hard enough. Although a pre-WW1 design, a fair number seemed to have survived into WW2. From 1924-31 they were also license-built in the Soviet Union by AMO (later ZiS, and still later ZIL) as the F-15.

David
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

The colour on those US vehicles is excellent :D

As it happens I have 2 GMC75s on the table to do next myself :)
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

You are a busy person, Bilk!!

The IHC civilian diecasts are fun.

CarlL
billk

Post by billk »

David, I'll leave the very fine technical details to you experts! As much as I love history, gaming, modeling, and all those interests encompass, I live by the mantra that these are war "games" and give myself a little leeway when approaching such things. As long as I keep my Panthers out of the Pacific, my M3 Lee/Grants out of Finland, and, well, you get the point. :lol: :D
billk

Post by billk »

:idea: :arrow: Someone asked about the brownish colored material on the M10s... cutup tea bags (ya know we didn't throw all things having to do with tea into Boston harbor). I like the various materials used to make tea bags, some a more open fabric than others, because I find they are flexible, thin and easy to cut, and can be folded and layered quite nicely, once saturated with super or white glue they are very durable; plus they typically have a good finish once primed. my two cents worth.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

billk wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 14:10 :idea: :arrow: Someone asked about the brownish colored material on the M10s... cutup tea bags (ya know we didn't throw all things having to do with tea into Boston harbor). I like the various materials used to make tea bags, some a more open fabric than others, because I find they are flexible, thin and easy to cut, and can be folded and layered quite nicely, once saturated with super or white glue they are very durable; plus they typically have a good finish once primed. my two cents worth.
I`ve used pieces of my wife`s old stockings as camo net before now :)
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
billk

Re: more WWII in 1:87 WIP

Post by billk »

Okay, after dissing the Roco Pzkfw III it seems only fair that I show what can be done with that little monster. These are not recent WIP but are part of the force.

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

I like the faded camo on the Europian one :D
billk

Post by billk »

While working on the Fidelis M3 GMCs, I found myself looking at a couple of unfinished Roco American halftracks and a tube of Green Stuff. Decided I needed some vehicles with the canvas tops rolled back/forward. Out came the hobby saw, the standard tops were cut, green stuff added. Still awaiting final detailing and weathering.

and then I decided I needed to have a couple of trailers since I have only one. So...
Last edited by billk on 24 Feb 2021, 20:24, edited 3 times in total.