SOTCW Future Offer

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
panzerman47

Re: SOTCW Future Offer

Post by panzerman47 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:51 pm

bannockburn bhoy wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:11 pm
So team your being "allowed" to comment . Do the team think there is any future for the Society.
If so ,how do we proceed. My own view is we could try to re-launch the forum, and then take it from there.
Perhaps recent events may stir up some renewed enthusiastic participation. I think its worth a go.
I think at least we should open up a genuine discussion on people's views on the possible way forward. cheers John
My view is that we should try and keep the Forum going.....at least it seems to work. I see no future for what Mark proposed,( no ill will intended, just my opinion, to which I am entitled...) so with that in mind I will keep posting here to everyone's mutual (dis)advantage.... :D

Phil_Gray_260

Post by Phil_Gray_260 » Thu May 30, 2019 10:26 pm

Speaking for myself, I am always happy to support the promotion of the period, by whatever methods are effective - Facebook, web forum, website articles, blogging (something I have yet to embrace as I feel my wargaming output is too sporadic to support it), a Journal (when there is material to be distributed), demo games (as in the past), period meet-ups etc.

With the funds on hand we can maintain the existing web presence. The website offers an outlet for any material members want to share, the forum offers the chance to chat, get information, and swap/ sell/ buy, facebook offers a further way of sharing items of interest.

To my mind the Society's mission remains unchanged - we want to promote interest in the conflicts of the 20th Century (and the expanding Modern era).

The Journal was one of the ways we did that.

Working with traders to provide in print advertising for free via the Journal was also one way of doing that.

Joint shows with the SFSFW were also something we tried.

Showcase games, highlighting a new range from a supportive manufacturer (looking at you here Shaun and thinking of your excellent Soviet motor rifle troops), were and remain an option too.

Reviews of new offerings can be placed on the website and forum.

We will work with the tools at hand and we will continue to look for new opportunities to promote the period.

Regards

Phil

Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:12 pm

bannockburn bhoy wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:11 pm
Do the team think there is any future for the Society.
If so ,how do we proceed. My own view is we could try to re-launch the forum, and then take it from there.
Personally, yes I think the society still has a future. Surely we proceed as we'd originally set out, with contributions being posted to the website? As Phil said, the society's aims haven't changed, only the way we go about fulfilling them.

I'm not sure what you mean by re-launching the forum.
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:23 pm

.perhaps re-launch was the wrong term, , ive put it on three or four occasions ,perhaps a reconnect would have been more appropriate . I mooted this as far back as February and used the term "reboot" to no response .
Getting in touch with everyone listed as a member and asking them to contribute something to the forum to try and get it back to the level that it was.
I think a lot of people have associated the Journal as being over with the forum being on the way out too. It was just an idea to draw peoples attention to the fact the forum was still alive and available.

hammurabi70

Post by hammurabi70 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:56 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by re-launching the forum.

Yes, an awkward phrase; reboot or reconnect or whatever.

As the main vehicle for the delivery of the services of the Society, I would agree a fresh and careful look at the methodology would be worthwhile. However, I repeat myself ad nauseam to the detriment of all; as the management team is aware of my views it is sufficient to merely have this brief reminder.
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

Kalinovsky

Post by Kalinovsky » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:40 am

http://www.thewargamersforum.com/viewto ... 363#p20363

Not quite sure why he is using an email starting with SOTCW. What is known in the commercial world as “passing off” I suspect

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Kalinovsky wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:40 am
http://www.thewargamersforum.com/viewto ... 363#p20363

Not quite sure why he is using an email starting with SOTCW. What is known in the commercial world as “passing off” I suspect
Probably the only email he has :roll:
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:01 pm

Given what transpired on here I was a wee bit taken aback Shaun to see you posting this on his behalf. I guess there really is no sentiment in business , I hope the endorsement doesn't come back and bite you on yer derriere.. John

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:51 pm

I don`t think this is the place for public disagreements :( Please try and keep this forum free of bad blood as it will reflect badly of the society. :(

if people feel they must have "words" PM them to one another and keep them off here please :roll:

Everyone here is entitled to support or NOT Mark`s proposal - that is a personal choice.
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

sandsmodels

Post by sandsmodels » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:52 pm

bannockburn bhoy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:01 pm
Given what transpired on here I was a wee bit taken aback Shaun to see you posting this on his behalf. I guess there really is no sentiment in business , I hope the endorsement doesn't come back and bite you on yer derriere.. John
i was asked to post it on the forum by mark who i have known for over 30 years.
i have purposely not realy got involved with the yes or no about the sotcw refresh but i for one would not like to see it go.
i have customers and friends on both sides of the argument so i feel it would not be in my interest to upset either party.
i am after all just selling toys to gamers.
the hobby is too small to upset anyone and life is too short to get upset over the pros and cons of it all.
i wish it can be sorted amicably for all. 8-)
sandsmodelshop.com