SOTCW Future Offer

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
Russell Phillips

Re: SOTCW Future Offer

Post by Russell Phillips » 05 May 2019, 21:35

bannockburn bhoy wrote:
05 May 2019, 10:37
As this overall topic is now spread over various threads it might be an idea (if its possible) to consolidate it all under one thread. cheers John
I think that's possible, but the end result can be very confusing. So, instead, I've posted links to this thread in the other threads.
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 05 May 2019, 22:58

I concur Russell ,thanks for sorting it out

hammurabi70

Post by hammurabi70 » 06 May 2019, 20:51

magnification wrote:
05 May 2019, 12:22
1) A regular PDF and hard copy newsletter (The Runner) bringing reviews, adverts, letters, product announcements. This may come at the rate of one a month or one a week – it may be sixteen pages or six. ... If needs be I can write this on my own but of course all input would be welcome and lead to speedier publication.
2) An occasional (objective is quarterly) pdf and hard copy magazine of 60 pages or there abouts (The Range Finder) primarily with all scales modelling content. ... If needs be I can write this on my own but of course all input would be welcome and lead to speedier publication.
3) An occasional pdf and hard copy magazine of 60 pages or there abouts (The Journal) bringing wargaming rules and historical summaries only. All other content goes in the two publications outlined above. I cannot write this on my own and need help/input.
This all looks fine and dandy but also looks like something of a wishlist. Given past experience of the current team it would seem likely that, as I have highlighted with my emphases, you will be doing an awful lot of work to make this happen. In fact, it looks as if you will be doing the whole of the Society work, both administratively in the 'back-office' and upfront in terms of the publications. How long before you suffer burnout?
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

panzerman47

Post by panzerman47 » 07 May 2019, 11:04

To me it all seems quite clear.

Regardless of anyone’s plans, ideas, intentions etc there is no longer, nor has there been for several years now, enough members willing to contribute material to sustain a Journal, be it hard copy, pdf or whatever.

I fail to see how that can be reversed.

Additionally, Internet in whatever form is now the preferred medium like it or not. It is not just the way forward, it is how it is right now, and it will only increase.
Things such as the Journal have gone the way of similar things usurped by the internet, such as writing letters.

It had it’s day, it was great, but has no future now.

sandsmodels

Post by sandsmodels » 07 May 2019, 13:53

as a founder member and long time trader here is my view.
when i heard about the proposals for the sotcw i along with my partner in crime i thought what a great idea as it might make cold war gaming a little easier with models, info and most of all sales as we had just started s&s models a year or so before.
out main aim was self promotion so anything that made sales better was great in our opinion and indeed it was along with more ideas that we had never thought of for new models ect we also gave members a discount to help sway their order preferences!
we have seen a steady sale to long term sotcw members but the discount take up is far lower than it was before i think due to less members and more out there in internet land taking members focus, there are now just so many f/book pages, web sites, forums, blogs ect that what would have been a goldmine of info in an article in the journal can now be found in seconds online making it a bit old hat, sadly we live in an age of easy access to info and short attention spans in the new breed of younger gamers who want it all on a plate and quickly too, they have little time for a mag to come through the post, i doubt we will attract many new members especialy the younger ones no matter what the sotcw do.
it would be a shame to see the journal stop but even i was not going to resub next time as we had not advertised for years and saw little point as the content to me was less and less relevant, i must admit a quick reminder from mark did get an advert sorted and put in, but since that stopped there was little time to remember we needed one for the next issue and have not seen a review of our models, (which we always read with interest) for years!
i think if mark want to rejuvenate the journal side of the sotcw then all is fine by me, if he has the enthusiasm and drive to make it work, which i think he has, then all well and good, as for more content all clubs newsletters suffer the same fate, only a few members contribute, i myself used to write articles in the early days but with so many hobbies and s&s models being full time i have even less time for it now.
my best wishes to who ever can take us forward to another level and i would like to thank all previous members for their hard work over the last 30 odd years.
thanks
shaun
sandsmodelshop.com

granty101

Post by granty101 » 07 May 2019, 16:04

sandsmodels wrote:
07 May 2019, 13:53
my best wishes to who ever can take us forward to another level and i would like to thank all previous members for their hard work over the last 30 odd years.
Well said that man.

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

cartfc

Post by cartfc » 07 May 2019, 22:24

Personally I would be in favour of any proposal that sustains the Society and the Journal. This is the only Society I am now a member of, being a lapsed member of SFSFW, Lance and Longbow and the SOA. Modern gaming was my first period using Charles Grant’s Battle and remains my favourite.

Fred.

hammurabi70

Post by hammurabi70 » 08 May 2019, 23:23

Interesting; my tale same but different. I joined the SoA in the 1980s but was soured by the heated politics within it of those days. I turned to the P&SS but suffered from burnout after a few years. I dropped out of Society scene for 20 years and then decided to join SOTCW; WWII was always my favourite period.

Why did you leave the other Societies? The SoA still has a good Journal so evidently, it is not the be all and end all of Society life! Is there a lesson for us there?
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

cartfc

Post by cartfc » 09 May 2019, 00:42

I couldn’t find a set of rules I liked playing for ancients and medieval, having played DBM for many years didn’t get on with DBMM or Fields of Glory. Having stopped playing the impetus to keep reading the magazines went. Same for SFSFW, the group I was playing with went their separate ways. Things change and you move on.

Cheers Fred.

CarlL

Post by CarlL » 12 May 2019, 09:58

Well said Fred.

CarlL

PS I began with Wargames by Donald Featherstone which set tone for my pursuing three periods! Initially in plastic only. I still think Lionel Tarrs WW2 rules are very good!

Apologies for mis-spelling names. Now corrected. I should avoid posting after my watershed / bedtime !!
Last edited by CarlL on 14 May 2019, 18:17, edited 2 times in total.