SOTCW Future Offer

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
magnification

SOTCW Future Offer

Post by magnification » 02 May 2019, 19:43

Around this time last year I floated an idea to widen the offering that the SOTCW now offers. This is here for those who may want a recap on what happened.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=325

Subsequently I came very close to establishing an alternative (but close to) version of the SOTCW called The MWD (Model Wargames Developments) but at the point of delivery various factors caused me to call a halt - primarily this was a low response rate of approx 25 interested parties. However, the enthusiasm of the respondents has stayed with me and of late I have been seriously considering revisiting the proposal, especially as I learnt a lot and had developed a lot of ideas I would still like to see flourish. Then I saw a few days ago the decision made to discontinue The Journal and reduce the SOTCW to an online forum; I daresay that before long this will also fade away leaving nothing of a hobby group that at one time numbered 700 individuals. As one of the founder members of the SOTCW I am upset and disappointed by this development and I wish now that I had not relinquished my Treasurer/Membership/Distribution role just a few short years ago.

So I would like to make the offer that I will step back up and 'take control' of the SOTCW again if people want me to do so. This would probably involve a new Team, but I am unclear how Russ, Phil and Andrew will receive this - I don't mean a revolution here, but rather an evolution and I hope they will read this in the spirit it is meant. We never had a proper decision making group/process in the SOTCW but I would propose this. There are some ten of you who regularly post on here and I see you as a steering group whose opinion and approval should be sort before radical change is implemented. I am asking for your support now via this forum with the following:

1) The role of Treasurer and Membership Co-ordination is returned to me.

2) All remaining funds (£600?) are sent to me along with the last accurate list of members.

In return I will:

1) Edit Journals that will be pdf and hard copy if funds allow. I have some articles in the pipeline from others and am prepared to write much myself.

2) Issue regular pdf newsletters very similar to The Runner which was done as part of my new proposal last year (email me at sotcwmarkw@hotmail.com if you would like a copy).

3) Establish a new or re-organised Team. As a minimum I need a web-master as my knowledge of such things in minimal and it would be good to keep this forum.

4) Endeavor to reestablish the SOTCW as it was intended to be in the early eighties.

Please feel free to discuss this and I will try and answer questions but at present I cannot get too specific as to how/what/where because I don't know until I get input from whatever is now left of the SOTCW membership. All I can say really is that I will do my upmost to achieve the above for us all.

One last thing, if my offer here is not welcomed then I will carry on and resurrect the MWD proposal independently anyway.

Thoughts please ?

Mark Wheeler

granty101

Re: SOTCW Future Offer

Post by granty101 » 03 May 2019, 17:18

magnification wrote:
02 May 2019, 19:43
1) The role of Treasurer and Membership Co-ordination is returned to me.

2) All remaining funds (£600?) are sent to me along with the last accurate list of members.

In return I will:

1) Edit Journals that will be pdf and hard copy if funds allow. I have some articles in the pipeline from others and am prepared to write much myself.

2) Issue regular pdf newsletters very similar to The Runner which was done as part of my new proposal last year (email me at sotcwmarkw@hotmail.com if you would like a copy).

3) Establish a new or re-organised Team. As a minimum I need a web-master as my knowledge of such things in minimal and it would be good to keep this forum.

4) Endeavor to reestablish the SOTCW as it was intended to be in the early eighties.

Thoughts please ?

Mark Wheeler
Hello Mark, and may I say thank you for trying to keep the SOTCW alive, (along with the current team), with new proposals...so, he's my two pennies worth:

1) I don't have a problem with you being Membership Coordinator and having a list of the (current) membership.

2) Treasury responsibilities should be undertaken by two members, and not you solely. I'm not sure how it works presently, but I have (currently) no reason to doubt anyone's honesty. (That way no one person can be accused of 'siphoning off funds', and makes the accounting process more accountable).

3) You want to up date/re-launch and edit a 'revised' SOTCW Journal...fine by me.

4) You're willing to issue regular PDF updates...go for it!!

5) You establishing a new team...again, fine by me as long as the present team are happy with that proposal. (As for web master, I think Russ Philips is doing a great job, and I hope he stays on doing it).

So, that's some of my thoughts on how we can progress...if the will is there from other members to do so?

Grant Parkin SOTCW 805
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

magnification

Post by magnification » 04 May 2019, 08:23

Hello Grant,

Thank you for your positive support. Partial answers and observations for you using your numbered points:

1) No issues - thanks

2) Agreed - do you know who is the treasurer today and what level of oversight there is ?

3) and 4) - I have more detailed ideas on this but will post more on this and other aspects (many of which just raised by Phil Gray on the Announcements page) if and when I receive some more supportive posts such as yours.

5) Agreed. I would like to try and keep any transfer of responsibilities non-acrimonious but whatever I say I just seems to upset certain people.

Let's see what happens.

Mark

Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips » 04 May 2019, 08:48

magnification wrote:
04 May 2019, 08:23
2) Agreed - do you know who is the treasurer today and what level of oversight there is ?
I can answer this. I'm the treasurer (as it says on the website). Andrew has the same access to the bank account as I do. Andrew and Phil both have full access to all the online accounts, so can see every transaction.
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing

magnification

Post by magnification » 04 May 2019, 14:20

Thanks Russ - looks like a more robust than the one I ever had!

Have you any thoughts or comments, however general, on my proposal and the debate ?

Mark

granty101

Post by granty101 » 04 May 2019, 15:26

magnification wrote:
04 May 2019, 08:23
Hello Grant,

Thank you for your positive support.
Mark, I will try anything, short of giving a limb, to try and keep the SOTCW afloat.

As for Russ Philips reply to you about the bank account 'arrangements', I'm happy with that current state of play, and see no need to change it at present.

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

Phil_Gray_260

Post by Phil_Gray_260 » 04 May 2019, 16:25

Mark

Thank you again for your offers to "widen" the activities of the Society. The offer you previously made was though, effectively, to dilute the Journal, for which we have always lacked content, by producing a hard copy, text only, 'newsletter' - it is hard to see how this would widen our activities or why it should have any more success than the Journal either then or now.

In ceasing to produce a Journal, but maintaining the Facebook presence, Forum and website, which will in future host such articles as may have otherwise made it into the Journal, we believe that we are acting in accordance with the Society's original aims to promote interest in gaming the period from hobbyists and traders alike.

The Journal was a means to that end, not an end in itself, and as a past editor you, like Mark Bevis, Richard Baber and Pete Jones, know what goes into producing, publishing and distributing it.

Likewise:

SoTCW gatherings were a means to that end.

SoTCW attendances at wargames shows were a means to that end.

SoTCW on Facebook and here are also means to that same end.

As a society our activities have always been dependent on what the members are prepared to actively support:

When members organise gatherings, prepare games for them and travel to them then they happen, When members do not do those things then they do not.

When members are able to produce games for or attend shows in the Society's name then those things too happen, otherwise they do not.

When members contribute to the production of a Journal then it too happens, otherwise it doesn't. For the second time now you have stated that you have content for something like the Journal that it appears you'd prefer not to submit.

We believe that by discontinuing the subscription model, and so the Journal, we are making the best use of the funds available to the Society, while avoiding inviting payents for a future product that we have no expectation will be delivered.

We will continue to support those activities that fit our ends and are supported by our current members.

Regards

Phil

magnification

Post by magnification » 04 May 2019, 17:18

Hello Phil,

Thank you for that summary. Can you confirm, is this your personal view or are you speaking on behalf of the current team ?

I think I was aware of this status, but sometimes it's interesting to have things summarised, albeit in such a condescending way. I am not sure the greater membership base have had it explained like this either, so it maybe helpful to them as well. I don't think it explains why the SOTCW is fading away, and not progressing, however. Perhaps it's the direction that has been taken by the team unilaterally without membership agreement ?

At any rate, at this juncture (the end of a subscription) it would seem a good time to reboot the Society by broadening the offering you have summarised above, if that is what the greater membership base would like. So, I don't really need any more 'this is where we are' input from the current team, but support and advice would be nice. I just need some views (like Grants) on what the paying membership would like. Depending on this input, I will either carry on, or cease and desist.

More input please chaps, I don't mind whether good or bad, but please say something.

Thanks all,

Mark

Kalinovsky

Post by Kalinovsky » 04 May 2019, 17:29

Well this enlightening discussion is sure to result in hundreds of people joining the society. Perhaps you could go back to welcoming any new people to the forum by tagging them as “fuc*ing new guy” as that seemed to work so well before.

magnification

Post by magnification » 04 May 2019, 17:37

Hi Kalinovsky,

Can you expand on this observation please - it sounds like you have a heartfelt and valid view but I am unclear what has caused it. Don't hold back, but please keep it objective. At this point I think we all need clear, honest feedback.

Many thanks,

Mark