End of Subscription 15 - major changes

Announcements about the forum and the SOTCW web site
Russell Phillips

End of Subscription 15 - major changes

Post by Russell Phillips » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:07 am

The following was sent to subscribers on Thursday:
Hi,

When we published Journal 94, we said that we would continue to publish Journals for as long as we had money to print them and content to put in them. We received enough content to publish Journal 95 in July last year, but we still don’t have enough for another Journal.

The team regrets to say that we have therefore decided to end Subscription 15 and to stop publishing Journals. We still welcome articles and reviews, which will be posted on the website as we receive them. Sign up here to get an email notification whenever a new article or review is posted: https://sotcw.co.uk/email

This means that we will no longer have a membership. We shall contact manufacturers to let them know that they no longer need to offer discounts to members.

Andrew, Phil, and Russ
The SOTCW Team
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing

magnification

Re: End of Subscription 15 - major changes

Post by magnification » Wed May 01, 2019 4:45 pm

Andrew, Phil and Russ,

If the current team has now run out of creative steam and effectively abandoned almost all of the original intent of the Society, for what ever very well documented reasons, are you now willing to pass the running of the SOTCW on to a new team ?

Magnification

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Fri May 03, 2019 4:42 pm

I thought you didn't want to be associated with a failed organisation. You previously threw the doll out of the pram at a perceived slight but have no hesitation in insulting the existing team.
If your idea for a new "society" is so well formed and backed ,why are you coming cap in hand here , why haven't you launched it yourself. As a matter of interest why did you leave in the first place. John

magnification

Post by magnification » Fri May 03, 2019 5:39 pm

Hello John,

I do not engage in public forum disagreements of this kind - sparring of this kind is the worst behavior on this, and many other, similar forums, and is a reason why people are put off - nobody wins anyway.

I am happy to talk about the SOTCW future however.

Mark

Phil_Gray_260

Post by Phil_Gray_260 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:02 pm

Mark,

When you choose to post on a public forum, it is reasonable to expect responses on the same forum, and for some responses to be challenging.

I have strong memories of the heady days of the Society in the early 90s, back before the explosion of social media made it possible for special interest groups like ours to exchange ideas and information without the need to print anything. Even then although the headcount of members was expanding, the stubbornly low headcount of contributing members was always a cause for concern to you and I.

I am also very aware of your contribution to the survival of the Society so it gives me no pleasure at all to raise the following issues with you:

As you are not in the Society who are you referring to when you say a new team?

As you have only recently tried to establish a close analogue of the Society, but then declared that it was not feasible based, if i recall correctly, on a lack of content and subscribers, how would the 'new team' overcome that chronic and acute lack of content going forwards?

As a follow on, if you have material that could be included in the Journal, why not just rejoin and submit it?

As you disregarded Society members rights as data subjects by retaining their information the last time you left the Society, what confidence could members have that, if you were involved with a new team, you would not do so again?

Regards
Phil.

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Fri May 03, 2019 11:50 pm

magnification wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:39 pm
Hello John,

I do not engage in public forum disagreements of this kind - sparring of this kind is the worst behavior on this, and many other, similar forums, and is a reason why people are put off - nobody wins anyway.

I am happy to talk about the SOTCW future however.

Mark
Well Mark How very convenient for you. As to behaviour ,given the manner in which you have conducted yourself , you must excuse me if I wont be accepting any lessons from you. I appreciate your former efforts on behalf of the Society ,but I think this has been poorly done ,and does you no credit. I too take no pleasure in this ,far from it. John

magnification

Post by magnification » Sat May 04, 2019 8:11 am

John/Phil,

Please see my post here where I am trying to lay out my position.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=790

Admittedly it only partially answers some of your questions but basically I am proposing to press 'reset' on the SOTCW as it is now and start again; I don't have specific answers to most of your questions I'm afraid.

Mark

Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips » Sun May 05, 2019 9:33 pm

Note: this discussion has mostly moved to this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=790
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing