Over & out

Discuss the society magazine The Journal
dadlamassu

Re: Over & out

Post by dadlamassu » 29 Apr 2019, 16:50

To continue as a "Society" surely we will still need to continue to comply with GDPR and have data protection policies, regularly updated membership lists etc.
https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/gu ... ation-gdpr

hammurabi70

Post by hammurabi70 » 29 Apr 2019, 21:35

Richard B. wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 19:54
Well what is the point of membership without a Journal??
It is true that the Society ofAncients still has a journal. It also does:
:arrow: Battle Day
:arrow: Weekend Conference
:arrow: Competitions and Prizes
:arrow: A forum with very few postings. I am surprised that there are so few on the SOTCW as it was not my impression but data does not lie.

Most organisations I am associated with have gone electronic; very few still do hard copy.

We're trying to keep the society going, albeit in a very different form.
Bravo :!:

If we were to maintain a membership, what would that mean? What would someone need to do in order to be considered a member? What benefits would they get in return?
How about a modest fee that provides:
Access to material behind a firewall :?:
Discounts :?: :!:
.... .

Now my research stays at our club.
Understandable if it is not to be given to the public domain. If it was held electronically behind a firewall accessed by members only as a pseudo-journal website would that be more acceptable?
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips » 30 Apr 2019, 09:08

hammurabi70 wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 21:35
How about a modest fee that provides:
Access to material behind a firewall :?:
That's been suggested before, but frankly, ideas are cheap. People have suggested a paywall before, and there was little appetite for it, and even fewer volunteers. In another thread, you suggested a £10 fee for access to fifty articles. I don't think you realise how hard it is to get fifty articles - it's the equivalent of five Journals (issues 91 to 95 had a total of 51 articles). I have no confidence that we would get them within a reasonable time frame, and I'm not prepared to ask people to give me £10 if I have no confidence that I can deliver what they've paid for. That, after all, is why we've decided to stop producing Journals.

I get that people are sorry to see the Journal go. So am I. But I'm somewhat frustrated at the responses. This didn't come out of the blue. We've been warning for years that we're getting decreasing amounts of content and that the Journal couldn't continue unless something radical changed. Experience has shown that we can't keep going the way we are, so we're making a change. If people write stuff, we will still publish it. We'd got the impression that one reason people didn't write for the Journal is because it could take ages before it appeared in print. This will at least address that issue.
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » 30 Apr 2019, 18:53

Russell Phillips wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 09:08

I get that people are sorry to see the Journal go. So am I. But I'm somewhat frustrated at the responses. This didn't come out of the blue. We've been warning for years that we're getting decreasing amounts of content and that the Journal couldn't continue unless something radical changed. Experience has shown that we can't keep going the way we are, so we're making a change. If people write stuff, we will still publish it. We'd got the impression that one reason people didn't write for the Journal is because it could take ages before it appeared in print. This will at least address that issue.
I screamed and shouted for yrs about submissions, I was ignored by most except the stalwarts :(

The society only has itself to blame :?
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

hammurabi70

Post by hammurabi70 » 30 Apr 2019, 23:08

Russell Phillips wrote:
In another thread, you suggested a £10 fee for access to fifty articles. I don't think you realise how hard it is to get fifty articles - it's the equivalent of five Journals (issues 91 to 95 had a total of 51 articles).
I cherish my ignorance ... . Then let the Society make it £5 for 25 articles although some consideration has to be given to the processing cost of membership.

Russell Phillips wrote:
I get that people are sorry to see the Journal go. So am I.
I am not over-concerned by something that was inevitable. Publishing journals online is very standard now but frequently they are behind a firewall. I am more concerned with the potential loss of the Society.
Russell Phillips wrote:
We'd got the impression that one reason people didn't write for the Journal is because it could take ages before it appeared in print. This will at least address that issue.
So would subscription articles behind a firewall.
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

granty101

Post by granty101 » 01 May 2019, 06:26

hammurabi70 wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 14:16
Thanks to all but I am not sure that ceasing publication of the Journal should mean closing the Society membership, which seems to be the approach made.
Perhaps we should become a secret society like the Ninja's...we could all wear black balaclava's when we attend wargames shows and give each other a special nod or wink, or funny handshake, so we know we are SOTCW!!! (Given his penchant for dressing up, I'm sure CarlL will take this on-board and design a SOTCW 'super hero' type of costume) :lol:

But seriously, I've been in touch with Russ Philips, and I'm happy to keep writing articles for free publication on this forum, (as long as Russ or someone else doesn't mind reformatting and spell checking it!!).

Nothing I write will be earth shatteringly new, or something you can't research yourself. What it ill be (hopefully), is entertaining, thought provoking and leading you, (the forum reader), to maybe try it out as a wargame or a modelling project?

So, as long as there is a SOTCW forum, I'll keep writing bits and pieces, and hopefully I'll try to 'enlighten and entertain' what is left of the membership.

Grant Parkin SOTCW 805
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

Seret

Post by Seret » 01 May 2019, 08:42

Russell Phillips wrote:
In another thread, you suggested a £10 fee for access to fifty articles. I don't think you realise how hard it is to get fifty articles - it's the equivalent of five Journals (issues 91 to 95 had a total of 51 articles).
The Society is sitting on a back catalogue of 95 Journals though right? Getting enough content online from all of that isn't unachievable. Getting permissions would be a bit of a pain, for sure, but that's a one-off ballache. I don't think quantity of content is really the problem. The problem would be having the right content, and advertising that to the wider hobby in a way that made them come and want to join.

Personally I think that what did for The Journal was the fact that it had become quite niche in scope and wasn't advertised at all. That became a vicious cycle, fewer people knew about it, so The Journal simply relied on the same small group of contributors catering to their own interests. Ultimately though it was a victim of changing fashions within the hobby. People certainly still play 20th century games (it's the biggest sector of the hobby in fact) but the way they get information about the hobby has changed. People don't rely on a dead tree flopping through their letter slot every couple of months to stay in touch with the wider hobby now. They're plugged into it all day every day through blogs, social media, podcasts, etc. Having said that plenty of people are publishing long-form reads catering to niche interests, but they're doing so digitally.

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » 01 May 2019, 12:17

i just can`t be arsed to explain what we did and how we did it once again.

We advertised, I personally paid for adverts in MW and Wargames Illustrated, posted on numerous forums and FB pages, sent copies of issues to wargames editors, we set up the original forum and supported improvements in the website and expanded into FB.

We bought subscriptions to pay (non-member) authors for using their stuff and chased/begged articles off rule designers for inclusion.

I personally paid for T-shirt "SOTCW logo" badges to be designed.

We gave up weekends travelling to Sheffield and Brougton to support games days put on by Richard C. & Phil Gray OR Pete Jones and Will Mcnally.

People still didn`t want to contribute or travel to those events.

Once you put The journal on Wargames Vault - you created consumers NOT members, the people weren`t part of a small intermate club to whom they may feel some loyalty and write something for their magazine - they were mostly just paying customers who wanted something for as little as possible (hopefully FREE).
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

granty101

Post by granty101 » 01 May 2019, 13:16

Seret wrote:
01 May 2019, 08:42
People don't rely on a dead tree flopping through their letter slot every couple of months
Well I must disagree slightly with that comment/statement.

At the last Stockton show we attended, CarlL and Mrs. CarlL brought along some back issues of the Journal, and we did have a few 'punters' still interested in buying them. Unfortunately, as we had no means of taking money for sales or potential subscriptions, we didn't sign any one up. There is/was still interest in the SOTCW, so I personally don't think we are as dead as some might suggest. ;)

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 02 May 2019, 09:42

As far as the efforts of those running the society goes , I think every effort was made and indeed above and beyond to keep the Journal running. How Richard stuck with it as long as he did I don't know. His most recent post says it all really.
He wasn't just organising it ,he was writing substantial parts of each issue. I can only imagine he has the major ars@h@le that it has gone west...and rightly so.

The membership let it die ,me included and that's all there is to it,i feel bad for all those that gave substantial time and effort to it.
The question is what now, is there any life left in the Society or are we better calling it a day than see it wither on the vine
amid further recriminations. We can try and move on with the forum ,try to rally support, or at least a meaningful debate ,
I don't want the forum to go , even though its a shadow of its former self I think it could be brought back, can whats left of us concentrate on that,if not then whats the point. I think its worth a go ..collectively.
If there is no will for a collective effort then frankly its fkd.