Operation Hercules - Malta 1942

Discussion around the Second World War.
CarlL

Re: Operation Hercules - Malta 1942

Post by CarlL » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:23 pm

Lovely photos Alan,
And nice bit of modelling too (is it one of yours or simply a photo borrowed to illustrate the camo effect?)
CarlL

CarlL

Post by CarlL » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:26 pm

Andy / Sediment

It is surprising to hear it didnt have the impact on payers that you expected. I would certainly have tried to avoid it !!
Mind 25pdrs do / did have some hitting power.
CarlL

sediment

Post by sediment » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:58 pm

Carl,

It was pretty devastating when it fired, but as long as my 25 lbrs could fire, they had a good chance to pin and a very slim chance to KO. I struck lucky though as any direct hit on the KV-2 would only KO on a double six (on 2d6), but in Battlegroup, a double 1 is an immobilise result (which is what I rolled). Once immobilised, any further direct hits cause a morale test, with a good chance the crew will abandon (don't have the rules in front of me, but I think it's abandoned if the morale test is a 1 or 2 on a d6.

Generally, in Battlegroup, a single powerful vehicle (KV- series, Tiger, Jagdtiger, Sturmtiger, etc) or powerful gun (88mm, 17pdr, 90mm AA gun, etc.) becomes a magnet for any indirect fire support in an effort to keep it pinned. It's quite a good mechanism as it stops the overwhelming effect that a single weapon can have, although of course it isn't all plain sailing as if the weapon remains unpinned, it gets to fire what are pretty devastating weapons systems. In the case of the KV-2, it was rolling 7 d6, hitting on a 3+ - even with troops in hard cover like buildings saving on 4+, it would have been disastrous were it not for the artillery support. The effect of the artillery on the KV was enhanced tactically because the Axis commander left the KV alone to fire into the British held village, while his infantry swept around the flank, which left the KV receiving all of the fire from the 25lbrs.

Alan,

Great scheme, reminds me of the Berlin camo scheme of a later generation in its aim, if not in the final effect. Sadly, Will and I repurposed our North African equipment for this campaign, so they were mainly in desert yellows or Caunter, but it was tempting to try out the stone wall effect on at least one vehicle.

Cheers, Andy

dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:07 pm

CarlL wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:23 pm
Lovely photos Alan,
And nice bit of modelling too (is it one of yours or simply a photo borrowed to illustrate the camo effect?)
CarlL
Way too good for my work - nicked off the internet