Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
Richard B.

Re: What`s on the work bench?

Post by Richard B. » 21 Oct 2018, 08:16

dadlamassu wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 07:15
Richard B. wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 16:11
I have the OOP Battlefield set you posted a while back, I`ll probably add a couple of men to round the crew up.
Thanks, Richard, I thought you might have found a new set.
Unfortunately females are not that easy to find, Irregular do some in their SCW range which you could convert to gunners?
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » 22 Nov 2018, 10:55

another week another list :D

Writing a scenario for the French defense of Faid Pass, Tunisia (Jan `43), based on a wonderful article I came across in the French Artillery Museum journal.

Found I was short of French `75s, but luckily enough I had half a box of Hat WW1 French `75s left so have built them along with the limbers and selected suitable crews.

I got a machine gun cart off EWM and used its horses/tack to create a limber team also

I dug out two suitable horses from the stash and turned the machine cart into a supply cart

Following a fruitless hunt and then discussion (thanks Alan Hamilton :D) I carefully selected and converted 11 various French figures into engineers.
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

CarlL

Post by CarlL » 22 Nov 2018, 20:20

Busy again! Richard. Well done.

Well I have added to my c1912 French forces and to my Berber tirbesmen, having painted up some PictArt Foreign Legion (in traditional long coat) reviewed elsewhere on this site, and added in some B&B Miniatures Foreign Legion in white fatigues, and added in some mounted Spahis from Raventhorpe - while the Berber are a mix of spare canels and riders from several ranges mixed together: Tumbling Dice, Irregular, Newline, Pictart, Early War Miniatures, to name the most recent mix.

I have made a 'medical base' (slightly modified stretcher team) to use as our "Enteric Fever" has struck marker at Battleground - it replaces a hapless diseased unit. I have some casualty markers just finished, over last two weeks, using two plastic Foreign Legion Airfix casualties and two Tumbling Dice French Colonial infantry casualties with dice "boxes" alongside, to record our French losses at Battleground. Only really beed one marker, I got carried away and made 4. Sadly, the recently bought, but not finished French mountain guns, are not ready to deploy! So using fieldgun for this outing.

My "assistant" (Maggy) has been painting up new 2D mountains for our Sotcw participation game at Battleground! A few weeks back I knocked up some boxy passes for same game and these were photographed and noted elsewhere on this site.

We have some Legion de Honneur paper medals to hand out to successful French commandants, and thanks to Russell Phillips, we have some leaflets I copied for handing out, and we have a blurb I prepared, which may make a small or brief Journal article. Just got to pack it all up tonight!

CarlL

dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu » 22 Nov 2018, 21:14

I have exactly the same stuff untouched on the bench as I had in September before mum died. I might get started tomorrow on the late war figures that are destined to be an NSKK detachment and some plastics to convert to sailors. Then there are all those undercoated 28mm plastics for my son and grandson's "Bolt Action" games.

Just no motivation.

CarlL

Post by CarlL » 23 Nov 2018, 00:34

Alan,
sorry to hear about your mum's death, back in September. I hope she had a long and eventful life, and there are lots of good memories to keep you going thru your grieving.

Losing the painting mojo is a recurrent theme in my long enjoyment of painting for painting's sake! usually using my energy up at work or stress at work is the mojo-dowser for me. But I also find it relaxing to paint so when tired I resort to the big brush work that doesnt take too much care or detail. splashing on the primer, or laying on heavy first coats to my horses, or afvs. Sometimes I can enjoy drying brushing large items or many simple items in this mode too, but I have also killed a few figures being too tired to be careful drybrushing!

hope your painting mojo is back with you soon Alan.

take care

CarlL

granty101

Post by granty101 » 23 Nov 2018, 07:09

Richard B. wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 08:16

Unfortunately females are not that easy to find
Well good ones surely aren't!! :o ... :lol:

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu » 23 Nov 2018, 12:43

CarlL wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 00:34
Alan,
sorry to hear about your mum's death, back in September. I hope she had a long and eventful life, and there are lots of good memories to keep you going thru your grieving.
CarlL
Mum fought cancer for 14 years and we have tons of great memories of long summers, home baking, days out, Christmas dinner and lots more. We always had a house full at Christmas and when mum could not do the cooking and setting up. Last year we had 22 at Chrismas buffet (not enough seats and tables for dinner!) We all had a great time. I have a box of presents for the great grandchildren from mum to wrap - she knew the end was coming and fought right to thend.

That last night I sat up with her and listened to every Frank Sinatra LP (album) and CD that mum had. The Marie Curie nurses came in about 8.30am, did mum's hair and got a smile for their trouble. Mum slipped away at 9.34am peacefully with the family round her and her favourite music playing. The very best way to depart.

dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu » 23 Nov 2018, 12:49

CarlL wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 00:34
Losing the painting mojo is a recurrent theme in my long enjoyment of painting for painting's sake! usually using my energy up at work or stress at work is the mojo-dowser for me. But I also find it relaxing to paint so when tired I resort to the big brush work that doesnt take too much care or detail. splashing on the primer, or laying on heavy first coats to my horses, or afvs. Sometimes I can enjoy drying brushing large items or many simple items in this mode too, but I have also killed a few figures being too tired to be careful drybrushing!

hope your painting mojo is back with you soon Alan.

take care

CarlL
I have started that last evening and night (I could not get to sleep) and blocked in about 50 x 28mm Jocks and about 40 x Lansers for our son's & grandsons Bolt Action games. I believe that Black Friday will lead to another boxful arriving! Today I've put some more paint on them and started on the NSKK in 20mm.

CarlL

Post by CarlL » 23 Nov 2018, 18:16

Alan, I see Frank Sinatra will raise a tear or two in your family this and many more Xmas to come!
Happy-sad damp eyes.
A signature tune or two for your mum in such a long singing career.
You will all be bumping into Sinatra the world over, and your mums love of his singing!

CarlL

CarlL

Post by CarlL » 23 Nov 2018, 18:21

Alan,
That's some basic work on painting!
I am with you on the painting as good way to unwind. Sometimes a good book can do same for me!
Our Maggy only has to turn on radio to nod off! Good job she doesn't drive! I use car radio to keep awake!
CarlL