Culture Shock

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
UshCha

Culture Shock

Post by UshCha » 26 Apr 2018, 17:19

I have not been playing 1/144 big battles for a bit, the key players have beed 25mm players. So until recently I had not got my 3D printed 1/144 figures out to put beside "so called 12mm figures". I assumed mine would look OK compared to "real" manufactires figures as mine were as close to scale as the 3D printer could make. I thought mine lacked a little detail. I was in for a horrible culture shock! The commercial models were utter travasties, the legs and Head were obscenly oversized. The "so-called detail" was in of it self stupidly oversized, not supprising minee did not have the detail it is unrealistic at this scale to do it. The similarity is akin be to makeing the legs on a 28mm figure big enough to show the hairs on the legs.

One of the great failures of 1/144 figures has always been that they never looked like the could possibly fit into the 1/144 vehicals. To realise that manufactures could have made much better anatomicaly plausible figures (not anatomicaly correct note, I would allow a bit of variation for maufacture process limitations) and that they chose not too in favore of stupid over detail that would not be tollerated on a vehicele, was a true culture shock. Looks like I may have much more work to do to make plausible figures unless figures maufatures start to take scale modelling seriously like the Model railway folke. I woulder how bad other larger scales are?

granty101

Re: Culture Shock

Post by granty101 » 26 Apr 2018, 20:10

UshCha wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 17:19
Looks like I may have much more work to do to make plausible figures unless figure manufacturers start to take scale modelling seriously like the Model railway folk.
Brian, in (British) model railways, 'OO' gauge engines run on 'HO' gauge track, (basically, 1/76th scale locos run on 1/87th scale tracks...weird I know, but true)...but if you're only talking about figures, then I guess you're on the right tacks...pardon the pun!! :lol:

Can you post some pics of the figures you have 3D printed, just so we can have a look at the details you're talking about?

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

UshCha

Post by UshCha » 26 Apr 2018, 23:13

I have Hammerhead this weekend but will try next week. But the detail is minimal. Oversized as my figures are, with legs going from 1.5mm diameter to 1mm, detail is not practical. Bad figures have minimum diameters of 2 mm, bonkers on a figure roughly 12mm tall. On the anatomical correct figure you are going to see very little, which is the point!

granty101

Post by granty101 » 27 Apr 2018, 05:52

UshCha wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 23:13
I have Hammerhead this weekend but will try next week. But the detail is minimal. Oversized as my figures are, with legs going from 1.5mm diameter to 1mm, detail is not practical. Bad figures have minimum diameters of 2 mm, bonkers on a figure roughly 12mm tall. On the anatomical correct figure you are going to see very little, which is the point!
Brian, working in small scales means you will have to compromise. You will/should be able to 3D print an anatomically correct figure, but will it be strong enough to hold up to rigorous handling during a game?? (Are you basing figures singularly or in groups??)

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

UshCha

Post by UshCha » 27 Apr 2018, 07:21

I have so far I have done a carl Gustav Team and a Milan team, plus 1 single standing Rifleman. I have not broken one in handeling or dropping (done several tomes accidentaly). This is proably becuase thet weigh almost nothing and the integral base is only 0,6mm thick, Extensive experoence with prone figures is that these that the base thickness is not an issue.

UshCha

Post by UshCha » 10 May 2018, 08:04

This is the comparison, Circus Freaks vs Real. The one on the left is a "12" mm model of a milan. The tube is 2mm in dameter, worthy of a demolition mortar on a Churchill. Frankly is barmy and very poor, and dont get me started on the rifle! On the left is a much closeralmost anatomicaly correct model. It takes up much less table space and looks semsible next to the vehicles. The figures are Milan holder 5ft 8" and observer 5 ft, I wanted to show real extreems. I could add backpacks but looking round it would only add about 0.5 mm to the torso and some are very nearly gonformal so little to see.

It's very clear manmufactures have beed VERY poor in adhering to scale. Clerly to get credible figures 3D printing may be the obnly way to go.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56805875@ ... ted-public

Dice Rustler

Post by Dice Rustler » 10 May 2018, 15:57

Sorry to disagree, but the model on the left (the larger one, yes?) looks perfectly adequate for this scale. It may not be completely accurate size-wise, but to my mind it does capture the look of the weapon when deployed. Provided the distortion has no implications for the rules you use I can't see a problem with it. It's certainly better than anything I could have sculpted. I use 1:200 scale (10mm to me) for WW2 gaming and there is always a issue with the figures, mainly because I put them on a base which adds to their height, to the point where they can tower over some of the vehicles. But I don't care, they are only models! I could base my vehicles as well but I have never favoured that approach.

Bernard

UshCha

Post by UshCha » 10 May 2018, 16:05

So you prefer circus freaks that could not possibly get in there assigned vehicles and how on earth you shoe a full Hanomage with such figures, or even the driver of a jeep escapes me! Clearly we must agree to disagree. Why not use 15mm figures and have done with it is scale is of no consequence? :-).

Dice Rustler

Post by Dice Rustler » 10 May 2018, 16:27

Clearly we do disagree on what we consider important.

Bernard

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 10 May 2018, 16:42

I think that you will find most "circus freaks" as part of their skill set could actually get in to their assigned vehicles regardless of size :D :D :D