You are not logged in.

#1 06-Apr-2017 16:17:08

hammurabi70
Major

For American members only?

http://www.ww2conference.com/splash/

This might be of interest to someone; anybody been to any of these and can comment on them?

If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

#2 06-Apr-2017 23:54:43

David Reasoner
Warrant Officer

Re: For American members only?

No, unfortunately I haven't been to the seminars or to the museum itself for that matter.

David

#3 09-Apr-2017 12:09:57

hammurabi70
Major

David Reasoner wrote:

No, unfortunately I haven't been to the seminars or to the museum itself for that matter.

David

What are the key military museums in the USA?  I expect to be in North Carolina later this year.

#4 09-Apr-2017 14:42:52

David Reasoner
Warrant Officer

hammurabi70 wrote:

What are the key military museums in the USA?  I expect to be in North Carolina later this year.

I'm probably not the best one to answer that question, as I have never been in a position to travel very much.  Although as it happens my wife used to live in Wilmington, NC, and during our honeymoon many years ago we visited the battleship USS North Carolina in Wilmington and the nearby ACW historic site of Fort Fisher.

http://www.battleshipnc.com/

http://www.nchistoricsites.org/fisher/fisher.htm

Closer to my home is the very large and impressive USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio.  I have visited several times over the years, but not since their last major expansion.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/ … ibits.aspx

I also used to be a regular visitor to the Patton Museum at Fort Knox here in Kentucky.  However, when the Armor School relocated to Fort Benning in Georgia several years ago, they took about 90% of the museum's display AFV's and guns with them as these had always been property of the Armor School.

David

#5 21-Jun-2017 04:34:19

Chuckaroobob
Sergeant

In addition to the sights listed above, there is an Airborne museum on Fort Bragg in Fayetteville, NC.  Just across the border in Danville Virginia there is the American Armor Museum, a private collection with all sorts of uniforms, small arms, and (naturally) tanks.  They even have a Pz 4 from Syria. (Still doesn't compare to Bovington, though.) Once a year they have a big event when they crank up some MG's, mortars, an M60 tank and two flamethrowers.  There are a handful of aviation museums scattered around with planes like B-25's, P-51's, etc.

There are also re-enactments occasionally, the one for Guildford Courthouse (AWI) is in March every year. Most events are ACW.

#6 21-Jun-2017 20:52:49

hammurabi70
Major

Thanks.  Did USS North Carolina in 2015; really enjoyed that but missed out on Fort Fisher as I did not know about that then.  Will remember Fort Bragg in Fayetteville as I hope to get to USS Yorktown this time so it would be just off the main road when we travel down to Charleston.  Bovington is a bit closer and cheaper; haven't been for 20 years so a good reminder.  It had changed a lot then as I had previously only been there about 30 years before that!

#7 03-Oct-2017 19:55:08

hammurabi70
Major

Did USS Yorktown and I recommend a visit to Patriot's Point: lots to do and see.  Fort Bragg museums (two) are on the base so you have to document your identity, your car insurance and general suitability to get on the base; we declined the effort. Fayetteville museum is well done and worth a visit but not worth going out of your way for as it just has some very good static displays and narrative panels.  Missed the rest due to the storm-related fuel crisis; next time perhaps.

Board footer