There are three broad factors contributing to this decision
- A number of personal factors for the office holders reducing their time available
- Our sense that the Society has run its course and appears to be largely moribund on all its fronts
- A precipitate fall in enthusiasm for undertaking the duties of the offices as a consequence of the first two factors
The consequences of this announcement for the Society are one of two options
- Some person or persons step forward to take on the duties associated with the offices. Such a new committee would decide for themselves the future direction of the Society with regard to articles, editing, posting etc. Specifically however the ownership/moderation/maintenance of the Facebook site, this Forum and the Website would transfer to them along with the remaining Society funds (around £700) and the holding of the Society’s bank account. The website is currently hosted by Russ' company, at a charge of £90 pa, and this could continue or the new committee could find a new host. Russ is not willing to continue hosting the forum, which he has been doing for free, so alternative hosting would need to be found (there are options).
- Nobody wishes to take this on and we agree that the Society be wrapped up. In such a case the Website and Forum would fold. The Facebook page could continue. The remaining funds would be given to charity (our current proposal is a fifty/fifty split between the British Legion and Combat Stress) and future earnings from existing SOTCW publications would be diverted directly to one or both of those charities if that can be set up to happen automatically (we believe that this may be possible, if not the material will be withdrawn from sale). We would arrange to close the Society’s bank account.
We will leave this post open for comments/volunteers but, if we have no volunteers within four weeks of posting, we will start to action the second option above.
Russ, Phil, Andrew