Committee Standing Down

Announcements about the forum and the SOTCW web site
Russell Phillips

Committee Standing Down

Post by Russell Phillips »

Russ (Treasurer), Andrew (Acting Editor) and Phil (Secretary), the current Committee, hereby announce that they collectively wish to stand down from their duties.

There are three broad factors contributing to this decision
  • A number of personal factors for the office holders reducing their time available
  • Our sense that the Society has run its course and appears to be largely moribund on all its fronts
  • A precipitate fall in enthusiasm for undertaking the duties of the offices as a consequence of the first two factors
In short, whilst the club was active, doing stuff was not the irritant/chore which it has become over the past year or two. We no longer feel we can add any value to the Society.

The consequences of this announcement for the Society are one of two options
  1. Some person or persons step forward to take on the duties associated with the offices. Such a new committee would decide for themselves the future direction of the Society with regard to articles, editing, posting etc. Specifically however the ownership/moderation/maintenance of the Facebook site, this Forum and the Website would transfer to them along with the remaining Society funds (around £700) and the holding of the Society’s bank account. The website is currently hosted by Russ' company, at a charge of £90 pa, and this could continue or the new committee could find a new host. Russ is not willing to continue hosting the forum, which he has been doing for free, so alternative hosting would need to be found (there are options).
  2. Nobody wishes to take this on and we agree that the Society be wrapped up. In such a case the Website and Forum would fold. The Facebook page could continue. The remaining funds would be given to charity (our current proposal is a fifty/fifty split between the British Legion and Combat Stress) and future earnings from existing SOTCW publications would be diverted directly to one or both of those charities if that can be set up to happen automatically (we believe that this may be possible, if not the material will be withdrawn from sale). We would arrange to close the Society’s bank account.
We recognise that it is sad to have come to this but the writing has been on the wall for a long time.

We will leave this post open for comments/volunteers but, if we have no volunteers within four weeks of posting, we will start to action the second option above.

Thanks

Russ, Phil, Andrew
Russell Phillips
Military history author and SOTCW Treasurer
Richard B.

Re: Committee Standing Down

Post by Richard B. »

I`d like to thank the guys for doing all they have done - thank you.
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Russ, Andrew, Phil,
While I concur with Richard's praise around your SOTCW web / forum developments and the high production levels achieved in the last few Journal subscriptions, I differ from Richard's view, following the point of the Journal folding and subscriptions ending, (see below) although I have tried to recognise and acknowledge Russ's work, and ongoing efforts in maintaining the websites. (I am not a facebook user wherever possible so I cant comment on that media.)
I am not sure I have ever seen a SOTCW constitution, to guide actions, for example as volunteers then Russ, Andrew and Phil can all step down, but can they then decide how to spend remaining cash or make further decisions? (OK, Russ can regard no longer freely / or otherwise hosting the forum, the one active and surviving aspect of SOTCW.)
Thus volunteering when we have no official membership or constitution seems dubious, if possibly noble attempt to persist the life of SOTCW.
I am VERY tempted to volunteer.
But I am not sure what I would be volunteering to do.
As we don's have a Journal we don't need a new editor; and as we are not raising funds only maintaining what's left, do we need a treasurer (although we need to honour any bills / debt... I saw the £90 pa for hosting SOTCW website, but are there others? Are we maintaining a list of former members? Do we have their consent to do so? So I am not quite sure if Secretary is needed either. So what role are we volunteering to do ....?
The bottom line would appear to be volunteer and try to do something.
I don't have Russ's savvy with websites, so volunteering without such savvy seems hopeless as the two bits of SOTCW still open and so open to be saved, are THIS FORUM (not limited to past members) and the SOTCW website.
Advice from those not stepping down, on where to go, and from Russ on Website / Forum and how to maintain them. I haven't yet followed the link Russ provided on Forum alternatives.
CarlL
Russell Phillips

CarlL wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 18:16 I am not sure I have ever seen a SOTCW constitution, to guide actions
As far as I know, the SOTCW has never had a constitution.
CarlL wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 18:16 But I am not sure what I would be volunteering to do.
As we don's have a Journal we don't need a new editor; and as we are not raising funds only maintaining what's left, do we need a treasurer (although we need to honour any bills / debt... I saw the £90 pa for hosting SOTCW website, but are there others?
If articles and reviews are to be posted to the website, someone needs to edit them. Similarly, someone has to keep track of the money. Website hosting is the primary cost. Very occasionally, we sell a paper Journal on Ebay and have to pay postage, but that's a much smaller cost and infrequent.
CarlL wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 18:16 Are we maintaining a list of former members?
No
CarlL wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 18:16 So I am not quite sure if Secretary is needed either. So what role are we volunteering to do ....?
Ultimately, anyone volunteering will have the power to decide how to go forward. They won't have to keep the same titles, they could make up new ones. Have a secretary or don't, it's up to them. Have a single person do everything, have a team of ten, it's up to whoever takes over.
CarlL wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 18:16 I don't have Russ's savvy with websites, so volunteering without such savvy seems hopeless as the two bits of SOTCW still open and so open to be saved, are THIS FORUM (not limited to past members) and the SOTCW website.
Advice from those not stepping down, on where to go, and from Russ on Website / Forum and how to maintain them. I haven't yet followed the link Russ provided on Forum alternatives.
My business hosts WordPress websites, so I host the SOTCW under the auspices of the business and invoice the SOTCW in the same way that I do it for other clients. The business doesn't host phpBB forums, though, which means that I've been hosting the forum for free, and it takes up rather more time. The page I linked to has details of some companies that do host this type of forum.

You wouldn't necessarily need a lot of techie skills to take over the website and forum. You could pay a host and they will do most of the technical stuff. You would need time to deal with spammers and other bad actors. The website could continue to by hosted by my company, or it could be moved to a new hosting company.
Russell Phillips
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

I would be happy for Russ` company to keep hosting the website and the society funds pay his company for that annually.

But how would any volunteer add/edit the site?

Our hotel site was very easy to edit/post new material - basically like using Word or blogger.........

As Russ had already said the FB page runs itself and costs nothing to maintain (I think?) I already act as an admin there.

The forum is a different animal, i have no expierance with these except as admin (which takes no effort), Over on the Wargamers Forum (started by the late John Dowman), they have a whip-round every year or so to pay hosting fees - the society (as i understand it) has £700 so couldn`t this be held to pay Russ for the website and also used to host/pay for the forum up-keep until used up rather than given away to charity?? The monies as i see it are the societies to use for the society, it would seem counter productive to give this away then try and fund the online presence - assuming we all want to keep any of course.......

Just spit-balling here :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
Russell Phillips

Richard B. wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 11:03 But how would any volunteer add/edit the site?

Our hotel site was very easy to edit/post new material - basically like using Word or blogger.........
The website runs on WordPress. So the new volunteer would have a login, and would be able to add articles, update existing ones, etc. I'm not familiar with Blogger, so I don't know how similar the interface is, but the concept is the same.
Richard B. wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 11:03 The forum is a different animal, i have no expierance with these except as admin (which takes no effort), Over on the Wargamers Forum (started by the late John Dowman), they have a whip-round every year or so to pay hosting fees - the society (as i understand it) has £700 so couldn`t this be held to pay Russ for the website and also used to host/pay for the forum up-keep until used up rather than given away to charity?? The monies as i see it are the societies to use for the society, it would seem counter productive to give this away then try and fund the online presence - assuming we all want to keep any of course.......
One option we discussed was that the society could pay me £700 now as an advance payment for several years' hosting, but I vetoed offering that as an option.

But more importantly, I'm not prepared to keep hosting the forum. The website fits in nicely with the procedures we have in the business, but the forum doesn't. Every time there's an update I have to re-learn how to update it, and do everything manually. There are companies that will do that, though, which I linked to in the first post.
Russell Phillips
magnification

Post by magnification »

I am willing to pick up the running of the SOTCW again.

Mark Wheeler
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Nice one Mark.
CarlL
magnification

Post by magnification »

I have sent the following e mail out this morning to various contacts and friends I have in the hobby:

If you still follow the old SOTCW web site/forum you will have seen that the present team are proposing to stand down within the next month.

The purpose of this email is to garner interest in the SOTCW moving back to my stewardship, and then progressing more along the lines originally intended at its inception. I don't have a specific proposal yet, but I would appreciate it if you would drop a quick note back if you would like me to keep you informed of developments. General comments and observations are welcome.

Please forward this note to anyone in your hobby circle who you think might be interested.

I guess next steps is to hear the views from the present team.

Regards,

Mark Wheeler
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

magnification wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 09:05 I have sent the following e mail out this morning to various contacts and friends I have in the hobby:

If you still follow the old SOTCW web site/forum you will have seen that the present team are proposing to stand down within the next month.

The purpose of this email is to garner interest in the SOTCW moving back to my stewardship, and then progressing more along the lines originally intended at its inception. I don't have a specific proposal yet, but I would appreciate it if you would drop a quick note back if you would like me to keep you informed of developments. General comments and observations are welcome.

Please forward this note to anyone in your hobby circle who you think might be interested.

I guess next steps is to hear the views from the present team.

Regards,

Mark Wheeler
Will you be keeping any sort on online presence?