New article on the website: Experimental Infantry Brigade 1934 to 1936

Announcements about the forum and the SOTCW web site
Kalinovsky

New article on the website: Experimental Infantry Brigade 1934 to 1936

Post by Kalinovsky »

An article I have written about the role of the 1st Battalion of the Durham Light Infantry as an Experimental Machine Gun Battalion within the Experimental Infantry Brigade 1934-1936 has been published on the Society’s website:

https://sotcw.co.uk/category/articles/ ... -articles/

This role is not well known and in fact I came across some assertions that the DLI never actually converted in this way. There is ample evidence now that they did. Also the story of the Experimental Infantry Brigade itself is not widely known, certainly less so than that of the Experimental Mechanised Force and its successor, the Experimental Armoured Force.

It was a very interesting topic to explore and while I can’t guarantee it will be as interesting to read, I hope it will also have something for those interested in the infantry formations and organisation used by the BEF and by the Western Desert Force in 1940, and how these concepts had been influenced by experience with the Experimental Brigade, which was commanded by Jumbo Wilson, and was the British Army’s first fully Mechanised Infantry Brigade.

Among the innovations introduced by it were the concentration of all the Brigade’s Vickers guns in the MG Battalion and the introduction of the Z.B.G., the precursor of the Bren Gun, in the Rifle Battalions. The Brigade was commanded by Jumbo Wilson.

In addition to the illustrations provided with the article on the website the Durham County Records Office has a considerable number of photographs of the Battalion at this time. These include company and battalion parades, illustrating for example the types of vehicles used. Watermarked thumbnails can be found through searching the County Records Office catalogue using Blackdown as the search term:

http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/a ... agesOnly=Y

The cost of licensing some of the images themselves for reproduction on the website has been too much to allow this but you can get a good sense of them by using the link above.

If there is interest in further interwar material I may write something on my namesake the Kalinovsky Brigade, the Soviet Union’s own Experimental Armoured Formation.
ianrs54

Re: New article on the website: Experimental Infantry Brigade 1934 to 1936

Post by ianrs54 »

Read it yesterday, good stuff ! :D
Any thing bigger than 6 is TOO BIG
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Excellent, really interesting :)
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
Kalinovsky

Post by Kalinovsky »

For those who may be interested in British Army interwar experiments with the Experimental Mechanised and Experimental Armoured Forces, you might like to know that the “Purple Primers” Mechanised and Armoured Formations 1929 and Modern Formations 1931 are now both available in print on demand from Lulu.

For many years it has been almost impossible to find these two texts. My copies have arrived today and though I don’t know when I will have the time to read them I am looking forward to it very much.
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Nice one Kalinovsky!
CarlL
ianrs54

Post by ianrs54 »

Good one
Any thing bigger than 6 is TOO BIG