le Groupe Special d`artillerie du 63rd RAA - GSAM

A place for your pictures and tips
Richard B.

le Groupe Special d`artillerie du 63rd RAA - GSAM

Post by Richard B. » 20 May 2019, 10:31

Now I like to build unusual French kit and after seeing these images, I have wanted to build one for ages.
Built secretly in workshops in Fez and concealed from the armistice commission, the French mounted 75mle1897 guns onto a variety of trucks. The ones pictured were built on Fargo 1.5 tonners, The batteries were called Groupe Special d`Artillerie du Maroc (GSAM)

They were deployed briefly against the Americans after the Torch landings and later transported by rail and road across to Tunisia to face the Germans and Italians serving with 63rd Regiment Artillerie d`Afrique

full WIP over on my blog - http://baberonwargames.blogspot.com/201 ... gress.html

The gun shield is quite right, but I can live with that, I may swap out the crew for nicer metal figures later
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

bannockburn bhoy

Re: le Groupe Special d`artillerie du 63rd RAA - GSAM

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 20 May 2019, 16:35

They are excellent Richard ,had a look on yer blog ,thats a lot of work,well done mate . :D :D
My only criticism...yet again , less of the self deprecation please ;) cheers John

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » 20 May 2019, 16:43

Not feeling at my best at the mo :oops:

Enjoyed the challenge of these, have a couple of other interesting French bits on the go now.

Thanks Jon, comments much appreciated :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

CarlL

Post by CarlL » 20 May 2019, 18:24

Richard,

You may not win scale modeller of the year but John is right, these are examples of really good DIY conversions.

The finished product are really good models.

Given the photo shows a cab, I wasnt sure why the cab had to go? Wrong shape?

CarlL

PS to other forum users, follow the link above. its a really good example of the sort of modeling article that should be part of our deceased Journal.

PPS "WIP" ?? Whats that?
(Be careful Granty, we may have young, impressionable viewers, and sensitive old farts like me!)

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » 20 May 2019, 18:30

CarlL wrote:
20 May 2019, 18:24
Richard,

You may not win scale modeller of the year but John is right, these are examples of really good DIY conversions.

The finished product are really good models.

Given the photo shows a cab, I wasnt sure why the cab had to go? Wrong shape?

Carl

PS to other forum users, follow the link above. its a really good example of the sort of modeling article that should be part of our deceased Journal.

PPS "WIP" ?? Whats that?
(Be careful Granty, we may have young, impressionable viewers, and sensitive old farts like me!)
They found the gun at full recoil would smash into the cab, so cropped it :)

I was lucky enough to find an article in the French Artillery Museum`s magazine "Artillerie" with full plans and based my efforts on those plans.

WIP = work in progress :D but I`m sure you knew this :lol:

CarlL

Post by CarlL » 20 May 2019, 18:35

Brill point! The power of Recoil !! Luv it.

So some of these photographed cabs may not have survived their initial test shot!

Great research. Get my vote for inspiring wargame modeller of the year!

CarlL

PS dont tell Shaun, dont want him to give up on his brill model making!

cartfc

Post by cartfc » 20 May 2019, 20:30

Lovely work Richard. You have the most varied Wargames armies of anyone I know.

Cheers Fred.

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » 20 May 2019, 21:06

cartfc wrote:
20 May 2019, 20:30
Lovely work Richard. You have the most varied Wargames armies of anyone I know.

Cheers Fred.
I like odd and the Fench, Spanish and Mexicans give me plenty of scope :D

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » 23 May 2019, 10:11

Found a photo of a gun without a cab :)