modelling / conversion help please

A place for your pictures and tips
CarlL

modelling / conversion help please

Post by CarlL » 14 May 2019, 19:30

OK guys, it's a plea to pool your brainpower and best conversion tips! To help me.

(God knows why I give the beast from the north east so many openings but thats a different problem ! I am digressing, Granty, so back to my plea!)

Just finishing two 'units' (dont ask what level, eg platoon, company, battalion, its just a simple game at my end!) of Kings African Rifles for my Somalia 1920s game; using Frontline 20mm figures. And I decided to add a colour party as my KAR command piece. So I thought no problem, just convert two marching figures (whom I didnt buy - bought all shooting figures and couple of officers and two MGs with knelling crew) and remove rifles and insert standard pole; and add officers. Wrong. Colour party holding Colours in right hand, infantry marching with rifle shouldered on left side. Scoured the Frontline Miniatures range for suitable figure to convert but dont see one other than trying to chop off officer left arm and add new one with standard from milliput.

Some photos below of real colour party (may not be Somalia period) and the figures I was contemplating using for conversion, photos from various sources on internet and Frontline respectively. (Apologies to Frontline for not seeking consent to share.)

Any advice welcomed! (Well only if its not rude!)

CarlL

COLOUR PARTY IMAGES - including one of Britains figures interpretation, (coz its kool - unlike my street cred)

FRONTLINE FIGURES

PS Next I need to find some suitable images of their colours circa 1920s in colour like these later ones, below, or adapt some Napoleonic types or paint my own!

Richard B.

Re: modelling / conversion help please

Post by Richard B. » 14 May 2019, 20:39

How about this arm from Tumbling Dice?

Sorry about the photo :(

I can send you a few gratis if you want them as i have spares :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu » 14 May 2019, 20:43

By the 1890s Regimental colours were not carried into action. However, it was not unknown for the Union Flag to be carried into action as late as the Falklands, Kuwait and Iraq 2003.

So I would use either the marching figure or COL6 carrying the Union Flag in whechever arm suits you

ianrs54

Post by ianrs54 » 15 May 2019, 07:03

Colours not used in action since 1890 ? Talk to the drop shorts, whose motto translated means all over the place.

IanS
Any thing bigger than 6 is TOO BIG

CarlL

Post by CarlL » 15 May 2019, 23:13

Thank you for all your replies!
And the inspiring photo from Alan! And the kind offer from Richard of an arm and lance which would make a good standard pole and replacement! (One I had not thought of so good to pool ideas!) I think I have some similar lance arms from Polish cavalry c1930s whom I gave swords too! So hang fire on the posting Richard, I may have some in my left over Polish project! Just need to find them!
CarlL

granty101

Post by granty101 » 16 May 2019, 05:27

Carl,

Now this might sound weird, but I'm going to be sensible for once!! :o

Have you thought about using a lancer figure, cut in half, with upper torso mated to legs, (from another standing figure), with a pith helmet head swop??

The 'lance' could be converted into your flagstaff, (with a downloaded or homemade flag attached), so you'd end up with something that might resemble the type of figure you're after? ;)

So basically, find a figure like this lancer;

Then mate his upper torso to a suitable 1920's soldiers lower torso, with a pith helmet head swop...something like this soldier;

And you might get something (hopefully near) to what you're looking to make/model/achieve.

What suitable figures are out there and available for conversion, I don't know, so maybe a bit more research is needed on your part.

Hope this helps?

Grant

P.S. And not a wee wee take mentioned once by me!!! :lol:
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 16 May 2019, 16:25

There you go Carl from Grant Victor Frankenstein :D

CarlL

Post by CarlL » 16 May 2019, 19:45

Blimey... modeller Grant reminding me of 'basic' but clever conversion ideas! ;)

And I may do just that Grant.
(He's not just a stand up pest, sorry stand up comic....) :)

Mind I dont think I ever called Granty a Frankenstein!! (That Bannockburn Bhoy can be fun too, sorry I meant pest too....... ) ;)

Now Grant you and Richard B., both like a bit of figure / model surgery... and both have clever ideas that don't need a brain surgeon's skill to operate.
I like that.
Mind I am not that good at tree surgery, never mind figure surgery, from the mess I made of our giant birch.... (But dont tell Maggy...) :(

Thank you once more. This is why we should keep the Forum.
And try to resurrect the Journal.

CarlL aka Dr Moreau in 20mm scale......

granty101

Post by granty101 » 19 May 2019, 05:04

CarlL wrote:
16 May 2019, 19:45

CarlL aka Dr Moreau in 20mm scale......
So you do have a holiday home on a hidden island :lol:

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

CarlL

Post by CarlL » 19 May 2019, 22:03

I should be so lucky!
If I win the pools maybe!
Granty would of course get an invite! As would many others from our forum, as a gamer or modeller, its not fun without some banter or old fashioned company across games table.
Well back to reality, and a life as a solo gamer on our big British island....
CarlL who must get out more...