Panther A Warlord 1/56.

A place for your pictures and tips
cartfc

Panther A Warlord 1/56.

Post by cartfc » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:33 pm

Had a few hours and did this Warlord Panther. Decided to do without side skirts so removed the lugs the pins fit into and filled the hole with plasticard and filler. Painting, base coat Army Painter desert yellow spray, dry brushed skeleton bone. Olivgrün and rotbraun applied with sponge. I used the sponge foam from blister packs. Army painter soft tone wash to tie in the camo scheme. Track done in Mig track wash then dry brushed GW Bolt Gun metal. Details painted with black undercoat, bolt gun metal/natural wood. Pin wash and streaked grime with GW Nunn Oil. Tracks dirtied up with dark earth sponged on. Finish is good wargame/semi pro finish and I am happy with it.

Cheers Fred.

CarlL

Re: Panther A Warlord 1/56.

Post by CarlL » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:17 pm

Its a lovely model and a great finish Fred.
Not tried sponge on small models but may give it a go seeing your work.
Was it ink or acrylic paint you used with your sponge work? or other?
CarlL

cartfc

Post by cartfc » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:03 pm

It was acrylic paint. Mostly the Army Painter range which are widely available, reasonably priced and give good coverage. Only solvent based product was the Mig track wash, which is great and gives a rusty look that needs steel dry brushed over it as the 2 things I hate are solid rust tracks and tanks where the whole lower hull is caked in mud. Still needs a final dry brush and varnish.

Cheers Fred.

panzerman47

Post by panzerman47 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:36 pm

Looks most excellent to me.... 8-)

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:53 am

Very nice, love the camouflage pattern :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

Seret

Post by Seret » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:10 pm

Lovely paint work.

If I could make one tiny suggestion: have you tried using Micro Sol on your decals? It partially melts it, and in your case would get the transfer down into the zimmerit and get the "painted on" look. It'll also reduce the "silvering" effect. I highly recommend it. These are some turret numbers on the exact same kit given a dose of Micro Sol:

All up though, nice model. The Panther has a real presence on the table in that scale!

cartfc

Post by cartfc » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:55 pm

Unfortunately I have run out of Micro Sol otherwise would have used it. It doesn’t look so bad now the final coat of varnish is on. I plan to get some more. I have let my paint stock run down quite a bit. Once I am stocked up will get the airbrush out and get some more done. This was just a quick build as I had some free time and fancied doing some modelling. For a quick build quite pleased with how it turned out.

Cheers Fred.

Seret

Post by Seret » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:43 am

Ah, sounds like you're wise to the way of Micro Sol already then! Love that stuff.

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:22 pm

Fred for a quick project that's a very nice bit of kit, over weathered and buckets of mud are a pet hate of mine also. :D thanks for posting . cheers John

Micro Sol ,its new to me ,but looks the part , I must get some of that . ;)

cartfc

Post by cartfc » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:09 pm

Have seen a lot of otherwise good models where it looks as if the bottom half of the hull has just been dipped in mud. Mud is deposited in a distinct pattern where it is thrown by the tracks. A tank with that much mud on has been bogged down and just pulled out.
My 3rd pet hate is commander half out the turret in that “here I am shoot me” look. I generally cut commanders down to head out or occasionally head/shoulders.

Cheers Fred.