generic northern China buildings including latrine

A place for your pictures and tips
bannockburn bhoy

Re: generic northern China buildings including latrine

Post by bannockburn bhoy »

Hi CarlL i dont know why ..dotage probably but i only saw the article on Chinese roof tiles , which i have to say if you were seeking info on them ,is possibly one of the most details descriptions your likely to find.
Just saw your Town and that is just absolutely superb Carl , been threatening to do a Hue like effort myself ,but have always baulked at it because of the difficulty ,so well done you, it looks great. I saw some East Asian buildings on another site but they were not easy to come by and were seriously overpriced. Glad to see you are all well and soldiering on.. cheers John
bannockburn bhoy

what are you thinking on playing on that Carl , your figures are going to have to be good to match it methinks :D

cheers John
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

John
Thanks for the comments.

I had seen some modular buildings and courtyards by Oshiro (see https://www.oshiromodelterrain.co.uk/ ) and on that designers own website (eg
https://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/2017 ... -base.html ) and thought they are great but (1) not cheap to create a village or town (2) lets have a go myself! (not that I can match his skills).

I have got 15mm Russo-Japanese War figures and 15mm Chinese warlord figures; and 20mm Colonials / Boxers for 1900 and 20mm post WW1 / Revolutionary Wars [eg Red and White Russians, Brits and Imperial allies (Indian Army of Raj mainly) and Basmachi and Muslim troops for the now former USSR "stans" from Azerbajan eastwards, and some Turks - inspired by the Hopkins books and the late WW1 & 1920s Turkish attempt to stir up confederacy of fellow Muslims from Caspian sea to China (and what we now call the province of Gansu)].

So I wanted to create some generic scenery that could be used for:
1. town / urban setting for street fighting actions (eg over possession of the "Governor's" courtyard complex) - roughly the buildings and walls in middle of table (but this set up was just to see what I had got and how much table I could fill which was about 6x4 feet of my 8x4 feet table);
2. walled villages for more rural actions set anywhere in last 300 years in northern China!! so from colonial interventions to Chinese-Japanese wars to Russo-Japanese war in Manchuria. (And many of my buildings could even be used for my feudal and ancient 25mm and 15mm Chinese!)
3. some smaller buildings which could stand alone to represent a a village or small urban area in bigger scale games (not figure size wise but where I may use a base of my 15mm or 20mm infantry to represent a platoon or even a company!). The river and canal would be useful then too with their bridges; (I am yet to add a railway and railway bridge! but have the pieces to do that when I get my terrain mojo building back, just simple embankment topped by second hand HO/OO railway model tracks).

Well these are the plans!
CarlL
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

PS
John
My painting standard is rather bog standard wargamers stuff (there are images on this website of various projects like Rif) but I like to paint (and I find it quite relaxing and helped me de-stress in days before I retired from work in 2019). I also like to do figure conversions now I have more time. (Had not done much of this since being teenager and avid reader of Airfix magazine in late 1960s and early 1970s!!)
CarlL
bannockburn bhoy

That town is just superb Carl :D . As to your figure painting , it is whatever you take out of it. What you put into it depends on what your looking for. For myself ,like you , figure painting chills me out , and by my own admission im much more of a collector than i am a wargamer. :roll:
I until very recently painted most of my stuff to Connoisseur level , in some cases spending preposterous amounts of time doing it , ironically enough i now cant see them , when their on the table , cause my eyesight is shot to shit. :lol:
The aesthetics side of the hobby , i thought , was really important , and i used to be a bit critical of some of the stuff people would put on the table. The hobby is a broad church , and i now realise and appreciate ,that the actual wargaming aspect is more important to some people , and fair play to them.
When i get my head round how to go about it , i will get some of my stuff on here , i have never shown it anywhere , i would be interested in what people think. Its good to be back posting. ( i will try to be on my best behaviour (Russell) ;)
cheers and all the very best , be safe troops , John
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

John

I forgot to say there are some photos of my recent Chinese 20mm troops at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1345 in my post of 24th May after my images of real latrines past and not so past!!

CarlL
bannockburn bhoy

I've seen some shit houses in my time Carl...but that wins it. :lol:

Where do you sources your Styrofoam from. Cheers. John
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

John,

I think this is website where I bought my grey styrofoam.
https://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Item/Styro ... et/ITM7958 WRONG LINK see below!!

I got a pack (I think) of ten A4 pieces about 5mm thick. Mine has made a lot of scenery, not just these Chinese buildings and walls but some earlier pieces I did too (for north Africa and middle east).
They make great walls / buildings. Easy to cut with sharp knife. With a scalpel point you can cut curves too. you can mark it with likes of lead pencil point to create indent so you can make a reasonably good impression of a dry stone wall or mortar line of brick wall by impression of pencil. Sharp knife cuts out windows too. Dont be afraid to cut across corners for likes of a window or doorway, as this helps you just pop out the unwanted piece and paint covers the cut line later.
Sticks well with pva (builders type) if you let it go sticky first, but still bit runny so its still workable. Takes paint well - well acrylic modelling or DIY masonry / emulsion paints. Masonry paints (I bought tester small tubs) gives a good surface when dry for dry brushing. But a mix of sand / pva (maybe a little water too) gives a good texture surface too for painting / dry brushing. I butt jointed my buildings and gave each an mdf base, (for extra rigidity to structure and better handling on games table) you can use dress straight pins (about an inch long) to hold butt joints in wall / building corners while pva dries. Where I got a curve a bit ragged or a joint not quite right then cheap ready mix "polyfilla" like fillers will fill even smallest gap or give smooth finish to curve. (I found a painters pallet knife with point made a good builders trowel for those polyfilla jobs. (You can even mix in paint to filla if you want to blend filla with final paint job, but you can also simply paint over too.
Only job I found hard was trying to cut a / (45 degree bevel) into top of my styrofoam walls to add tiling. It may be that a fine modelling saw will do a better job than a sharp knife for this. But I didnt have anything finer than a small hacksaw or coping saw.

Enjoy, its fun and if you want to do a number of similar builds its worth making a thick card proforma of your gable end or house rear wall to help you cut the likes of curved gable top or stepped gable.
CarlL
Last edited by CarlL on 18 Jun 2021, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

OOPS wrong link!!

Here is what I bought and what it cost!

https://bluefoam.co.uk/checkout/order-r ... override=1

CarlL
bannockburn bhoy

Thanks Carl...10 x A3 5mm sheets for £8.99..they are out of stock just now but i will definitely tap into that later , cheers John