Paddy Fields? Ideas please

A place for your pictures and tips
CarlL

Paddy Fields? Ideas please

Post by CarlL »

Help please gents, and any others out there.
I am looking to create some flooded paddy-fields for games set in China. And I am wanting to tap into your modelling skills or modelling experiences to help me get started.
It doesn't matter if your ideas or experiences relate to one scale only like 15mm or 28mm (although probably ideas linked to 6mm or 2mm wont work with my 20mm ish toys). And I am equally open to "successful" stories as "do not do" stories as I think about getting started.
And although I love messing about with glue, plaster, wood card, plastic card, mdf etc., I am not averse to cheating and buying some paddy fields if you know of good ones or naff ones to "tart up". (Not sure if that's a non-pc technical term in modelling?).
I have never really dabbled with that goo that makes rrealistic water but if you persuade me it makes the best model paddy fields then I will give it a try... perhaps... or run off to the ready made purchase counter... (if any where has such an item).

I am not planning to do any more than make "bad going" for my tabletop games that hopefully look like a paddy field - photos below (for those who think I am being rude about my Irish cousins, I am not, honestly) to illustrate my dilemma about where to start, photos drawn from google search for illumination only. (No copyright breach intended)
You may have made them for Vietnam games or other places, as I am not aware of geographical differences in how they are made in Asia, so share what you know even if its not made for China.

Thanks in advance to any and all who offer advice..... (I even include Granty in this.... I may regret this of course... mutter ... mutter..)
CarlL

PS Of course what I forgot to say is I am thinking of paddy fields in river valleys not on a hillside, and of course real life (as the photos show) paddy fields come in a variety of appearances and topographical places due to human ingenuity. I am looking for a wet look paddy field to suggest an obstacle to movement by any other than wading people or animals. CarlL
CarlL

Re: Paddy Fields? Ideas please

Post by CarlL »

This is a simple and helpful technique I found with a google search. There are other youtube films I have not yet investigated so all ideas welcomed.
CarlL
see http://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/ ... ields.html
granty101

Post by granty101 »

CarlL wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 20:08 Help please gents, and any others out there.

Thanks in advance to any and all who offer advice..... (I even include Granty in this.... I may regret this of course... mutter ... mutter..)
CarlL
Hello Carl, and sorry for the late reply...but on this topic, even I'd be stuck to offer advice, but I'll try.

Firstly, what size area are you trying to cover? (i.e. how big a field do you want?)
Secondly, What is your modelling budget? (Fake water and resin type products aren't going to be cheap if you want a massive field).

So, my idea would be this;

Find a small intact cardboard box and cut the top off. Paint the base a brown or muddy colour. Let that dry, then glue rice plants, (or similar), to the base and let them dry. Make up a 60/40 solution of PVA glue and water, (the figure quoted will be a 'trial and error' figure), and then pour this mixture into your 'mould' box. Let it all dry until it's quite stiff, then cut off the surrounding cardboard, so you're effectively left with a base of plants and water looking area.

The down side to the above method is that your rice field won't be flat, but will contain a 'lip' around it.

The basic principle I have described above is what modellers use to cast new parts in resin, but as you're making a field, I don't know how you'd get it flush/flat to your table top.

Sorry, I can't be more help.

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Cheers Grant.
The idea of paddy field is that it has banks so it can flooded for planting up then drying out and the banks / irrigation system controlling water flow.
Mind there was a drought in the area at period I am looking at. !!
CarlL
granty101

Post by granty101 »

CarlL wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 17:50
Mind there was a drought in the area at period I am looking at. !!
CarlL
Carl, is it just me or are you jinxed?? :lol:

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!