Show Us Your Recycled Toys!

A place for your pictures and tips
billk

Re: Show Us Your Recycled Toys!

Post by billk »

All good stuff.
David, really like those Woody conversions. Always like seeing before-n-after pics.
Will, I have a friend that recycled one of the Thomas the Tank Engine Barges into a coastal freighter.
David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

Thanks all. I don't have a decent photo of it at the moment, but I also did one of the 1940 Ford "Surfer Woodie" conversions for my Romanians, based on this photo of the real thing:

While I don't have a Thomas the Tank Engine, years ago I did manage to score a couple of gondola cars and a tank car from the Thomas set while they were on clearance sale at Hobby Lobby. Thanks to Alan, I also have a couple of Dapol locomotives and some more OO scale rolling stock to go with them.

More diecast conversions still to follow...

David
billk

Post by billk »

First are three pieces pressed into service with my DAK. The two matching trucks are originally IHC civilian die casts. The other is a 50 year old Matchbox-Lesney Scammel...

Another picture of the Scammel, converted and in its original form...

This Soviet truck was originally one of the IHC civilan die casts - it was heavily worked over. Part of a friend's collection.
David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

Very nice, Bill. Two of the IHC vans you sent will be getting similar conversions to light signals vans, one for my Italian East African forces, and the other for the Italians in Greece or Russia. The IHC tanker truck will become a Fiat 15ter light utility, also for Italian East Africa.

A couple more diecast conversions, lurking in the background behind Iraqi armor and artillery, and a company of Iraqi desert police.

The staff car is a Hot Wheels 1940 Ford Tudor Sedan. As others have pointed out, it is really pushing the boundaries of being too overscale for 20mm gaming at almost 1/60 scale, so to make it a bit more believable I scribed in a set of rear doors, and added extra window posts and door handles to make it into the slightly larger Fordor sedan. The model is still rather large for the job, but good enough for my purposes.

The requisitioned Iraq Petroleum Company truck started out as a Corgi Cameo 1933 Morris C-type tanker truck, and was converted into an oil company work truck. The very large original head lights were replaced with slightly smaller ones. IPC logos and markings are homemade decals.

David
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

My Federal commander`s staff car (formally a lledo sedan)

The tow i built from the Matchbox Chevy

French ambulance (repaint)

French naval van (repaint)

Pernod delivery van being used as a tow (this is a total repaint and i printed the posters off myself)
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
billk

Post by billk »

You guys have quite the selection of civilian toys-to-military miniatures!
billk

Post by billk »

David Reasoner wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 05:37 The IHC tanker truck will become a Fiat 15ter light utility, also for Italian East Africa.
David, will be looking forward to seeing this conversion. I have one of those tanker trucks sitting here waiting for me to decide it's fate. Bill
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Thanks David, Alan, Richard,
for the great photos. Inspiring.
CarlL
dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu »

A couple of Lledo fire engines repurposed into artillery tractors. The 6" howitzers are card, paper, sprue and a pair of scrap box wheels.

I needed some Italian looking personnel transport and portees. The 47mm guns are spue and wire with scrap bot wheels

Thomas the Tank Engine steam traction engines towing (you guessed it) card, paper and sprue guns

The Padre
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Those guns are just superb Alan :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908