WWII WIP

A place for your pictures and tips
billk

Re: more WWII in 1:87 WIP

Post by billk »

Richard B. wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 20:15 I like the faded camo on the Europian one :D
Thanks Richard, that tank is one of my favorite end products.
David Reasoner

Re: WWII in 1:87 WIP

Post by David Reasoner »

Bill, the Roco Pzkw.III have painted up quite nicely.
billk wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 13:59 David, I'll leave the very fine technical details to you experts! As much as I love history, gaming, modeling, and all those interests encompass, I live by the mantra that these are war "games" and give myself a little leeway when approaching such things. As long as I keep my Panthers out of the Pacific, my M3 Lee/Grants out of Finland, and, well, you get the point. :lol: :D
Not sure that I should really be called an "expert", and I certainly didn't mean to come across as critical in any way. As Richard and possibly others here can tell you, I've certainly hacked apart, modified, and repainted my share of Hot Wheels, Maisto, and Corgi diecast toys to make them "close enough for government work" for wargaming use. The resulting vehicles will almost never withstand inspection by a real expert, and nor are they intended to. I was really just thinking out loud regarding the IHC diecasts and how I would likely use them. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on eBay, courtesy of the link you so kindly provided, and will snatch up a couple when the opportunity presents itself. My sincere apologies for any misunderstanding I may have caused. :oops:

David
billk

Post by billk »

David, you don't give yourself enough credit on the knowledge front. Over the years I have read, and I'm certain many others on this forum have read, your posts concerning equipment specifics and you really do have a grasp of many, many facts and details. Regarding the other thing, I know you well enough from our interactions to know you weren't being critical. No worries at all here. Certainly an internet misunderstanding if you thihk I was bothered.

BTW I'll dig around and see if there is an orphaned IHC truck in one of my stash boxes so you can get "hands on" before you run out and purchase a motor battalion's worth of them.

Cheers, Bill
billk

Post by billk »

Some additional stowage added to the current WIP; along with a little white putty muddying up of lower surfaces and these are ready for some primer.
The Semovente in the back row (a Heisers Model resin kit) has just been stripped of its old paint job and will refurbished for my DAK.

Some World Tank Depot Crusader 1s in "the soup."
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Tankers have to stow their kit somewhere, this tends to make their vehicles look like gypsy caravans on campaign :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Bilk,
What is in your "soup" bucket? (Or are we better not knowing !!??)
CarlL
billk

Post by billk »

CarlL... it is a brush cleaner, mostly acetone. I usually use a 3M stripper that is less noxious and more environmentally friendly, but was out of it and was looking to finish off the brush cleaner... figured I was safe using it on the metal. Did a great job.
billk

Post by billk »

While the Crusaders are drying and awaiting a final dry-brush scrub, I started work on these two pieces. The observation halftrack is a Heiser's, now Lakewood Military, model. The Sdkfz 250/7 is a Trident model. Always impressed with Trident's detail... and, yes, this mortar was a little tricky to get set straight.

billk

Post by billk »

A basecoat on the Pzkw IIIs and the beginnings of blocking-in color...

Two more vehicles headed to the priming que... a Trident Sdkfz 250 with 2.8 taper bore and a Roco M4 with a Heiser turret.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Excellent I really like the sdkfz250s very clean models :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908