WWII in 1:87 WIP

A place for your pictures and tips
billk

Re: WWII in 1:87 WIP

Post by billk »

@CarlL... thanks. Since my gaming for North Africa focuses on Tunisia, where the soil runs between reddish dirt and sand, I tend to lean towards the reddish dirt aspect of the terrain because it adds a little color to things. Because of this approach to weathering, my German vehicles are not really suited for earlier British-German actions in the Western Desert; however, the use of the reddish dirt does allow for a more believeable look when employing some of my North African Germans in gaming my other interest, 1944 Southern France / Op Dragoon.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

billk wrote: 29 May 2021, 13:32 Time and painting mojo worked in my favor the past couple weeks.
First is the trio of plastic Roco Pzkw IIIs...

next is the resin Heisers Models observation halftrack, a plastic Wiking Opel Blitz radio-staff van, and a die cast metal toy conversion... its a Hasbro Titantium Series Indiana Jones Truck pressed into service as a psuedo-Einheits. This kit runs about 1/89 but what the heck.

Those are very nice mate - WOW
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
billk

Post by billk »

Thanks guys.
Now if I can keep up a decent production pace for a couple more weeks...
billk

Re: 1:87 WWII WIP - M10s plus

Post by billk »

A few more pieces of Roco almost finished-up. Just need to get to the metal tips on the track edges.
Really happy with the finished products; particularly the M10s.

More to follow... but don't know when given we are into the summer months.
David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

Very nice, Bill! I found a spare Roco M10/M36 in the stash during the move. If you can use it, it's yours.

David
Richard B.

Re: 1:87 WWII WIP - M10s plus

Post by Richard B. »

billk wrote: 04 Jun 2021, 15:04 A few more pieces of Roco almost finished-up. Just need to get to the metal tips on the track edges.
Really happy with the finished products; particularly the M10s.

More to follow... but don't know when given we are into the summer months.
Those are very nice mate :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
billk

Post by billk »

Bad weather gave me a chance to finish a trio of M3 Staurts... previously shown when they were still in black primer.
(Have to say you guys have energized me and my recent output has been far above normal.)

ooops, just realized I forgot to detail the ends of the gun barrels!
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Hope by "detailing end of the gun barrel" you meant 'forgot to add black dot for barrel depth' otherwise I am getting worried my eyes simply don't see like yours Bilk! (Grant will be telling me I should have gone to specsavers, no doubt!)
More great work and not sure how you did it (as not sure I see evidence of wash or dry brush) but you picked out the detail on those lovely Stuart tanks real lovely.
CarlL
billk

Post by billk »

CarlL wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 07:23 Hope by "detailing end of the gun barrel" you meant 'forgot to add black dot for barrel depth' otherwise I am getting worried my eyes simply don't see like yours Bilk! (Grant will be telling me I should have gone to specsavers, no doubt!)
More great work and not sure how you did it (as not sure I see evidence of wash or dry brush) but you picked out the detail on those lovely Stuart tanks real lovely.
CarlL

That is exactly what I meant CarlL. No way am I going to attempt to drill-out 1/87 scale resin 37mm gun barrels! Yes, they were drybrushed... normal desert sand for the dust, not as heavy with the application of reddish earth as some of the other recent projects. The detail on these models was nicely cast so it was friendly to a drybrush technique. Better photography would give you a better look. :lol:

Thanks for commenting.
(BTW my eyes have gone too.)
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

billk wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 21:31 Bad weather gave me a chance to finish a trio of M3 Staurts... previously shown when they were still in black primer.
(Have to say you guys have energized me and my recent output has been far above normal.)

ooops, just realized I forgot to detail the ends of the gun barrels!
The M3 is one of my all-time favourite tanks :D