progress on Italian houses & ruins from S&S models

A place for your pictures and tips
CarlL

progress on Italian houses & ruins from S&S models

Post by CarlL »

Well not yet finished (ie rooftops to do and some basing work to do) but enough progress to make it worth while (I hope) to post some new (and better, I hope!) photos, with help of my new small digital compact camera.
First up the two storey house with walls done, and a simple first floor added (from foam board scrap).

Second up the smaller house thats ground level only.

Third up the external staircase, which I bought to copy an idea from Shaun or Stewart at S&S models, to cut out a doorway from upper floor window to convert the two storey house above. I forgot! No doorway. (Just have to buy another house!) Although I did change a ground floor window that I thought too large into two smaller windows. Can you spot which one(s) above?

Next up one of the two identical ruins I bought and which I think are now finished!

Lastly photos of one of the two piece rubble sets (now both finished) which can be added to the ruins above to create bigger ruin pile! As shown below.

Enjoy
CarlL
Richard B.

Re: progress on Italian houses & ruins from S&S models

Post by Richard B. »

Excellent
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

The rooftops take shape!
Hopefully this gives a clear idea of how the two S&S models resin half rooftops are "joined" by separate ridge tiles, which are made from metal castings about an inch (2.5cm if you like) long and with a T shape. The top of the T being the ridge tiles; and the T tail 'falls' between the resin halves.
The models come with extras I have not mentioned (like metal window shutters with the ruins) and these two rooftops came with inverted V shape resin formers, one per roof. I have replaced these, with two balsa formers per rooftop, to help hold the roof as one inverted V I can lift on and off.
CarlL
This is the roof of the single storey building and has a flatter inverted V profile.
This is the roof of the two storey building and has a striking inverted V profile.
sandsmodels

Post by sandsmodels »

looks like some one has worked out how to make the roofs :lol:
looks ok to me
sandsmodelshop.com
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Yeah! Only took me two (?!) years! But worth waiting for.
And I still glued one piece on the wrong way round, but given how hard it is using pva on such small contact points I wasnt about to pull it apart and restick it!
There is lots of detail and even after several dry brishings with lighter coat there is stil scope for either use of washes or more highlighting with lighter colour to bring out the pantile detail. But only after I get ridge tiles base colour on to match rest of roof! (one for my red oxide primer spray when we next get a sunny / dry day to let me do that task outside! Could be a few days away from weather forcast in North Yorkshire!)
I will have to search for the house model code to get another to use with the external staircase!
It is a pleasure to paint such external detail, (and a therapy... you have to take time, and be patient, and mindful, even in a random way of swopping paint colour and just hitting one exposed stone at a time!) and the external stone and crumbling plaster detail is one of the big advantages of resin over mdf buildings. Nice one S&S!
CarlL
sandsmodels

Post by sandsmodels »

sounds good to me
sandsmodelshop.com
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

I wasnt happy with some of the gaps between ridge tiles and pantile roof so I filled them in with good old filler (just like you would put mortar on the real thing!) Before repainting!
CarlL