Mostly Tumbling Dice WW1 Arab regulars
Two Combat Miniatures LRDG crew as British NCOs
Same two figs with an SHQ British officer as company commander
So I painted up 3 x 9 fig platoons (each has a Lewis LMG team) plus a 5-fig HQ
HQ
1st platoon
2nd platoon
3rd platoon

Patrol truck (a Ford G8 by PST), the driver is another Combat Miniatures LRDG guy, the Lewis gunner Tumbling Dice

All together
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

David Reasoner

Re: TransJorden Frontier Force

Post by David Reasoner »

Lovely work, Richard!

I think I still have a few of those figures in the stash, obtained with the same notion in mind as part of my 1941 Iraqi Revolt collection. Back when I was still in the resin casting business, I turned out a number of 1939-40 Ford truck cabs for Alan H. to use for creating TJFF patrol trucks, and had planned to turn out a few for myself as well.

David

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

David Reasoner wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 21:02
Lovely work, Richard!

I think I still have a few of those figures in the stash, obtained with the same notion in mind as part of my 1941 Iraqi Revolt collection. Back when I was still in the resin casting business, I turned out a number of 1939-40 Ford truck cabs for Alan H. to use for creating TJFF patrol trucks, and had planned to turn out a few for myself as well.

David
Cheers David :D

I am just going to use my generic British/Free French transport, it just happened I had the PST kit and decided I may as well built it as a patrol truck anyways :D

I found the keffiyeh/shemagh a bit of a challenge :D

A company`s worth of Commonwealth Indian troops next up :ugeek:
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Lovely work Richard.
Your painting mojo is in full swing.
The Arab headdress of the Arab Legion and other Arabic troops, tribal or regular forces (whether in Arab or Turkish or British pay and training), are a challenge; not just to painting skills, but sense of perspective, as up close its like pointalism gone mad, but from a distance the bright colours would perhaps blend into background?
One to test out or ask those working abroad to test out if you get picky!
Is it dots of colour or bands of colour or just a mash thats a faded look at a distance?

So its case of pleasing ones own perspective and your figures have a pleasing headdress worthy of its Arab traditions albeit a head on a 20mm figure!
They brought to mind Pasha Gubb of the Arab Legion. see borrowed / edited photos below from military.trader.com and partial reproduction of an Osprey frontplate on their book, The Arab Legion by Peter Young.
CarlL

CarlL

Post by CarlL »

There is a brief but interesting article on "Arabic" headgear at https://www.militarytrader.com/militari ... hs-turbans
CarlL

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Carl

Thanks for the input, I realised quite early on I could do little more than dots or stripes - my fine brush control just isn`t good enough for anything more detailed.

I went for red stripes over a white base with black cords, I then added a star burst pattern to the very crown (inside the cords) of the keffiyeh/shemagh which seems to draw the eye and creates a pattern illusion on the whole effect :) More luck than judgment :lol:

Anyway these are now done an packed away for their journey to Spain and the Indians are cleaned and based ready for undercoating :ugeek: