Conus Gun

A place for your pictures and tips
Richard B.

Conus Gun

Post by Richard B. »

A bit of history

Whilst adapting the French Mle1897 75mm to fire from the back of a truck wasn`t a new idea. Captains Maurice Bayrou and Yves Belan had already built a simple vehicle by piecing a moon shaped hole in the trucks deck into which the end of the guns trail sat.
Lieutenant Adrien Conus (1900-1947), a Moskow-born civil engineer working in the Colonies before he joined the FFL. He served as master sergeant with 2nd Battalion de Marche and had already adapted several Bren carriers to carry French 25mm AT guns which took part in the defence of Bir-Hakeim, where he was injured.
Conus mounted the legendary 75mm Mle 1897 on Ford and Chevrolet 4x4 trucks, I`m not sure how many were built? Numbers vary in sources from a single squadron of 1st Moroccan Spahis to a couple of companies!
At least one became a casualty
Raventhorpe model
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

Gary

Re: Convus Gun

Post by Gary »

I do love a guntruck! More French goodness.......do they come on the base or is that your doing?
"The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes"

"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

As with all Ready to Roll models they come on a base
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

Very nice, Richard! Yet another project I haven't managed to finish for my own Free French. I always thought they were called Conus Guns after Lt. Conus, rather than Convus.

David

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

David Reasoner wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 05:28
Very nice, Richard! Yet another project I haven't managed to finish for my own Free French. I always thought they were called Conus Guns after Lt. Conus, rather than Convus.

David
Oops I miss-typed - d`oh! :oops:

David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

Richard B. wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 07:39
Oops I miss-typed - d`oh! :oops:
Richard, you were so consistent in all of your posts (blog, FB, forum) that I thought maybe I was missing something... :D

David

MrCreak

Re: Conus Gun

Post by MrCreak »

A gun on a truck! It's a pity the French don't have a word for portee... :)

Richard B.

Re: Conus Gun

Post by Richard B. »

MrCreak wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 22:13
A gun on a truck! It's a pity the French don't have a word for portee... :)
Montee :D