Late war Panzerjaeger IV

A place for your pictures and tips
Adler Leon

Late war Panzerjaeger IV

Post by Adler Leon »

This is the Dragon kit painted to represent one of the two available to 9thSS at Arnhem.
Its got the standard muted ( we dont have a lot of paint) late war camo scheme, life colour paint through a Iwata B plus with all the usual panel washes, chips etc. Standard weathering with pastels etc.

Crew Adler ( as you'd expect! lol).
L

CarlL

Re: Late war Panzerjaeger IV

Post by CarlL »

Leon
your model looks great.

On a cheeky note (from me) I think we went to different painting schools: what is "life colour paint through a Iwata B plus with all the usual panel washes, chips etc. Standard weathering with pastels etc."????

Probably because I never got beyond grade "ply it with paint using brush sizes 3 to 0, and dry brush with flat half inch brush, or if really overkill, add an ink wash with number 3 brush" school of painting!!

Look forward to more of your models and learning more of your painting schoolstyle!
Carl cheekily and hopefully not rudely ;)

Adler Leon

Post by Adler Leon »

Hello Carl,
Thank you.
Well more of a sculptor, 35th scale modeller than Wargamer these days so tend to use that terminiology.
Life Color are a make of acrylics from Italy and a Iwata HP Plus B is a well known airbrush.
Panel wasing is just dropping layers of washes into a vehicles panels lines and making them flow along the gaps to emphasise edges, chipping done various ways the simplest is to paint a 'scratch' of slightly lighter base colour then paint dark grey into this leaving a fine line of the lighter paint around the grey. Gives the effect of chipped paint.
Artists pastels are just that or modellers pigments just powders that can be 'dusted' on to add weatherimg.
Plently of sources of good methods out there, sites like Armourama. Missing Lynx, Wargames Forum has some classy painters on it.
I'll leave those better at painting and explaining to be give more detailed descriptions.
Hope that helps
L

CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Thanks Leon.

A mini tutorial on what I have missed out on. I think my limited knowledge probably reflects the differences in modelling and wargaming styles historically , in magazines and paitning style; although from some of the splendid work seen on this site there is obviously a band of gamers who want to produce top knotch finishes on their models and figures to "collectors standard". I am not sure I would then be able to watch them getting handled on the wargames table! And I have definitely got clumsier as I get older... but its tempting to have a go at repainting earlier models when my knowledge and my technique (or lack of it) was limited.

I assumed from your comments about using your own Adler crew figures that this is 20mm (1/76, or 1/72) scale model rather than 1/35 scale favoured by modellers per se, so all the more impressive application and results.

Very helpful Leon.
CarlL
Last edited by CarlL on 28 Jul 2020, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Thanks Leon.

A mini tutorial on what I have missed out on. I think my limited knowledge probably reflects the differences in modelling and wargaming styles historically , in magazines and paitning style; although from some of the splendid work seen on this site there is obviously a band of gamers who want to produce top knotch finishes on their models and figures to "collectors standard". I am not sure I would then be able to watch them getting handled on the wargames table! And I have definitely got clumsier as I get older... but its tempting to have a go at repainting earlier models when my knowledge and my technique (or lack of it) was limited.

I assumed from your comments about using your own Adler crew figures that this is 20mm (1/76, or 1/72) scale model rather than 1/35 scale favoured by modellers per se, so all the more impressive application and results.

Very helpful Leon.
CarlL
Last edited by CarlL on 28 Jul 2020, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

hammurabi70

Post by hammurabi70 »

CarlL wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 21:51
Probably because I never got beyond grade "ply it with paint using brush sizes 3 to 0, and dry brush with flat half inch brush, or if really overkill, add an ink wash with number 3 brush" school of painting!!
I think that counts as advanced painting by my standards. :mrgreen: :roll:
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

Adler Leon

Post by Adler Leon »

lol,
Different styles for different situations, I painted 300 Gallic warrior 15mm in an evening once in ermegency prep for a Salute game, they stay in their carry box in the dark.................... :roll:
I dont get a lot done so when I do I try to go for the best job I can do.

Yes I develop a twitch when the most hamfisted 'they are only gaming tokens' type heads towards my Revell Pz IV's, I steer them towards the PSC type stuff............

L

CarlL

Post by CarlL »

More lovely models and photos, Leon.
Have used bluecard for background?
CarlL

Adler Leon

Post by Adler Leon »

Hello Carl,
Yes a piece of light blue A3 card.