Charge of the Paras at Arnhem....

A place for your pictures and tips
panzerman47

Charge of the Paras at Arnhem....

Post by panzerman47 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:10 pm

Well actually there isn't an AAR, as the scenario is ioho fairly pointless from a wargames point of view. Paras charge, Paras get slaughtered, game over..... :)
Don't get me wrong, the game played out as it did in real life, with absolutely no chance of it going any other way, which is fine if you like that sort of thing. We did have fun, trying to work out how many companies of Paras would be slaughtered each turn..... :lol:

I guess my thoughts are that I have zero interest in gaming a pre-programmed scenario, where the result is absolutely only ever going to go one way. Just me, but I suspect many others feel the same way. I put it down to starting off wargaming with Charles Grant's " Battle-Practical Wargaming" book, where it was much much more of a "game" than a straight (and imho boring) historical refight. Some BG scenarios are guilty of the same thing, so it is not restricted to some RF supplements, or indeed many other rule sets. Hopefully when the new much vaunted RF Arnhem book is released things will be for the better..... thmbs2)

For now some of the pics of the game from last week....

CarlL

Re: Charge of the Paras at Arnhem....

Post by CarlL » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:06 pm

Well panzerman47,

there you have it: game or historical refight. (Beautiful photos of beautiful terrain and figures / models by the way and our third reason for gaming... the spectacle!)

Having played Soviet 1941 commanders on Eastern Front many a time, I know your frustration. I once commanded two divisions who got minced by a Romanian German battlegroup. It often led to same question: Why did we do it. IMHO, it was to re-visit the battlefield of the time, knowing the outcome, wondering if anything different could be achieved, and left to think about all those real men (and sometimes women) who never stood a chance. I am not a pacifist but my attempts at historical games has taught me a lot of the futility and waste that war begets; and how sometimes a nation or cause fights for survival despite the costs: Finland in 1940? Russia 1941-45? Britain 1939-45? But lets not slip into depression ....

The spectacle of your games was great (from your photos).

The intent of your lead heroes great, their sacrifice deadly, you lost your desire for desperate historical refights, hopefully the game lives on. (Perhaps a what if refight?)

great photos
CarlL

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:41 pm

Great looking game and kit as per usual John, your games are the benchmark aesthetically ,spectacular. :D :D :D

For WW2 I dont replicate any actual battles or actions. I have done games of a similar nature ,multiple river crossings etc
involving similar units etc , but not identical either in terrain ,place names , or organisation of units.

I have no problem with anyone that does ,but for me ,its a no no. It stems from the fact that my Da fought in these theatres ,his brother was killed in action in the breakout from Caen ,and it is just to weird for me personally.

Another thing that has got me into trouble with the purists (for want of a better name) is that in terms of equipment if something was in theatre at a given time I would include it in the organisation ,as long as it was feasible ,ie not a King Tiger in 39.

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:22 am

Wonderful table John
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

Seret

Post by Seret » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:27 pm

Yep, certainly a good looking game even if the scenario was a bit iffy.

One way to make it more interesting might be to "gameify" it a bit more. If your force hasn't got much chance of defeating the enemy in the conventional sense then set your victory conditions so that they can win the game while still getting wiped out. Give them objectives (distance? key locations?) to reach and set the win/lose level at about what was achieved in real life? I'm a big fan of scenarios with different objectives for the two sides, they can cause of a lot of chaos and fun.

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:28 pm

Seret wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:27 pm
Yep, certainly a good looking game even if the scenario was a bit iffy.

One way to make it more interesting might be to "gameify" it a bit more. If your force hasn't got much chance of defeating the enemy in the conventional sense then set your victory conditions so that they can win the game while still getting wiped out. Give them objectives (distance? key locations?) to reach and set the win/lose level at about what was achieved in real life? I'm a big fan of scenarios with different objectives for the two sides, they can cause of a lot of chaos and fun.
Yep, that is the only way to write no-win scenarios, give the under-dogs objectives or set strict time-tables (or casualty restrictions) on the other side.
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908