Ultra modern

Conflicts and wars in the 21st century.
bannockburn bhoy

Ultra modern

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 31 Mar 2019, 18:00

In ultra modern warfare how much of the highly technical kit available do people transfer on to the gaming table.
Particularly in 20mm scale gaming. cheers John

MrCreak

Re: Ultra modern

Post by MrCreak » 01 Apr 2019, 19:04

Er... what highly technical kit do you mean?
Tanks and aircraft, sure.
I've 3D printed some Claymore markers, got the AA missile systems, AT missile systems, planning on making some ADSID-type (Igloo White) markers, got some small UAVs, some radar systems...

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 02 Apr 2019, 16:18

Er...i was thinking along the lines of radar systems ,counter battery and missile systems ,drones etc... not your MBT,s etc :D

MrCreak

Post by MrCreak » 02 Apr 2019, 17:59

bannockburn bhoy wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 16:18
Er...i was thinking along the lines of radar systems ,counter battery and missile systems ,drones etc...
Yep, all of them.
Oh and ATGWs in flight - because the rules we use dictate that they hit only after everything else has been resolved (the relatively slow flight time when compared to gun systems means there's a chance of the launcher/operator being taken out of the picture before the missile hits).

UshCha

Post by UshCha » 02 Apr 2019, 23:38

I guess its not the figure scale but the ground scale. We do use ATGW's and battle management systems as part of our games. Not so much counter battery as the support is often on shoot and scoot so counter battery does not get much of a look in so too many rules for too little gain. Drones we have not used but thats more personal preference than any other reason. GSR is possible but again we tend not to use it at this scale.

AAA not used see my comments in air support thread.

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 03 Apr 2019, 09:17

MrCreak wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 17:59
bannockburn bhoy wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 16:18
Er...i was thinking along the lines of radar systems ,counter battery and missile systems ,drones etc...
Yep, all of them.
Oh and ATGWs in flight - because the rules we use dictate that they hit only after everything else has been resolved (the relatively slow flight time when compared to gun systems means there's a chance of the launcher/operator being taken out of the picture before the missile hits).
What rules are you using to accommodate all of this please

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 03 Apr 2019, 09:21

UshCha wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 23:38
I guess its not the figure scale but the ground scale. We do use ATGW's and battle management systems as part of our games. Not so much counter battery as the support is often on shoot and scoot so counter battery does not get much of a look in so too many rules for too little gain. Drones we have not used but thats more personal preference than any other reason. GSR is possible but again we tend not to use it at this scale.

AAA not used see my comments in air support thread.
Counter battery tech plays a sizeable part in the Russian ethos ..I have heard gamers say with regard to ultra modern you have to draw the line somewhere ,but to what detriment to the realistic replication of what would normally happen tactically

MrCreak

Post by MrCreak » 03 Apr 2019, 11:43

bannockburn bhoy wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 09:17
What rules are you using to accommodate all of this please
It's a home-grown set (dating back, in basics, to the late 1970s). Written as a campaign base where equipment price is based on model price (and countries get a military budget of around £35-£60 per week). Probably needs revamping with the increase in kit prices these days.
I kept the actual combat simple (gun damage is d6 or d8 - the latter for hollow charge weapons - x calibre in mm with modifiers for muzzle velocity, tank "resilience" based on total weight[1]) with 1/2 that value sustained causing either a mobility kill or a firepower kill, 3/4 being a knock-out but field In-game) repairable and anything equalling or exceeding that value is a kill, which may or may not be repairable back at the factory.

If you're interested I can send you a set, with "editable" data tables (MS Excel format) so you can add anything I've missed: the game also accommodated kit-bashed player designs, and rules for designing your own stuff. (Originally written when kits were truly "pocket money" prices and buying a couple of kits to build your own "perfect tank" was viable for even junior members with limited income).

1 It does give some anomalies - the most notable being the Airfix WWI tank capable of taking nearly as much damage as a Comet - but it did make for fun games, and caused a reverse arms race when a friend and I bought each other birthday/ Xmas presents that were deliberately chosen to be "useful" in the game but also chosen to have a combat worth of slightly more than bugger all[2]. IIRC the WWI tank ended up with vertical launch missiles, a couple of gatling self defence systems and uprated engines...
2 This was a necessity because my best mate was my chief opponent. Because he's a mate I couldn't give him rubbish, but as an opponent I knew that whatever I bought him came "free" in the game (as a "gift from from a superpower") and would be used against me.

Seret

Post by Seret » 04 Apr 2019, 11:36

About the only Ultra-modern I do is using Osprey's excellent little Black Ops ruleset for small-scale irregular skirmish stuff (lots of spooks and Spec Ops).

They do include some rules for EW, and you can hack computers and such. There's scope for deployment by helicopters (and HALO) and the presence of a MANPADS asset will prevent the former and also airstrikes (which are treated as off-table indirect fire). There's also RF IEDs and the ability to use jammers on them.

There are a ton of weapons and equipment options. Night vision, NBC gear, flashbangs, etc. Weapons include all the small arms (including silenced and suppressed ones), up to ATGMs (although RPGs and disposable LAWs would be much more common).

Drones don't actually feature on-table, but some factions do have better SIGINT/recce that can reveal enemy blinds at the start of the game. That's abstracted away but obviously drones could have been used.

Overall I think it covers some of the tech relevant to the small scale pretty well. There's even a "five minutes from now" section at the back that includes some speculative future tech like exoskeletons and active camouflage.

granty101

Post by granty101 » 04 Apr 2019, 15:52

bannockburn bhoy wrote:
31 Mar 2019, 18:00
how much of the highly technical kit available do people transfer on to the gaming table.
Particularly in 20mm scale gaming. cheers John
John, the only 'highly technical' bit of kit I've seen recently is Carl's mobility scooter...and AFAIK, there isn't a model available in 20mm. :lol:

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!