Any other Modern gamers ?

Conflicts and wars from the end of the Second World War to the end of the 20th century.
Russell Phillips

Re: Any other Modern gamers ?

Post by Russell Phillips » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:28 am

1980s Western Europe is my favourite period :)

I used to have 6mm and 20mm figures for it, and am now slowly building up Soviet and British forces in 3mm. I hardly ever play these days, though.
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:37 am

I have a sizeable amount of 20mm Moderns ,Soviet Motor rifles ,Marines ,Special Forces and Support Troops.

Warsaw Pact , Polish ,East German , Bulgarian. All with Armour , Arty , Naval and Air Support.

Nato Forces in the shape of British infantry , Marines ,Paras , Mountain and Artic Warfare Cadre , SAS , SBS .

U S Infantry , National Guard , Support Troops , Marines , Airborne , and Special Forces .

French Infantry , French Foreign Legion . West German Infantry.

Again all with Arty , Naval ,and Air Support. Now mostly Campaign Games I use 1/1 scale figs, armour, afv,s , etc

Gary

Post by Gary » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:16 pm

20mm Soviet forces with tanks and apc's- suitable for Afghanistan and Europe, French and U.S. forces too but mostly geared towards the Middle East and /or Africa.......my British forces are post 2001 really......I do have 1982'ish IDF on the go and 1970/80's Czech infantry in the pipeline....
1/300 is all Cold War, hordes of Soviets-some can be Poles and East Germans, to roll westwards against West Germans and a Scandinavian brigade (actually a pile of leftover and mixed vehicles!) and a Team Yankee battlegroup as in the novel.
"The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes"

"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."

Dice Rustler

Post by Dice Rustler » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Yes, the odd game here and there. Our recent club games in 1:300 have included Japanese fighting off a modern Russian Naval landing, and an untimely scuffle between the Iranian and Iraqi forces. I also play 15mm AK-47 (where the game sometimes get uncomfortably close to reality). In previous years we've done a modern naval game (& written up in the Journal) and in 20mm various skirmishes set in the Middle-East.

Bernard

SOTCW799

Post by SOTCW799 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:08 pm

I have a West German/German modern army covering from the 1960's to about 2000 and I have a small Yugoslav force. I'm currently building a Soviet/Russian army ( this kind of spread out of the Yugoslav army) which covers a similar period to the German forces, but a couple of tanks are painted in the East German camouflage scheme and then there is my AK47 forces....All of my modern armies are in 1/300th scale thought my AK47 forces are mainly GHQ so 1/285 scale. Heroics & Ros's new figures and vehicles have been a spur to building up my modern armies.

panzerman47

Post by panzerman47 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:34 pm

Interesting replies, thanx for posting. More than I imagined to be honest. I haven't gamed it in years. We used adaptions I did for Rapid fire! (which Tim transposed into Rapid Fire! Able Archer) but were never really completely happy with them. They worked okay, but there were a lot of bolt ons and it showed really.

Richard C off the old Guild has written a set of adaptions for BG, so will see how they go.

sediment

Post by sediment » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:30 am

We played Richard's rules last night at the club and they played out really well. It was our first pass at them after an initital read through, so there was quite a bit of thumbing through to find things, but the game generally progressed really well and felt appropriate. Some of the Cold War warriors in our group watched and all agreed it provided a great game.

I'll post some pics on my blog over the weekend.

Cheers, Andy

sediment

Post by sediment » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:58 am

We gave the Unofficial Battlegroup Modern rules a try out on Thursday evening. It turned out to be a great game, with a nice period feel. No major issues came up in the game, a couple of things that might be an issue but we'll be playing them through again soon and probably a few times after that to see how they work out in different situations.

Report and some pics of our game on my blog.
https://sedimentswargameblog.blogspot.c ... ryout.html

Conclusion; First play through suggests it's a great game.

Cheers, Andy

David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:53 pm

We once did quite a bit of 6mm Cold War gaming using the old GDW Combined Arms rules, but that died out shortly after the Cold War did.

I also ran a 1980's "banana republic" sort of imagi-nations campaign in 20mm that lasted off and on from 1989 until 2004 before finally dying off. Still have the miniatures from it (along with the 1/700 scale navies that went with it) in storage. The initial inspiration was the old board game "Junta" in a pseudo South American setting, but the player countries and their miniature armed forces quickly outgrew the original concept. :)

David

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:24 pm

sediment wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:30 am
We played Richard's rules last night at the club and they played out really well. It was our first pass at them after an initital read through, so there was quite a bit of thumbing through to find things, but the game generally progressed really well and felt appropriate. Some of the Cold War warriors in our group watched and all agreed it provided a great game.

I'll post some pics on my blog over the weekend.

Cheers, Andy
Hi Andy Thanks for posting I follow Richard C coldwarhot as he has a lot of cool kit and ideas on there ,also he is generous in sharing what he does ,and I think really promotes the hobby.
Aesthetically his kit is always right up to scratch as well.
I will be interested in the final conclusion to the rules being play tested . cheers John